Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Wednesday, 01 June 2011

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

10.36am The meeting commenced in public session

Mr Moutray declared an interest in relation to the SL1 The M1/Trunk Road T3 (Motorway Service Area) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011

1. Apologies

As above

2. Draft Minutes

Agreed: The Committee agreed the minutes of the meeting of 25 th May 2011 subject to one amendment – the inclusion of Mr Beggs’ proposal to include a briefing from Road Service on the Capital Build Programme in the forward work programme.

3. Correspondence

Members noted:

  • Invitation from Belfast City Centre Management to a meeting on the Royal Exchange project.
  • Engage with Age’s ‘Moving Experiences’ Report
  • Investment Strategy for Northern Ireland Investing Activity Report for DRD
  • Press release on SUSTRAN’s National Cycle Network application

Members noted various press articles relating to the work of the Department and Northern Ireland Water

Agreed: The Committee noted an invitation from the Committee for OFMDFM for the Chairperson and deputy Chairperson to attend an EU issues discussion forum and agreed that the Chairperson and deputy Chairperson should attend on behalf of the Committee.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from Northern Ireland Water with a request to brief the Committee and agreed that such a briefing should be scheduled to coincide with the Committee’s visit to the NI Water call centre.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Big Lottery Fund with a request to brief the Committee and agreed to write to the Big Lottery Fund seeking a written briefing on the work of the organisation in areas directly related to the remit of this Committee.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from fonaCAB and Value Cabs with a request to meet the Chairperson and agreed that such a meeting should be arranged with the Chairperson and deputy Chairperson on behalf of the Committee.

Agreed: The Committee noted tabled correspondence from Mr Declan Gormley and noted that the legal proceedings in respect of this matter have been initiated. Members agreed to write to Mr Gormley to advise that as the matter is subjudice the Committee cannot make any comment.

Agreed: The Committee noted a proposal from Mr Beggs to seek clarification on the procurement status of the A5 and A8 as detailed in the Investment Strategy for Northern Ireland Investing Activity Report and agreed to write to the Department seeking further information.

4. Departmental Briefing: June Monitoring 2011

10.49am The following departmental officials joined the meeting:

Roger Downey – Finance Division 
Stuart Barnes – Head of Financial Planning and Management Branch 
John McNeill – Director of Finance, Road Service 
Stephen McKillop – Grade 7 Accountant – Public Transport

The officials presented to Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

Agreed: The Committee noted that the papers for this item were not supplied by the Department in time to be included in Members’ packs therefore preventing sufficient time for scrutiny. Members agreed to write to the Department regarding the timescales for provision of Committee papers as agreed by the Northern Ireland Executive and the Assembly Chairpersons’ Liaison Group

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek a briefing from the Department on structural maintenance issues at a date to be arranged by the Committee office.

11.10am The officials left the meeting

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department of Finance and Personnel strongly supporting the Department’s two high priority capital bids relating to roads structural maintenance.

11.14am Mr Doherty rejoined the meeting

5. Departmental Briefing: Belfast Rapid Transit & Belfast on the Move

11.15am The following departmental official joined the meeting:

Ciarán de Búrca – Director of Rapid Transit Division

The official presented to Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to carry out a study visit at a date to be confirmed to a region with a successful rapid transit system and agreed that the Committee office should make preliminary enquiries in respect of same.

11.52am The official left the meeting

6. Departmental Briefing: Plugged in Places

11.53am The following departmental officials joined the meeting:

Celia Chambers – Head of Transportation Policy Unit 
Tom Reid – Director of Transportation Policy

The officials presented to Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

12.17pm The officials left the meeting 
12.18pm Mr Lynch left the meeting

7. Subordinate legislation

The Committee noted the following SL1s:

  • SL1 - The Control of Traffic (Bangor) (Amendment) Order ) Northern Ireland) 2011;
  • SL1 - The Former Road (including Footpath) at the Westlink, Belfast (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011;
  • SL1 - The Cycle Routes (Amendment No.4) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011;
  • SL1 - The Ballyrobin Road (Route C28), Templepatrick (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011;
  • SL1 - The Lagmore Road, Lisburn (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011;
  • SL1 - The Crossbill Place, Lisburn (Footpaths) (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011;
  • SL1 - The Parking Places on Roads (Whiteabbey) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011;
  • SL1 - The Parking Places on Roads (Glengormley) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011;
  • SL1 - The Cycle Routes (Amendment No.3) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011 - Ballymoney;
  • SL1 - The Footpath between Ballymacash Road and Prince William Road, Lisburn (Abandonment) order (Northern Ireland) 2011;
  • SL1 - The Waiting Restrictions (Newry) (No.3) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011;
  • SL1 - The Parking Places (Disabled Persons' Vehicles) (Amendment No.8) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011;
  • SL1 - The Roads (Speed Limit No.2) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011;
  • SL1 - The Bus Lane (Shore Road, York Road and York Street, Belfast ) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011;
  • SL1 - The Old Mill Heights, Millbrook, Larne (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011;
  • SL1 - The Off-Street Parking (Amendment No.3) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011;
  • SL1 - The M1/Trunk Road T3 (Motorway Service Area) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011

Agreed: The Committee agreed that SL1 policy proposals subject to Assembly procedure and those not subject to Assembly procedure would be considered separately at future meetings.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department indicating that the Committee is content with the policy merits of these proposals.

8. Statutory Rule 2011/74 – Trunk Road T8 (Randalstown to Toome) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011

The Committee considered the above statutory rule.

Agreed: The Committee noted a proposal from Mr Beggs to seek clarification on whether funding for this road has been secured and agreed to write to the Department seeking further information. The Committee agreed to defer consideration of this rule.

9. Statutory Rule 2011/98 – Trunk Road T8 (Toome to Castledawson) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011

The Committee considered the above statutory rule.

Agreed: The Committee noted a proposal from Mr Beggs to seek clarification on whether funding for this road has been secured and agreed to write to the Department seeking further information. The Committee agreed to defer consideration of this rule.

10. Forward Work Programme

Members noted the draft forward work programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to hold a meeting and visit to the Northern Ireland Water call centre in Belfast on 15 th June 2011.

Agreed: The Committee noted a proposal from Mrs Kelly to write to the Chief Executive of Craigavon Borough Council seeking a copy of the Council’s report on rail closures in the Craigavon area and agreed that the Clerk should issue such a letter on behalf of the Committee.

11. Any Other Business

Agreed: The Committee noted press coverage in relation to the Department’s Public Consultation on the proposed York Street Interchange and noted that the Committee had not received a prior copy of the consultation papers. Members agreed to write to the Department requesting that in accordance with the timescales for interaction between departments and committees as agreed by the Northern Ireland Executive and the Assembly Chairpersons’ Liaison Group, the Committee wished to receive prior notification of any departmental consultations.

Agreed: Members noted a proposal from Mrs Kelly that the Chairperson’s speech on behalf of the Committee for the upcoming Assembly debate on the Budget should include comments regarding the importance of structural maintenance of the road network and the resultant effect on rural roads and incidence of road traffic accidents. Members agreed that these comments should be included in the speech and agreed that any further comments for incorporation into the Chair’s speech should be communicated to the Committee office.

12. Date of the next meeting

The next Committee meeting will be on Wednesday 8 June 2011 at 10.30am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

12.30pm The meeting was adjourned

Mr Jimmy Spratt MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Regional Development 
8 June 2011

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up