Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 23 June 2011

The meeting opened in closed session at 10.32am.

The Committee agreed to write to the Department to request information relating to funding for participative and competitive sports.

The Committee agreed to commission research on participative and competitive sports in the area of disability sports.

The meeting moved into open session at 10.37am.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of Meeting Held on 16 June 2011

The Committee agreed the minutes of 16 June 2011.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted that all of the correspondence agreed at last week’s meeting had been issued.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to ask the Clerk of the Committee to provide correspondence from the previous Committee relating to the North/South Language Body’s Annual Report and Accounts.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Department requesting the current position on the consolidation of the North/South Language Body’s Annual Report and Accounts.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to discuss the Assembly Research and Library briefing note at the start of Sport NI’s presentation to the Committee.

The Committee noted that an alternative date was being sought to hold the Health in Mind event.

The Committee noted that a representative of Cultúrlann will attend the informal networking session at next week’s meeting on 30 June 2011.

The Committee noted the distribution of the flyers promoting the 2012 Volunteers Bursary Scheme.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister regarding the 2015 Cricket World Cup.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Department to clarify the timescale and cost of the review into a modern Science Centre.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister regarding Arthur’s Cottage.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to keep a watching brief on the UK City of Culture project, and to request regular updates from the Department.

Agreed : The Committee noted the Department’s correspondence regarding the review into Arm’s Length Bodies, and agreed to request an update on the review in the new session.

Agreed : The Committee noted the Department’s correspondence regarding the recommendations made in the report on the Review into the Impact and Value of Museums, and agreed to follow up in the new session.

4. Presentation from Waterways Ireland

The Committee noted the Assembly Research and Information Service background paper on Waterways Ireland; and the Department’s paper on the role and remit of Waterways Ireland.

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.57am:

DCAL Official, Mr Donal Moran;

Chief Executive of Waterways Ireland, Mr John Martin;

Regional Manager (Northern Region) of Waterways Ireland, Mr Joe Gillespie; and

Head of Marketing and Communications of Waterways Ireland, Mr Éanna Rowe.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 11.17am.

A question and answer session followed.

Agreed : The Department agreed to provide information regarding the canal between Belfast and Lisburn.

The briefing concluded at 11.37am.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Department regarding development plans for the Ulster Canal.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a brief from Waterways Ireland regarding the Bye-laws consultation onto the Forward Work Programme; and to visit Waterways Ireland’s Headquarters.

5. Briefing from Sport NI

The Committee noted Sport NI’s paper.

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.42am:

Chief Executive of Sport NI, Professor Eamonn McCartan;

Director of Participation and Facilities, Mr Nick Harkness; and

Director of Performance Sport, Dr Shaun Ogle.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 12.13pm.

Ms Karen McKevitt left the meeting at 12.28pm.

Ms Karen McKevitt rejoined the meeting at 12.35pm.

Mr Dominic Bradley left the meeting at 12.39pm.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 12.43pm.

Agreed : Sport NI agreed to provide a written submission on the funding and governance of Special Olympics Ulster.

Agreed: Sport NI agreed to update the Committee on the outcome of their meeting with Departmental officials on school facilities.

The briefing concluded at 12.47pm.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to Sport NI requesting information regarding the Awards for Sport scheme.

Mr David Hilditch rejoined the meeting at 12.49pm.

Mr Dominic Bradley rejoined the meeting at 12.50pm.

6. Briefing from Ulster Rugby regarding Stadia Development

The following officials joined the meeting at 12.50pm:

Chief Executive of Ulster Rugby, Mr Shane Logan; and

Chair of Redevelopment Committee, Mr Cecil Watson.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 1.05pm.

The briefing concluded at 1.09pm.

7. EU Engagement

The Committee noted previous briefing papers from Assembly Research and Information Service on European Issues.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to commission research on the current European policy issues and legislation impacting on culture, arts and leisure; and also current funding opportunities.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to schedule briefs from the Department and from a Member of the European Economic and Social Committee onto the Forward Work Programme.

8. Correspondence

The Committee noted the Department’s Investing Activity Report.

The Committee noted the invites to attend the launch of the new public tours of Parliament Buildings on 4 July 2011; and Queen’s University Showcase event on 27 June 2011.

9. Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted that the Chairperson and Deputy Chairperson met with representatives from Disability Sport NI.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to schedule a brief from Disability Sports NI onto the Forward Work Programme.

The Committee noted all the invitations received by the Chairperson.

10. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

The Committee noted that the Minister would provide a written brief on her priorities for the meeting on 30 June 2011.

The following members confirmed that they would attend the meeting of 30 June at the Arts Council of Northern Ireland: Miss Michelle McIlveen; Mr Dominic Bradley; Ms Karen McKevitt; Mr Cathal Ó hOisín; and Mr Robin Swann.

Agreed : The Committee agreed that the brief from Libraries NI should be covered by Hansard.

11. Any Other Business

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development regarding the Forestry Land Byelaws.

12. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 30 June 2011 at 10.30am in Arts Council of Northern Ireland, MacNeice House, Malone Road, Belfast.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 1.19pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
30 June 2011
Chairperson

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up