Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: Thursday, 20 September 2012

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in closed session at 10.36am. 

1. Consideration of CAL Committee End of Session Report

Mr Robin Swann joined the meeting at 10.37am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed the draft End of Session report.  

The meeting moved into open session at 10.40am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to both Ulster Rugby and Ulster GAA expressing the Committee’s condolences on the sad deaths of Nevin Spence and Brian Óg Maguire. 

2. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

3. Draft Minutes of Meetings held on 13 September 2012

The Committee agreed the minutes of 13 September 2012.

4. Matters Arising      

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Committee for the Environment regarding the launch of the new version of the NI Place Name project database.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to commission research on the firearms licencing practices for sport in GB and ROI.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to provide a nil response to the Committee for OFMDFM regarding the development of legislation on the Offices of the Assembly Ombudsman and Commissioner for Complaints.  

5. Briefing from DCAL on the Draft Strategies for Protecting and Enhancing the Development of the Irish Language and Ulster Scots Language, Heritage and Culture

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.45am:

Director of Culture, Mr Arthur Scott;

Head of Irish Language Bill & Language Strategies Team, Dr Michael Willis; and

Deputy Head of Irish Language Bill & Language Strategies Team, Mr Aidan McCann.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 11.06am.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide to the Committee details of its engagement with the Ministerial Advisory Group on the Ulster Scots Academy and the Ulster Scots Agency on the draft strategy.

Mrs Karen McKevitt joined the meeting at 11.12am.

Mrs Brenda Hale left the meeting at 11.18am.

Mrs Brenda Hale returned to the meeting at 11.20am.

The officials left the meeting at 11.45am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to: review the Hansard from the briefing session once available; and to write to NISRA to ascertain the questions on the 2011 Census form relating to the Irish and Ulster Scots Language, including verification of responses.

6. Briefing from Big Lottery Fund

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.46am:

Northern Ireland Director, Joanne McDowell; and

Head of Policy and Learning, Norrie Breslin.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 11.47am.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mrs Rosaleen McCorley left the meeting at 12noon.

Mr William Irwin left the meeting at 12.06pm.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 12.07pm.

Mrs Brenda Hale made a declaration that she is the Ambassador of the Army Benevolent Fund.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide to the Committee details of the Heroes Return 2 programme, including its evaluation.

Mr Oliver McMullan returned to the meeting at 12.10pm.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide to the Committee details of the share of the redistribution of lottery funds from BIG to other lottery distributors.

Mr Michael McGimpsey rejoined the meeting at 12.17pm.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide to the Committee details of funded projects in local areas.

The officials left the meeting at 12.19pm

7. CAL Committee Response on its Activities on European Issues

Agreed: The Committee agreed the draft report on its activities on European Issues.

8. Correspondence

The Committee noted the correspondence from the OFMDFM Committee on the Executive’s European Priorities: Implementation Plan for 2012-13.

The Committee noted the correspondence from Libraries NI on their quarterly policy screening report.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward to the Department the correspondence from Ms Diane Dodds MEP regarding Lough Erne eel fishermen, and to request a copy of the Department’s response. 

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule an oral briefing from Libraries NI on its review of mobile libraries; and to hold an external meeting at Ormeau Library including a tour of Central, Falls, Shankill libraries and the Grove Well Being Centre.

9. Chairperson’s Business

There was no Chairperson’s business.

10. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing on 2 October 2012 from Department officials on the views expressed during the salmon conservation consultation, to provide Members with an opportunity to comment.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to start the meeting of 27 September 2012 at 10am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to invite relevant groups to brief the Committee on disability and the arts; and to consider suitable venues for a visit.

11. Any other business

There was no other business.

12. Date and Time of Next Meeting          

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 27 September at 10.00am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.31pm.

Ms Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
27 September 2012

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up