Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Venue: The Senate Chamber

The meeting commenced at 2.06 p.m. in closed session.

1. Apologies

Apologies as above.

2. Tobacco Retailers Bill

The Committee discussed the evidence taken to date on the Tobacco Retailers Bill.

2.42 p.m. Mr Jim Wells left the meeting.

2.47 p.m. Mr Jim Wells rejoined the meeting.

3.04p.m. The meeting moved to public session.

3.05 p.m. Mr Gordon Dunne left the meeting.

3.05 p.m. Ms Paula Bradley left the meeting.

3. Chair’s Business

The Committee noted a draft programme for its visit to Conway Mill on Wednesday 26th June 2013.

The Committee noted an invitation from the Appleby Trust to visit projects that it runs for adults with disabilities and agreed to accept the invitation.

The Committee noted a Departmental press release regarding public accountability meetings  with arm’s length bodies.

3.07 p.m. Mr Gordon Dunne rejoined the meeting.

Members noted that the Committee had held an informal meeting with Nexus on Tuesday 18th June 2013. The Committee agreed to write to the Department regarding GPs’ role in providing support for victims of sexual abuse.

The Committee noted an update from the Western Health & Social Care Trust regarding an MSSA infection at the neo-natal unit at Altnagelvin Hospital.

The Committee agreed to write to the Department regarding the Adoption and Children Bill.

The Committee agreed to write to the Department regarding the ban on gay men donating blood.

The Committee agreed to sponsor an event on 5th July 2013 to celebrate the 65th birthday of the NHS.

4. Draft minutes of the meeting on Wednesday 12th June 2013.

The minutes of the Committee meeting on Wednesday 12th June 2013 were agreed.

5. Matters Arising

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding emergency paediatric congenital cardiac procedures. The Committee agreed to copy the Minister’s response to the Children’s Heartbeat Trust, and to write to the Department for further clarification. The Chairperson informed the Committee that the Deputy Chairperson and she were meeting the Minister for an informal update on this issue and that she would brief the Committee at its next meeting.  

The Committee noted responses from the Minister regarding statutory residential homes, supported living, and Transforming Your Care.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding care home costs and agreed to copy the response to Mr Hill who raised this matter with the Committee.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding cancelled outpatient appointments.

3.13 p.m. Mr Jim Wells left the meeting.

3.13 p.m. Meeting adjourned.

3.21 p.m. Meeting resumed.

6. Evidence session on the Transforming Your Care Implementation Group.

The Committee took evidence from:

Dr Andrew McCormick, Permanent Secretary, Department for Health, Social Services & Public Safety

Mr John Compton, Chief Executive, Health & Social Care Board

Ms Pamela McCreedy, Programme Director of Transforming Your Care, Health & Social Care Board

A question and answer session ensued.

4.16 p.m. Ms Paula Bradley left the meeting.

4.19 p.m. Mr Gordon Dunne left the meeting.

4.25 p.m. Mr Gordon Dunne rejoined the meeting.

4.25 p.m. Mr Conall McDevitt left the meeting.

4.26 p.m. Ms Maeve McLaughlin left the meeting.

4.32 p.m. Ms Paula Bradley rejoined the meeting.

4.38 p.m. Mr Gordon Dunne left the meeting.

4.43 p.m. Mr Kieran McCarthy left the meeting.

4.51 p.m. Mr Kieran McCarthy rejoined the meeting.

The witnesses agreed to provide the Committee with additional information. The Chairperson thanked the witness for attending.

7. Proposed Statutory Rule. Optical Charges and Payments (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013.

The Committee agreed that it was content for the Department to prepare the statutory rule.

8. Proposed Statutory Rule. The Fruit Juices and Fruit Nectars Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013.

The Committee agreed that it was content for the Food Standards Agency to prepare the statutory rule.

9. Proposed Statutory Rule. The Jam and Similar Products Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013

The Committee agreed that it was content for the Food Standards Agency to prepare the statutory rule.

The Committee agreed to write to the Department for an update on the food labelling scheme launched by the Food Standards Agency.

10. Correspondence

The Committee noted a letter from the Minister regarding organ donation.

The Committee noted a letter from the Minister to the Committee for Enterprise, Trade & Investment.

The Committee noted a letter from the Minister to the Committee for Education.

The Committee noted a letter from the Children's Law Centre regarding proposals to amend the Safeguarding Board Regulations and agreed to hold an oral evidence session with the Department and the Children’s Law Centre on this matter.

The Committee noted a briefing paper from the Law Centre NI.

The Committee noted correspondence from Save the Mid regarding the Turnaround Team Report on the Northern Health & Social Care Trust.

The Committee noted correspondence from Ms McElroy regarding children's heart surgery.

The Committee noted correspondence from Ms Clifford regarding children's heart surgery.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Friends of Lisgarel regarding Lisgarel residential home, Larne and agreed a response.

Mr Roy Beggs made a declaration of interest that he was associated with the Friends of Lisgarel group.

The Committee noted correspondence from Ms Thompson regarding residential homes.

The Committee noted an invitation from UNISON.

The Committee noted correspondence from Baroness Bakewell regarding national care home open day.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Children's Law Centre regarding an information seminar.

11. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted its Forward Work Programme.

12. Any other Business

The Committee agreed to write to the Department regarding service & budget agreements with the HSC Trusts.

13. Date, time and place of next meeting

The next Committee meeting will be on Wednesday 26th June 2013 at 2.00pm in the Education Centre, Conway Mill, Belfast.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 5.05 p.m.

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up