Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 17 May 2012

Venue: Room 21

The meeting opened at 10.40am.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of Meetings held on 10 May 2012

The Committee agreed the minutes of 10 May 2012.

3. Matters Arising       

The Committee noted the Department’s correspondence regarding National Museums Northern Ireland’s budget and that National Museums Northern Ireland is briefing the Committee at the end of May.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward onto Mr Steven Agnew MLA the correspondence from the Department regarding his Private Members Bill.  

The Committee agreed that the Motion on archaeological archives should be tabled in the Business Office.

4. Briefing from DCAL regarding SL1 Safety at Sports Grounds (Fees and Appeals) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.47am:

Director of Sport and Stadiums, Mr Colin Watson; and

Head of Sport Branch, Mr Ciaran Mee.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr Dominic Bradley left the meeting at 10.59am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr David Hilditch made a declaration of his interest as a sports ground operator.

Mr Cathál Ó hOisín made a declaration of his interest as a GAA official.

The officials left the meeting at 11.02am.

The decision on the SL1 was deferred as the meeting was not quorate.

5. Briefing from Arts Council of Northern Ireland regarding the Committee Inquiry into Maximizing the Potential of the Creative Industries in Northern Ireland

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.03am:

Chief Executive, Ms Roisin McDonough;

Director of Operations, Ms Lorraine McDowell; and

Director of Strategic Development, Mr Nick Livingston.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Dominic Bradley rejoined the meeting at 11.25am.

Mrs Karen McKevitt joined the meeting at 11.34am.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide the concept note on the UK City of Culture project.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 11.47am.

Mr David Hilditch rejoined the meeting at 12.02pm.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 12.02pm.

Mrs Brenda Hale left the meeting at 12.04pm.   

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín rejoined the meeting at 12.07pm.

The officials left the meeting at 12.07pm.

The meeting was suspended at 12.07pm.

The meeting resumed at 12.13pm in open session.

With quorum achieved, the Committee agreed the following:

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to write to the Department to request details on where the top slice of money from the Creative Industries Innovation Fund has been spent; to request from the Department a geographical breakdown of the Community Festivals Fund; and to write to both the Strategic Investment Board and the Department in relation to the work undertaken regarding a National Gallery.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that it was content with the Department’s proposals to make the following Statutory Rule: Safety of Sports Grounds (Fees and Appeals) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012.

6. Joint briefing from John Anderson and John Edmund regarding the Committee Inquiry into Maximizing the Potential of the Creative Industries in Northern Ireland

The following officials joined the meeting at 12.16pm:

Partner in CementWorks Film Facilities, Mr John Anderson; and Consultant, Mr John Edmund.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Cathál Ó hOisín made a declaration of his involvement in the Irish Language Broadcast Fund.

The officials left the meeting at 12.46pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to request of a copy of the Film Industry Infrastructure Report.

7. Research and Information Services Briefing on Potential Options for a Committee Visit

The Committee noted the paper from Research and Information Services on the potential options for a Committee visit.

The Committee agreed that the Clerk should prepare a draft programme for a visit to Scotland. 

8. Marine Bill Draft Consultation response

Agreed: The Committee agreed its response to the Committee for the Environment’s Call for Evidence on the Marine Bill.

9. Legislative Consent Motion to the Cultural Gifts Scheme Provisions of the Westminster Finance Bill

Agreed: The Committee agreed its report on the Legislative Consent Motion to the Cultural Gifts Scheme Provisions of the Westminster Finance Bill.

10. Correspondence

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to request an oral briefing from the Department on its provisional outturn exercise; and to inform the Committee for Finance and Personnel of this action.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister advising the Committee of DCMS’ consultation regarding the transfer of functions of the Public Lending Right Scheme.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Committee for Finance and Personnel regarding the Review of the 2013-14 and 2014-15 budget allocations.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek an informal briefing from FASTA.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Committee for Education regarding funding for rugby coaches in schools.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Director of BBC Northern Ireland and the staff representatives of the National Union of Journalism to ascertain the impact that BBC Trust’s recommendations following its Delivery Quality First consultation will have on BBC Northern Ireland services.

11. Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted the invitations received.

The Chairperson advised she will be speaking as Chair on the Private Members’ Motion next week on Foras na Gaeilge’s Proposed Funding Model.

12. Forward Work Programme

The Committee agreed the changes to the forward work programme.

13. Any other business

There was no other business.

14. Date and Time of Next Meeting       

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 24 May 2012 at 11.30am in the E3 Campus, Springfield Road. The Committee noted that a tour of the site will commence at 10.30am.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 13.09pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
24 May 2012

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up