Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 21 June 2012

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.42am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the following briefings would be covered by Hansard: Department’s Briefing on UK City of Culture 2013; and 2013 World Police and Fire Games Ltd briefing. 

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of Meetings held on 07 June 2012

The Committee agreed the minutes of 07 June 2012.

3. Matters Arising  

The Committee noted that a report on its visit to Scotland, as part of the Inquiry into the Creative Industries, will be circulated in advance of next week’s meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write thank you letters to all those who hosted the Committee during its visit.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to write to the Minister regarding the criteria; funding; administration; and accountability and evaluation arrangements for wider sectoral initiatives that are funded as part of the creative industries innovation fund.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to write to the Arts Council regarding the £151K it returned to DCAL from the creative industries innovation fund during 2011/12; and to seek clarification on how much has been allocated for grant allocation during 2012/13.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister regarding the timescale for Irish Language and Ulster Scots Language strategies.

The Committee noted correspondence from Libraries NI providing an update on the current position of the libraries that had previously been earmarked for closure, but are now subject to further review.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister regarding the achievements of the Northern Ireland Senior Netball team.

4. Briefing from NILGA regarding the Committee Inquiry into Maximizing the Potential of the Creative Industries in Northern Ireland

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.48am:

Chief Executive, Mr Derek McCallan; and

European Officer, Ms Karine McGuckin.

Mrs Karen McKevitt joined the meeting at 10.48am.

The officials briefed the Committee. 

A question and answer session followed.         

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 11.14am.

The officials left the meeting at 11.24am.           

Agreed: The Clerk agreed to inform the Committee of whether the Local Government and Arts Forum had responded to the Committee’s inquiry into the creative industries.

5. Written Paper from Oh Yeah Music Centre

The Committee noted the paper from Oh Yeah Music Centre providing details on music centres, creative hubs and music exhibitions.   

6. Briefing from DCAL on UK City of Culture 2013

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister, providing an updated position of the June Monitoring Round in respect of funding for the UK City of Culture project.

The following official joined the meeting at 11.27am:

Head of Arts Branch, Ms Joanna McConway.  

The official briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed. 

Mrs Brenda Hale left the meeting at 11.45am.

Mr Robin Swann left the meeting at 11.50am.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 11.57am.

The official left the meeting at 11.57am.

The meeting was suspended at 11.57am.           

Mr Robin Swann returned to the meeting at 11.58am.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 11.58am.

Mr David Hilditch returned to the meeting at 12.01pm.

The meeting resumed in open session at 12.02pm.        

Agreed: The Committee agreed to consider Agenda items 7 and 8 before the briefing from 2013 World Police and Fire Games Ltd.            

7. The Safety of Sports Grounds (Fees and Appeals) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012

Mr Michael McGimpsey returned to the meeting at 12.03pm.

Mr David Hilditch declared an interest as an operator of a sports ground.

Mr Cathál Ó hOisín declared an interest as an administrator for a sports ground.

S.R. 2012/219 The Safety of Sports Grounds (Fees and Appeals) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012

Question put and agreed:

That the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure has considered the Safety of Sports Grounds (Fees and Appeals) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012 and has no objection to the rule.

8. Draft Response to Budget Scrutiny Paper

Agreed: The Committee agreed its response to the Committee for Finance and Personnel’s Budget Scrutiny Discussion Paper.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward a copy of its response to the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure.

9. Briefing from 2013 World Police and Fire Games Ltd

The following officials joined the meeting at 12.10pm:         

Vice Chair, Mr Peter Craig;

CEO , Mr John Tully; and

Director of Communications and Marketing, Mr Alastair Magowan.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide to the Committee details on its marketing and PR campaign.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 12.26pm.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 12.42pm.

The officials left the meeting at 12.45pm.

Mr David Hilditch returned to the meeting at 12.46pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department in respect of the Business Case for the World Police and Fire Games; and for its assessment of the risks and contingency plan in the event that private sponsorship is not secured.

10. Correspondence

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Permanent Secretary expressing disappointment that it had not been briefed on the Department’s Corporate Plan in advance of its publication on the website. 

The Committee noted correspondence from the Environment Committee regarding the Northern Ireland Archaeology Forum’s letter to that Committee.

The Committee noted the report from the Finance and Personnel Committee regarding the future of EU funding after 2013. 

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister requesting: a breakdown of the cost of the pilot Gaeltacht Bursary Scheme; an outline of projected costs for full roll out of the scheme; details on the operational aspects of the scheme; clarification of the role of Foras na Gaeilge and other core funded groups in the delivery of this pilot; clarification on the requirement of a business case; and commenting on the difference in funding for the Irish Language and Ulster Scots Languages.

The Committee noted correspondence from Sport NI, advising that it is seeking applications for the Chair and Vice-Chair to the Board of Sport NI.

The Committee acknowledged that Mr Eric Sanders, previously Chair of Sport NI, had recently passed away.

11. Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted all invitations received.

The Committee noted that it has been invited to meet with a delegation from the Parliament of the Czech Republic, on Monday 2 July.

12. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

13. Any other business

There was no other business.

14. Date and Time of Next Meeting    

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Tuesday 26 June 2012 at 2.00pm in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.54pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
28 June 2012

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up