Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Wednesday, 01 June 2011

Venue: Senate Chamber, Parliament Buildings

The meeting commenced at 2.00 p.m. in public session.

1. Apologies

Apologies as above.

2. Chairpersons business

The Committee agreed that party colleagues could forward letters to any of the former Committee members who they believed may have an interest in responses received by the Committee.

The Committee agreed to write to the Department to seek an update regarding Belvoir Park hospital patient files, and the cost of security for the site.

2.02 p.m. Ms Paula Bradley joined the meeting.
2.02 p.m. Mr Gordon Dunne joined the meeting.
2.02 p.m. Mrs Pam Lewis joined the meeting.
2.02 p.m. Mr Jim Wells joined the meeting.

3. Draft minutes of the meeting on Wednesday 25 th May 2011

The minutes of the Committee meeting held on 25 th May 2011 were agreed.

4. Matters arising

The Committee noted correspondence regarding the transfer of responsibility for childminding and day care from the Department of Education to DHSSPS and agreed to write to the Department for further information.

5. Presentation by Assembly Research on the services to Committees

The Committee was briefed by on the services provided by the Assembly’s Research & Information Service on the services it provides to committees.

6. Evidence session with Cooperation and Working Together

The Committee took evidence from:

Mr Tom Daly Director General, Co-operation and Working Together
Ms Bernie McCrory Chief Officer, Co-operation and Working Together
Mr Joe Lusby Deputy Chief Executive, Western Health & Social Care Trust

Ms Michaela Boyle made a declaration of interest that she was previously the chairperson of a disability awareness group associated with CAWT.

A question and answer session ensued. The Chairperson thanked the witnesses for attending.

2.48 p.m. Mr Mark H Durkan left the meeting.
2.56 p.m. Mr Mark H Durkan rejoined the meeting.
2.59 p.m. Mrs Pam Lewis left the meeting.
3.10 p.m. Mr Gordon Dunne left the meeting.
3.14 p.m. Mr Gordon Dunne rejoined the meeting.

7. Regulation and Improvement Authority (Independent Health Care) (Fees and Frequency of Inspection) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2010

The Committee noted correspondence on this matter and various related background papers. The Committee agreed to write to the BDA and the Department suggesting that they engage in further discussions on this matter and keep the Committee informed of progress.

8. Proposed Statutory Rule: The Extraction Solvents in Food (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2011

The Committee considered the Extraction Solvents in Food (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2011 and agreed that the Department should proceed to prepare this Statutory Rule.

9. Statutory Instrument: The Medicines (Miscellaneous Amendments) Order 2011

The Committee considered the Medicines (Miscellaneous Amendments) Order 2011 and agreed that it was content that the Department proceeds with this statutory instrument.

10. Correspondence

The Committee noted a letter from the Minister notifying it of the Department’s consultation on a proposal to widen Health Services eligibility for antiviral treatment for influenza.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for the Office of the First Minister and deputy First minister inviting the Chairperson and Deputy Chairperson to attend an EU issues discussion forum on 20 June 2011.

The Committee noted a letter from Jonathan Craig regarding equipment for the Cancer Unit at Belfast City Hospital and agreed to write to Mr Craig informing him that this is a matter for the Belfast Trust and the Department.

The Committee noted correspondence from the British Medical Association (BMA) seeking a meeting with it and agreed to invite the group to an informal meeting.

The Committee noted correspondence from Children in Northern Ireland (CiNI) seeking a meeting with it and agreed to invite the group to an informal meeting.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Big Lottery Fund seeking a meeting with it and agreed to invite the group to an informal meeting.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Royal College of Nursing seeking a meeting with it and agreed to invite the group to an informal meeting.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Pharmaceutical Society (NI) seeking a meeting with it and agreed to invite the group to an informal meeting.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Royal College of Midwives seeking a meeting with it and agreed to invite the group to an informal meeting.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Infertility Network UK seeking a meeting with it and agreed to invite the group to an informal meeting.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry (ABPI) seeking a meeting with it and agreed to invite the group to an informal meeting.

The Committee noted correspondence from Autism NI seeking a meeting with it and agreed to invite the group to an informal meeting.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Save the Mid Campaign seeking a meeting with it and agreed to invite the group to an informal meeting.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Northern Ireland Commissioner for Children and Young People (NICCY) seeking a meeting with it and agreed to invite the group to an informal meeting.

The Committee noted correspondence from Employers for Childcare seeking a meeting with it and agreed to invite the group to an informal meeting.

The Committee noted a letter from Mr Stephen Murtagh seeking a meeting with the Minister regarding events surrounding the death of his wife and agreed to reply to Mr Murtagh suggesting that he contacts the new Minister directly regarding this.

The Committee noted an invitation from the Northern Ireland Confederation for Health and Social Care in relation to the NICON Open Space event on 1 July 2011.

The Committee noted correspondence from the General Medical Council regarding a consultation on the future of fitness to practise adjudication and the establishment of the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service.

The Committee noted a copy of the Department’s Investment Strategy for Northern Ireland.

The Committee noted a BMA (NI) Briefing, spring 2011.

The Committee noted correspondence from Leigh Harris regarding a freedom of information response from the Department.

11. Forward Work Programme

The Committee agreed a Forward Work Programme.

The Committee agreed the key issues it wishes to raise with the Minister on 8 June 2011.

The Committee agreed to write to the Department asking for an update on the Safeguarding Board Northern Ireland.

12. Any Other Business

No other business was discussed.

13. Date, time and place of next meeting

The next Committee meeting will be on Wednesday 8 th June 2011 at 2.00 p.m. in the Senate Chamber, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 3.46 p.m.

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up