Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: Thursday, 30 May 2013

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The Committee meeting opened in closed session at 10.05am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to continue to consider the Department’s updates on legal ownership of assets under the confidential restriction and in closed session.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request a briefing from the Department on issues around legal ownership of assets.

The Committee moved into open session at 10.09am.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of the Meeting held on 23 May 2013

The Committee agreed the draft minutes of 23 May 2013.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the correspondence tracker.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister regarding the purchase of the Londonderry Papers.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister, responding to the Committee’s request for an assessment on the impact any legal challenge would have on the stadia redevelopment project.

4. Briefing from DCAL regarding June Monitoring Round

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.12am:

Director of Finance & Corporate Services, Ms Deborah Brown;

Director of Museums, Libraries & Recreation Division, Mr Mick Cory; and

Director of Culture, Mr Arthur Scott.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mrs Karen McKevitt joined the meeting at 10.20am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 10.34am. 

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín rejoined the meeting at 10.35am.

The officials left the meeting at 10.36am.

5. RAISe briefing papers on Performing Arts in the UK and Ireland

The Committee noted the Research paper on performing arts schools in the UK and Ireland.

6. Briefing from The Talent Tribe on Proposals for a Virtual ‘Creative Industry School’ for Northern Ireland

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.40am:

Director, Ms Fedelma Harkin; and

Member of Advisory Panel, Mr Paul Simpson.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr William Humphrey left the meeting at 10.45am.

Mr William Humphrey rejoined the meeting at 10.46am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr William Humphrey declared an interest as a Member of Belfast City Council.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 11.10am.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín made a declaration that he was a trainee for the Irish Language Broadcast Fund. 

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 11.28am.

The officials left the meeting at 11.35am.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 11.35am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister regarding the funding required to develop a Business Case for a Virtual Creative Industries School.

7. Briefing from Lisburn City Council regarding European City of Sport 2013

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.37am:

Chairperson of Leisure Services Committee, Councillor Thomas Beckett;

Vice Chairperson of Leisure Services Committee, Alderman Paul Porter;

Director of Leisure Services, Mr Jim Rose; and

Assistant Director of Leisure Services, Mr Brendan Courtney.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín rejoined the meeting at 11.52am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Michael McGimpsey rejoined the meeting at 12.05pm.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 12.09pm.

Mr Oliver McMullan rejoined the meeting at 12.18pm.

The officials left the meeting at 12.24pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to ascertain the support her Department has given Lisburn City Council to date; and to request that applications for funding are expedited.

8. Correspondence

The Committee noted DCAL’s Investment Strategy for May 2013.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to ask for an update on the position of the outstanding PPEs.

The Committee noted correspondence from the North South Language Bodies regarding the publication of a draft Equality Scheme.

9. Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted the invitation tracker.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to issue an email reminder to Members of the Relay

Bliss discussion event on 4th June 2013.

The Committee noted the tabled invite from the Culture Company regarding the Travelling Wall Roadshow on 1st June 2013.

The Committee noted the tabled invite to the relaunch of Lagan Press at the Ulster Museum.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to OFCOM for its assessment of the EU Green Paper on ‘Preparing for a Fully Converged Audiovisual World: Growth, Creation and Values’.

Mr William Humphrey left the meeting at 12.28pm.

The Committee noted the tabled paper from the Committee of the Regions on its draft opinion on ‘Cultural and Creative Sectors for Growth and Jobs’. 

10. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed the Forward Work Programme.

11. Any Other Business          

There was no other business.

Mr William Humphrey rejoined the meeting at 12.30pm.

12. Date and Time of Next Meeting           

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 06 June 2013 at 10am in Room 21. 

The Committee adjourned at 12.31pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
06 June 2013

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up