Report on a fact-finding visit to Scotland, October 2013
Committee: Committee for Education
Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2013
Reference: NIA 143/11-15
ISBN: Only available online
Mandate Report Number: Mandate 2011/15 Fourth Report
Together with the Minutes of Proceedings of the Committee relating to the Report, Minutes of Evidence, and Written Submissions
The Committee for Education is a Statutory Departmental Committee established in accordance with paragraphs 8 and 9 of the Belfast Agreement, Section 29 of the Northern Ireland Act 1998 and under Assembly Standing Order 46. The Committee has a scrutiny, policy development and consultation role with respect to the Minister of Education and has a role in the initiation of legislation.
The Committee has power to:
- Consider and advise on Departmental budgets and Annual Plans in the context of the overall budget allocation;
- Approve relevant secondary legislation and take the Committee Stage of primary legislation;
- Call for persons and papers;
- Initiation inquiries and makes reports; and
- Consider and advise on any matters brought to the Committee by the Minister for Education.
On Wednesday 2 October and Thursday 3 October, Members from the Committee for Education undertook a fact-finding visit to Edinburgh and the surrounding area.
The following Members were in attendance:
- Mr Mervyn Storey MLA - Chairperson
- Mr Danny Kinahan MLA - Deputy Chairperson
- Mr Chris Hazzard MLA - Member
- Mr Trevor Lunn MLA - Member
- Mr Seán Rogers MLA - Member
Download the full report here.