Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2013

Venue: Room 144 Parliament Buildings

The meeting commenced at 1.05 p.m. in public session.

1. Apologies

Apologies as above.

2. Chair's Business

The Committee agreed to arrange an informal meeting alongside members of the Committee for Justice with the Educational Shakespeare Company.
The Committee noted correspondence regarding the paediatric cardiac services working group and agreed to refer the correspondents to the Health & Social Care Board and the Department.
The Committee agreed to sponsor an event to mark World Asthma Group.
The Committee agreed to write to the Department for an update on the contamination of beef products with horse meat.
1.09 p.m. Ms Paula Bradley joined the meeting.
The Committee agreed to write to the Department for an update regarding promotion of the MMR vaccine.

3. Draft minutes of the meeting on Wednesday 17th April 2013.

The minutes of the Committee meeting on Wednesday 17th April 2013 were agreed.

4. The Tobacco Retailers Bill

The Committee agreed a motion to extend the committee stage of the Bill to 18 October 2013.
The Committee noted the timetable for completing committee stage of the Bill.
The Committee agreed to request written submissions from interested organisations.
The Committee agreed to place signposting advertisements directing interested parties to the Committee call for evidence on the Assembly website.

5. Assembly Research & Library Service briefing on the Tobacco Retailers Bill.

The Committee was briefed on the Tobacco Retailers Bill.
1.31 p.m. Mr Conall McDevitt joined the meeting.

6. Proposed Statutory Rule. The Contaminants in Food Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013.

The Committee considered the Contaminants in Food Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013 and agreed that it was content for the Food Standards Agency to prepare the statutory rule.

7. Proposed Statutory Rule. The Health and Personal Social Services (Superannuation) (Injury Benefits) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013.

The Committee considered the Health and Personal Social Services (Superannuation) (Injury Benefits) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013 and agreed to write to the Department and the BMA for further information.

8. Matters rising

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding Post Project Evaluations and agreed to write to the Department for further information.
The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding proposed changes to the Ambulance Service and agreed to write to the Ambulance Service regarding this matter. The Committee also agreed to copy the Minister's response to Ambulance Service union representatives to seek their views.
The Committee noted a response from the Minister to Committee for Regional Development.
The Committee noted an updated research paper on Cuban Medical Diplomacy.
The Committee noted correspondence from the General Medical Council.

9. Correspondence

The Committee agreed that members of the Committee for Justice could accompany members on the visit to the Rowan Sexual Assault Referral Centre.
The Committee agreed to forward correspondence from the Committee for Education to the Health & Social Care Board.
The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for Employment and Learning.
The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for Social Development regarding Special Needs Management Allowance and agreed that it was content that the Committee for Social Development take evidence from DHSSPS officials on this matter.
The Committee agreed to schedule an informal meeting with researchers from the Bamford Centre for Mental Health & Wellbeing.
The Committee noted correspondence from the Meningitis Trust seeking a meeting with it agreed to invite the organisation to an informal meeting.
The Committee noted a news release from Ofcom regarding telephone charges.
The Committee noted a funding update from Big Lottery.
The Committee noted correspondence from Imtac.
The Committee noted correspondence from the British Heart Foundation.
The Committee noted correspondence from Mr Hagan regarding MMR vaccinations and agreed to forward this to the Department for a response.
The Committee noted a copy of correspondence from Ms McBurney to the South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust. The Committee agreed to write to the Department regarding the issue of meal provision in hospitals.

10. Forward Work Programme.

The Committee noted its Forward Work Programme.

11. Any other Business.

No other business was discussed.

12. Date, time and place of next meeting.

The next Committee meeting will be on Wednesday 1st May 2013 at 2.00 pm in the Senate Chamber, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 1.45 p.m.

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up