Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: Wednesday, 06 March 2013

Venue: Room 30

The meeting opened in closed session at 2.33 p.m.        

Apologies

None.

1. Subsidiarity - proposal for a Directive on Alternative Fuels Infrastructure

The Committee considered legal advice in relation to the principle of subsidiarity and the European Commission’s proposal for a Directive on Alternative Fuels Infrastructure.

Mr Givan left the meeting at 2.39 p.m.

The meeting moved into public session at 2.55 p.m.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the relevant committees at Westminster to advise that the Committee shares the concerns of the UK Government in relation to the Commission’s proposed directive on Alternative Fuel Infrastructure and to highlight the specific points highlighted by the Department for Regional Development.

2. Chairperson’s Business

Welcome to New Member

The Chairperson welcomed Mr Robin Swann MLA as a new Member of the Committee. Members noted Mr Swann’s declaration of interests.

Miss Fearon joined the meeting at 2.57 p.m.

Building an Inclusive Society Conference

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department advising of the dates of a planned conference called “Building an Inclusive Society: The Future of Delivering Social Change in Northern Ireland”.

List of Invitations

The Committee noted the list of current invitations.

3. Draft minutes of the meeting held on 27 February 2013

Agreed: The draft minutes of proceedings of 27 February 2013 was agreed by the Committee.

4. Matters Arising

Education Bill

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department in relation to the briefing on OFMDFM’s role under the Education Bill and that officials are happy to brief the Committee, jointly with Department of Education officials, after the Committee for Education has been briefed on the proposed amendments.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that it was content to receive a joint briefing from OFMDFM officials and from the Department of Education officials on the role of OFMDFM in relation to the Education Bill.

List of Outstanding Issues

The Committee noted the list of outstanding issues.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to seek further clarification in relation to victims of abuse at Magdalene laundries or similar institutions in Northern Ireland not falling within the scope of the HIA Inquiry.

Mr Lyttle joined the meeting at 3.02 p.m.

5. Correspondence

Joint Ministerial Committee (Europe)

The Committee noted a report from junior Minister Bell on the Joint Ministerial Committee (Europe) that took place on 3 December 2012.

Annual Report on Public Bodies

The Committee noted a copy of the Annual report on Public Bodies.

Mr Eastwood joined the meeting at 3.05 p.m.

Committee for Employment and Learning

The Committee considered correspondence from the Committee for Employment and Learning in relation to the closure of nursery facilities at the University of Ulster.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Committee for Employment and Learning to highlight a number of issues and to request that the Committee be kept informed of any updates.

6. Childcare Strategy

Departmental officials joined the meeting at 3.10 p.m.

Mr Moutray joined the meeting at 3.50 p.m.

Departmental officials, Mr Fergus Devitt and Mr Martin Tyrell briefed the Committee on the Childcare Consultation document. A question and answer session followed.

Departmental officials left the meeting at 3.54 p.m.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide the Committee with a summary/analysis of responses to the consultation prior to the Easter recess. 

7. Programme for Government

Departmental officials joined the meeting at 3.56 p.m.

Mr Lyttle left the meeting at 4.26 p.m.

Ms McGahan left the meeting at 4.50 p.m.

Mr Robinson left the meeting at 4.57 p.m.

Mr Eastwood left the meeting at 5.08 p.m.

Departmental officials, Mr Tim Losty, Mr Tony Canavan and Dr Paul Geddis briefed the Committee on the Department’s progress in relation to its Programme for Government commitments. A question and answer session followed.

Departmental officials left the meeting at 5.13 p.m.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to reconvene the briefing on Programme for Government commitment 26 to next week in order to give Members the opportunity to consider the papers. 

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide the Committee with clarification on a some issues. 

8. Any Other Business

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Chair and the Clerk would try to reschedule items to provide more time for the PfG session scheduled for 13 March 2013.

9. Date, time and place of next meeting

The next meeting will be held in Room 30, Parliament Buildings on Wednesday 13 March 2013 at 2 p.m.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 5.17 p.m.

Mr Mike Nesbitt MLA
Chairperson, Committee for the Office
of the First Minister and deputy First Minister

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up