Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Wednesday, 14 March 2012

Venue: Room 29, Parliament Buildings

The meeting commenced at 2.14 p.m. in public session.

1.  Apologies

Apologies noted above.

2.  Chair’s Business

The Committee noted that the Committee motion on IVF would take place on Tuesday 20th March 2012.

The Committee noted that it would be visiting Ambulance Service Control on Wednesday 21st March 2012.

The Committee noted that it would be visiting Accident & Emergency at the Royal Hospital on Monday 26th March

The Committee noted correspondence from a doctor working at the Royal regarding Accident & Emergency.

3.  Draft minutes of the meeting on Wednesday 7th March 2012

The minutes of the Committee meeting on Wednesday 7th March 2012 were agreed.

4.  Evidence session on the Mental Health (Private Hospital) Regulations 2011

The Committee took evidence from:

Ms Christine Jendoubi - Director of Mental Health, Disability and Older - People Directorate, DHSSPS

Dr Ian McMaster - Medical Officer, DHSSPS

Mr Colin McMinn - Principal, Mental Health Unit , DHSSPS

2.18 p.m. Mr John McCallister joined the meeting.

A question and answer session ensued. The Chairperson thanked the witnesses for attending.

The Committee agreed to defer consideration of this Statutory Rule until its next meeting.

The Committee agreed to write to the Department for further information.

5. Evidence session on the outcome of Shared Services Project consultation

The Committee noted a letter from the Minister regarding Shared Services.

The Committee noted a letter from Down District Council regarding Shared Services.

The Committee noted a letter from the Royal College of Nursing regarding Shared Services.

The Committee noted a letter from staff in the Belfast Health & Social Care Trust affected by the Shared Services project and agreed to advise them that the Committee has previously taken evidence from the trade unions.

The Committee took evidence from:

Ms Julie Thompson - Deputy Secretary, Resources and Performance Management, DHSSPS

Ms Diane Taylor - Director of HR (HSC), DHSSPS

Mr Shane Devlin - Programme Director, BSTP

2.59 p.m. Mr Gordon Dunne joined the meeting.

3.08 p.m. Ms Paula Bradley left the meeting.

3.22 p.m. Ms Paula Bradley rejoined the meeting.

3.40 p.m. Mr John Mccallister left the meeting.

A question and answer session ensued. The Chairperson thanked the witnesses for attending.

The Committee agreed to write to the Department for further information.

The Committee agreed to write to the trade unions to ask if they wish to forward further information to the Committee.

3.55 p.m. Mr Jim Wells left the meeting.

3.55 p.m. Mrs Pam Lewis left the meeting.

6.  Statutory Rule. SR2012/71. The Firefighters' Pension Scheme (Contributions) (Amendment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012.

The Committee considered SR2012/71 The Firefighters' Pension Scheme (Contributions) (Amendment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012 and had no objection to the Rule subject to the report of the Examiner of Statutory Rules.

7.  Statutory Rule. SR2012/72. The New Firefighters' Pension Scheme (Contributions) (Amendment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012.

The Committee considered SR2012/72 The New Firefighters' Pension Scheme (Contributions) (Amendment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012 and had no objection to the Rule subject to the report of the Examiner of Statutory Rules.

3.57 p.m. Mrs Pam Lewis rejoined the meeting.

3.58 p.m. Mr Kieran McCarthy joined the meeting.

8.  Statutory Rule. SR2012/73. The Travelling Expenses and Remission of Charges (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012.

The Committee considered SR2012/73 The Travelling Expenses and Remission of Charges (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012 and had no objection to the Rule subject to the report of the Examiner of Statutory Rules.

9. Statutory Rule. SR2012/78. The Health and Personal Social Services (Superannuation), Health and Social Care (Pensions Scheme) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012.

Ms Paula Bradley declared an interest as a member of the HSC Pension Scheme.

The Committee considered SR2012/78 The Health and Personal Social Services (Superannuation), Health and Social Care (Pensions Scheme)(Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012 and had no objection to the Rule subject to the report of the Examiner of Statutory Rules.

10. Forward Work Programme

The Committee agreed its Forward Work Programme.

11. Assembly Research paper - European Commission Work Programme 2012: Health, Social Services and Public Safety.

The Committee noted a briefing paper prepared by the Assembly Research & Library Service.

The Committee agreed to write to the Department about funding applications under the EU Drug Strategy.

4.01 p.m. Mr Jim Wells rejoined the meeting.

12.  Matters arising

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding the Hospice at Somerton House and agreed to write to the Department again regarding this matter and copy the Minister’s response to the Hospice.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding the Speech, Language and Communication Therapy Action Plan and agreed to arrange an evidence session on this matter.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding the Sexual Health Promotion Action Plan and agreed to arrange an evidence session on this matter.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding funding for the Family Fund and agreed to write to the Department welcoming this decision and copy the Minister’s response to the Family Fund.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding adoption orders.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding Clinical Excellence Awards and agreed to request a research paper on this matter.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding services for autistic children and agreed to copy this to the National Autistic Society who raised this matter with the Committee.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister about allegations of abuse at Lissue House and Forster Green Hospital and agreed to copy this to the Office of the First Minister and Deputy First Minister. 

The Committee noted a response from the Minister about the preparation of business cases by the Fire & Rescue Service and agreed to copy this to the Fire Brigades Union.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister to the Employment & Learning Committee about the number of speech & language therapists in Trusts.

The Committee noted a letter from the Minister regarding a legislative consent motion to make provision for a due diligence defence were a pharmacist has dispensed in error.

13.  Correspondence

The Committee noted a letter from the Minister about a policy framework for adults living with long term conditions.

The Committee noted a letter from the Minister regarding a review of bodies providing advice on food safety, diet and nutrition.

The Committee noted a letter from the Belfast Health & Social Care Trust about a consultation on maternity services in Belfast.

The Committee noted a news release from the Southern Health & Social Care Trust about cases of MRSA and agreed to write to the Department regarding this matter.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for Finance & Personnel regarding monitoring arrangements for the Programme for Government and agreed to write to the Department regarding this matter.

The Committee agreed to forward a letter from the Committee for Regional Development about the Community Transport Association to the Minister.

The Committee agreed it was content that the Committee for Education contacts the Department and the Public Health Agency regarding occupational therapy.

The Committee noted a letter from the General Medical Council regarding induction for doctors new to practice.

The Committee noted a letter from the Law Commission regarding a consultation paper on ‘Regulation of Health Care Professionals’.

The Committee noted a letter from the Patients Association regarding minimum standards of care in hospitals and agreed to write to the Department about this matter.

The Committee noted a letter from Roche Diagnostics regarding HPV testing and agreed to forward a response received on this matter from the Department to Roche diagnostics.

4.16 p.m. Mr John McCallister rejoined the meeting.

The Committee noted a letter from the Belfast Health Initiative inviting the Committee to visit one of its projects and agreed to write to the Belfast Health Initiative for further information.

The Committee noted an invitation from Brook NI inviting the Committee visit its new premises and agreed to schedule a visit.

The Committee noted a letter from Save the Mid regarding doctors employed by the Northern Trust.

The Committee noted a letter from Mr Evan Bates regarding the Department’s review of Investing for Health.

The Committee noted a letter from Mr Aidan Hanna regarding the treatment of staff at Windermere Supported Living Services Lisburn and agreed to refer Mr Hanna to constituency representatives.

The Committee noted a letter from Mrs Bratton about Group B Streptococcus and agreed to write to the Department regarding the issues raised and inform Mrs Bratton of the Committee’s actions.

The Committee noted a letter from Rare Disease UK seeking a meeting with the Committee.

The Committee noted a letter from the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland seeking a meeting with the Committee and agreed to invite the group to an informal meeting.

The Committee noted a letter from the Hospice.

14.  Any Other Business

No other business was discussed.

4.18 p.m. Meeting Adjourned.

4.29 p.m. Meeting resumed.

15.  Evidence session on Community Pharmacy with Community Pharmacy NI

The Committee took evidence from:

Mr Gerard Greene - Chief Executive, Community Pharmacy NI

Mr Lindsay Gracey - Chairman, Community Pharmacy NI

Ms Aileen Crossin - Board Director, Community Pharmacy NI

Mr James McCaughan - Board member, Community Pharmacy NI

4.31 p.m. Ms Paula Bradley rejoined the meeting.

4.31 p.m. Mr Jim Wells rejoined the meeting.

4.37 p.m. Mr John McCallister rejoined the meeting.

4.46 p.m. Mrs Pam Lewis rejoined the meeting.

4.53 p.m. Mr Gordon Dunne left the meeting.

4.55 p.m. Mr Mark H Durkan left the meeting.

4.56 p.m. Mr Gordon Dunne rejoined the meeting.

5.34 p.m. Ms Paula Bradley left the meeting.

A question and answer session ensued. The Chairperson thanked the witnesses for attending.

The Committee agreed to write to the Department on a number of issues raised.

16.  Date, time and place of next meeting

The next Committee meeting will be on Wednesday 28th March 2012 at 2.00pm in room 29, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 5.50 p.m.

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up