Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 15 September 2011

Venue: 21

The meeting opened at 10.32am in open session.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of Meeting Held on 8 September 2011

The Committee agreed the minutes of 8 September 2011.

3. Matters Arising

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to Sport NI to request additional information about its Award for Sport programme, including funding for amateur boxing and how the programme is targeted in disadvantaged areas.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Committee for Finance and Personnel regarding the Northern Ireland Place-names project.

4. Ministerial Briefing on Departmental Priorities

The Minister and the following officials joined the meeting at 10.37am:

Deputy Secretary, Ms Cynthia Smith; 
Director of Culture, Mr Arthur Scott; and 
Director of Sport, Museums and Recreation, Mr Mick Cory.

The Minister and her officials briefed the Committee.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 10.57am.

A question and answer session followed.

Agreed : The Minister agreed to provide the following information to the Committee: list of attendees at the launch of Líofa 2015 Initiative; the findings of the Department’s post project evaluation into Community Festivals Fund and details of its upcoming evaluation.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 11.08am.

Agreed: The Minister agreed to provide the Committee with the timescales for the appointment of a new Chair, an interim Chair, and two Board members to the Board of Libraries NI.

Mr David Hilditch returned to the meeting at 11.14am.

Agreed: The Minister agreed to forward to the Committee the Department’s findings of its evaluation into the 2008-11 Creative Industries Innovation Fund.

The briefing concluded at 11.25am.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 11.30am.

5. DCAL Briefing regarding Outcome of Foras na Gaeilge’s Consultation on New Funding Model for Core-Funding Groups

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.30am:

Director of Culture, DCAL, Mr Arthur Scott;

Chief Executive of Foras na Gaeilge, Mr Ferdie Mac an Fhailigh; and

Director of Developmental Services of Foras na Gaeilge, Mr Éamonn Ó hArgáin.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Department to request a copy of the completed Regulatory Impact Assessment, once available; and the timescales for the decision making process.

The briefing concluded at 11.57am.

6. Committee’s Inquiry into Creative Industries

The Committee considered the draft terms of reference for the Committee Inquiry into Creative Industries.

Mr Michael McGimspey rejoined the meeting at 12.05pm.

Agreed : The Committee agreed that the terms of reference should be refined; and that the methodology and timescale of the review should be considered at its meeting on 29 September.

7. Correspondence

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to Libraries NI to express its concern that it was not furnished with details of the consultation on opening hours, before it was made public.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to Libraries NI to request the following information: that a child friendly questionnaire is developed as part of the consultation process; clarification on the rationale for increased opening hours for some libraries; clarification on the opening hours of newly refurbished libraries now and post 2013; and plans to rural proof Libraries NI’s previous consultation on library closures.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Northern Ireland Commissioner for Children and Young People to advise her of the Committee’s action to request a child friendly consultation on libraries opening hours.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister outlining her intention to deliver statements to the Assembly on 13 September.

Mr Pat Sheehen left the meeting at 12.20pm.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to schedule a brief from OFCOM onto the Forward Work Programme; and to investigate which organisation is responsible for digital TV in Northern Ireland.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to visit Maurice Orr’s exhibition in Ballymena in October.

8. Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted all events that the Chairperson attended.

9. Forward Work Programme

Agreed : The Committee agreed to attend the launch of the NI 2012 Our Time Our Place Programme on 29 September; and to hold its Committee meeting that afternoon.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to start next week’s Committee meeting at 10am.

Agreed : The Committee agreed that the briefing from the umbrella group of the core funded Irish Language groups would be covered by Hansard.

The Committee agreed the Forward Work Programme.

10. Any Other Business

Members noted the Register of Members Interests.

11. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 22 September 2011 at 10am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.40pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
22 September 2011
Chairperson

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up