Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 13 October 2011

Venue: 21

The meeting opened in public session at 10.37am.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of Meeting Held on 6 October 2011

The Committee agreed the minutes of 6 October 2011.

3. Matters Arising

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Committee for Enterprise, Trade and Investment to ascertain how much sponsorship was provided by the Northern Ireland Tourist Board to the Fermanagh Seaplane Festival.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Department regarding its initiatives for reducing energy use.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to forward the Department’s response regarding the movement of money relating to library vehicles, within the October monitoring round, to Libraries NI.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Department regarding the list of attendees at the Líofa 2015 Initiative.

4. Assembly Research and Information Service Briefing on European Issues

Dr Dan Hull spoke to his briefing paper providing update on European Issues relating to Culture, Arts and Leisure.

A question and answer session followed.

Agreed : Dr Hull agreed to provide additional information on the European Heritage Label, in particular: its qualifications and criteria; details on the application process; and whether any applications have been received from Northern Ireland.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to explore the following issues with the Department during their briefing on European issues next week: issues regarding securing European funding; and the local representatives on the Committee for the Regions.

5. Briefing from European Economic & Social Committee regarding European Issues

Ms Jane Morrice joined the meeting at 11.01am:

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 11.20am.

Ms Jane Morrice left the meeting at 11.25am.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to investigate the use of the European Culture Programme for translation between Irish and English.

6. Briefing from NI Screen

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.25am.

Chairperson of NI Screen, Mr Rick Hill; and 
Chief Executive of NI Screen, Mr Richard Williams.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín made a declaration that he has worked in projects that have received funding from the Irish Language Broadcast Fund.

Mr Dominic Bradley left the meeting at 12.00pm.

Deputy Chairperson, Mr William Irwin, took the Chair at 12.02pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen left the meeting at 12.02pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen returned to the meeting at 12.07pm, and resumed the Chair.

Agreed: NI Screen agreed to provide statistics on GCSE and A Level grades.

Mr Dominic Bradley returned to the meeting at 12.12pm.

The officials left the meeting at 12.20pm.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to commission research on the current policy on tax credits for the film industry; and how this compares to ROI, England, Scotland and Wales.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Department to establish any progress in resolving the multiple funder governance arrangements for NI Screen.

7. Committee’s inquiry into Creative Industries

The Committee noted the Research papers and the Clerk’s paper.

Agreed : The Committee agreed the draft terms of reference for the Creative Industries Inquiry, subject to the inclusion of tax credits and education in bullet point 3.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to use the research paper as a base for identifying key stakeholders of the Inquiry; and to include District Councils, Education and Library Boards; the Careers Service; the Rural Community Network and publishers.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to the draft timeline for the Inquiry.

Agreed : The Committee agreed that the title of the Inquiry should be: Inquiry into Maximising the Potential of the Creative Industries.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to announce the Inquiry using a press release and social and digital medias; and that a Public Notice would not be issued.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to target the press release at arts editors within local newspapers.

Agreed : The draft Press Release was agreed.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 12.55pm.

8. Correspondence

Agreed : The Committee agreed to schedule a brief from the Ulster Orchestra onto the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to invite the art and design students from the South Eastern Regional College to one of the stakeholder sessions for the Creative Industries Inquiry.

9. Chairperson’s business

The Committee noted the events that the Chairperson attended.

10. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

The following members indicated that they would be attending Maurice Orr’s exhibition at the Braid in Ballymena on Thursday 20 October: Miss Michelle McIlveen; Mrs Brenda Hale; Mr Oliver McMullan; Mr Cathal Ó hOisín; and Mr Robin Swann.

Mr Dominic Bradley left the meeting at 12.57pm.

11. Any other business

There was no other business.

12. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 20 October 2011 at 10.30am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.58pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
20 October 2011

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up