Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Wednesday, 11 January 2012

Venue: Room 21

10.30am The meeting commenced in public session

1. Apologies

As above

2. Chairperson’s Business

Agreed: The Committee noted a proposal from the Chairperson and agreed to write to the Department regarding accidents on the A4 as a result of traffic travelling in the wrong direction.

10.32am Mr Dickson and Mr Lynch entered the meeting

3. Draft Minutes

Agreed: The Committee agreed the minutes of the meeting of 13th December 2011.

4. Correspondence

10.38am Mrs Kelly entered the meeting

Members noted correspondence received.

Agreed: The Committee considered correspondence from the Committee for Health, Social Services and Public Safety and agreed to write to the Department to request that a more senior official is nominated to represent the Department on the Ministerial Group on Public Health.

Agreed: The Committee considered correspondence from the Committee for Enterprise, Trade and Investment regarding the draft Economic Strategy Action Plan and agreed to forward any comments to the Committee Clerk for inclusion in a Committee response.

Agreed: The Committee considered correspondence from Lord Empey of Shandon in relation to the Airports (Amendment) Bill 2011 and agreed to write to the Minister for Aviation and Minister for Regional Development to highlight the importance of regional access.

Agreed: The Committee considered correspondence from the Department regarding the A6 Londonderry to Dungiven Dual Carriageway.  Members noted a proposal from Mr Beggs and agreed to write to the Department seeking the cost per kilometre of each category of dual carriageway.

Agreed: The Committee considered correspondence from Ms Hazel Killen in relation to the proposed Old Church Road, Newtownabbey (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011 and agreed to decline the request to brief the Committee as the principal point of concern is a planning issue which falls outside the Committee’s remit.

5. Departmental Briefing: European Issues

10.41am The following officials joined the meeting:

Deborah McNeilly – Finance Director
Déaglán Coleman – Departmental EU Co-ordinator

The officials presented to Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

10.56am Mr Dickson left the meeting
10.59am Mr Doherty left the meeting
11.00am Mr Dickson rejoined the meeting
11.01am Mr Ó hOisín  left the meeting

Agreed: The Committee noted a proposal from the Chairperson and agreed to write to the Minister for Regional Development expressing support for the Minister’s position in relation to the proposals for TENT-T.  Members noted a proposal from Mr Byrne and agreed also to request that the Minister seeks to include the road network in the core network for funding.  Members also agreed to copy this correspondence to the Committee for the Office of the First Minister and Deputy First Minister.

11.03am The officials left the meeting

6. Draft Committee Response to the consultation on the draft Programme for Government 2011-15

Agreed: The Committee considered the draft response and agreed to forward any comments to the Committee Clerk for inclusion in a final Committee response.

7. Subordinate legislation not subject to Assembly procedure

Members noted:

  • SL1: The Control of Traffic (Belfast) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • SL1: The Parking and Waiting Restrictions (Omagh) (No. 2) (Amendment No. 2) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011

8. SL1: The Browning Drive Londonderry (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department indicating that the Committee is content with the policy merits of these proposals.

9. SL1: The Ballydogherty Road (U5003) Loughgilly (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department indicating that the Committee is content with the policy merits of these proposals.

10. SL1: The North Circular Road and Tarry Lane, Lurgan (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department indicating that the Committee is content with the policy merits of these proposals.

11. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: Members noted the forward work programme and agreed to advise the Committee office of availability to participate in forthcoming visits and to attend a meeting with the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Environment, Transport, Culture and Gaeltacht on 26th January 2012.

12. Any other business

Agreed: Members noted a proposal from Mr Byrne and agreed to invite the Minister for Regional Development to provide a general briefing to the Committee.

Date of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee will be Wednesday 18th January 2012 at 10.30am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

11.11am The meeting was adjourned

Mr Jimmy Spratt MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Regional Development
18th January 2012

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up