Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Wednesday, 21 September 2011

Venue: Room 30

1. Apologies

As above.

2. Chairperson’s Business

October Monitoring Round

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department advising that the October Monitoring Round paper is unavailable as Ministers are still considering the proposals.

Declaration of Interests

The Committee noted Mr Humphrey’s declaration of interests.

3. Draft minutes of the meeting held on 14 September 2011

Agreed: The draft minutes of proceedings of 14 September 2011 was agreed by the Committee.

4. Matters Arising

EU Advisory Panel

The Committee noted a response from the Committee for the Environment advising that they will be sending a representative to future European Panel meetings as appropriate.

Community Relations Council

The Committee noted a response from the Department providing the monthly Outturn forecast.

Research Paper – Children in Northern Ireland

The Committee noted a research paper providing further information on organisations which sit under Children in Northern Ireland’s umbrella.

Research Paper – Transgender issues

The Committee noted a research paper providing further information on cross gender issues.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward a copy of the Research Paper to the Equality Commission for Northern Ireland on behalf of the Belfast Butterfly Club, which will now deal directly with the Equality Commission. (Mr Clarke requested that his opposition to the action point be noted).

List of Outstanding Issues

The Committee considered the list of outstanding issues.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Ministers to request copies of the responses to the consultation on the draft Programme for Cohesion, Sharing and Integration and copies of the analyses of the responses as soon as possible.

5. Correspondence

Committee for Finance and Personnel

The Committee noted items of correspondence from the Committee for Finance and Personnel in relation to Departmental Spending Plans, Budget Flexibility and Post Project Evaluations .

Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward correspondence from the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure concerning the UK City of Culture 2013 to the First Minister and deputy First Minister.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Ministers to request that they make representations to the Treasury to request that additional funding be provided for infrastructure in relation to the UK City of Culture 2013.

Committee for Education

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward correspondence from the Committee for Education concerning the current status of the Children and Young People’s Ministerial Sub-group to the Department.

Evangelical Alliance

The Committee considered correspondence from the Evangelical Alliance providing a copy of its submission for the forthcoming Programme for Government.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from the Evangelical Alliance on their submission.

Commission for Victims and Survivors Annual Report and Accounts 2009-10

The Committee noted the copy of the Commission for Victims and Survivors Annual Report and Accounts 2009/2010.

6. UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD)

Departmental officials joined the meeting at 2.29 p.m.

Mr Tim Losty and Dr Barbara Ward briefed the Committee on the response to the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. A question and answer session followed.

Mr Maskey left the meeting at 2.47 p.m.

Departmental officials left the meeting at 2.55 p.m.

7. Proposal to Update Legislation to Reform the Office of the Northern Ireland Ombudsman

Members further considered issues around the reform of the Office of the Ombudsman.

Mr Humphrey joined the meeting at 2.58 p.m.

Mr Maskey re-joined the meeting at 3.00 p.m.

Agreed: Members agreed in principle to an appointment process for the Northern Ireland Ombudsman.

Agreed: Members agreed to request further research in relation to the mechanisms for setting salary scales and in relation the list of bodies identified in the Deloitte report, which fall outside the Ombudsman’s remit.

8. Press Releases

The Committee noted a number of press releases.

9. Any Other Business

The Chairperson reminded Members of the Committee’s visit to Londonderry next week.

Committee Visit to Brussels

The Chairperson considered the travel arrangements for the Committee’s visit to Brussels and agreed to notify the Committee Office of their availability to attend.

10. Date, time and place of next meeting

The next meeting will be in St Columbs Peace and Reconciliation Centre, Londonderry on Wednesday 28 September 2011 at 3 p.m.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 3.45 p.m.

Mr Tom Elliott MLA
Chairperson,
Committee for the Office of the First Minister and deputy First Minister

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up