Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: Wednesday, 12 June 2013

Venue: The Ballroom, Ebrington

The meeting began at 2.34 pm in public session.

1. Apologies

As detailed above.

2. Chairperson's Business

Community Relations Council Launch of Young People at Interfaces Research

The Chairperson reminded Members of the Community Relations Council launch of Young People at Interfaces Research in the Long Gallery, at 5 p.m. on Tuesday 18 June 2013.

Meeting with the Victims and Survivors Forum

The Chairperson advised Members of the opportunity to meet with the Victims and Survivors Forum in Parliament Buildings on Thursday 20 June 2013 to be briefed on the work of the Forum.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that one Member from each party would attend the meeting.

Subsidiarity

The Committee considered an Explanatory Memoranda from the UK Government on a European Commission proposal on promoting free movement of citizens and businesses by simplifying the acceptance of certain public documents in the EU.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Committee for Finance and Personnel and the Committee for Justice to seek their views on the proposal.

Agreed: The Committee also agreed to seek legal advice from the Assembly's Legal Services on the European Commission proposal and subsidiarity.

Current OFMDFM Committee Invitations

Members noted the list of current invitations.

3. Draft Minutes of the meeting held on 5 June 2013

Agreed: The draft minutes of the proceedings of the 5 June 2013 were agreed by the Committee.

4. Matters Arising

Appointment of Equality and Human Rights Commissioners

The Committee noted a response from the Department in relation to the appointment of Commissioners to the Equality Commission and the Human Rights Commission.

List of Outstanding Issues
Members noted the list of outstanding issues.

Community Relations Council

The Committee considered correspondence from the Community Relations Council providing a copy of its initial views on the Together: Building a United Community document.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Clerk would liaise with the Assembly's Community Connect to look at how the Committee can engage on this issue.

5. Correspondence

Committee for Enterprise, Trade and Investment

The Committee considered correspondence from the Committee for Enterprise, Trade and Investment to the Department in relation to improving EU communication and information.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Committee for Enterprise, Trade and Investment to advise that the Committee will revisit this correspondence once the Committee has had the chance to consider the Assembly's report on enhancement of Assembly engagement in EU affairs.

Committee for Employment and Learning

The Committee considered correspondence from the Committee for Employment and Learning in relation to communication with the Barroso Desk Officers.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to seek clarification on the mechanisms for communication with the Barroso Desk Officers.

6. Ilex Urban Regeneration Company

Representatives from Ilex Urban Regeneration Company joined the meeting at 2.44 p.m.
Mr Moutray joined the meeting at 2.52 p.m.
Mr Lyttle joined the meeting at 2.59 p.m.
Mrs Hale left the meeting at 3.01 p.m.

Mr Mel Higgins, Acting Chief Executive, Mr Caoimhin Corrigan, Cultural Broker and Mr Gerard McCleave, Director of Strategy and Regeneration from Ilex Urban Regeneration Company briefed the Committee on the work of Ilex. Questions and discussion followed.

Representatives from Ilex Urban Regeneration Company left the meeting at 3.34 p.m.

7. One Plan and Former Military Sites

Departmental officials joined the meeting at 3.35 p.m.
Mr Moutray left the meeting at 4.08 p.m.

Departmental officials Mr Tim Losty, Ms Judith Brown and Mr Gerry O'Neill briefed the Committee on progress in relation to the One Plan and provided an update in relation to the Shackleton site. Questions and discussion followed.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department for Social Development to request an update on the North West Science Park at the Fort George Site.

Departmental officials left the meeting at 4.28 p.m.

8. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the draft forward work programme.

9. Any Other Business

None.

10. Date, Time and Location of next meeting

The next meeting will be held in Room 30, Parliament Buildings on Wednesday 19 June 2013 2.00 pm.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 4.29 pm

Mr Mike Nesbitt MLA
Chairperson,
Committee for the Office of the First Minister and deputy First Minister

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up