Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 16 February 2012

Venue: Point Boardroom, W5, Odyssey Complex

The meeting opened at 10.37am.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of Meeting held on 09 February 2012

The Committee agreed the minutes of 09 February 2012.

Mrs Karen McKevitt joined the meeting at 10.38am.

3. Matters Arising   

Agreed: The Committee agreed to return to the correspondence from the Department regarding the Odyssey Trust Company and the future provision of a science centre during the briefing with W5 later that day.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to forward to the Committee for Finance and Personnel the Minister’s response to the Committee’s queries on the delay in the publication of her Final Savings Delivery Plans; and to write to the Minister to ascertain the impact to her budget allocations following her assessment of Departmental priorities and the draft Programme for Government commitments. 

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Department of Education regarding the community use of schools.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to ask Sport NI to keep the Committee informed of its discussions with Ice Hockey UK; and to forward Sport NI’s response to the Committee’s queries regarding junior ice hockey to the Belfast Giants Junior Ice Hockey Club.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister, outlining her commitment to keep the Committee informed of implications on her capital budget following slippage in the 50m pool project.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to forward the correspondence regarding the route of the Olympic Torch in Portadown onto the Department for comment; and to write Mr David Simpson MP to notify him of the Committee’s actions.

The Committee noted the letter from the Minister responding to the Committee’s request for information regarding the source of the additional funding to libraries.

4.  Assembly Research and Information Services briefing on Fisheries Act 1966 and Planning and Inland Fisheries

The following official joined the meeting at 10.46am:

Dr Dan Hull, Assembly Researcher

The official briefed the Committee.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 10.55am.

A question and answer session followed.

The official left the meeting at 10.59am.

The Committee noted a written briefing from the Chairman of the Salmon and Inland Fisheries Forum, outlining his personal views on salmon conservation measures.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to arrange an informal meeting with the Chairman of the Salmon and Inland Fisheries Forum.

Mr Ó hOisín declared that he is a member of angling clubs.

5. Briefing from North Atlantic Wild Sea Salmon Fishermen’s Association regarding Salmon Conservation

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.02am:

Netsman, Mr Andrew O’Hare;
Netsman, Mr Martin McNeill; and

Fisheries Consultant, Paul Johnston Associates, Dr Paul Johnston.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr William Irwin joined the meeting at 11.04am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mrs Brenda Hale left the meeting at 11.57am.

Mrs Brenda Hale rejoined the meeting at 12.02pm.

The officials left the meeting at 12.16pm.

Mr Pat Sheehan left the meeting at 12.17pm.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 12.18pm.

6. DCAL Briefing on Angling and Salmon Conservation

The following officials joined the meeting at 12.19pm:

Director of Sports, Museums & Recreation Division, Mr Mick Cory;
Head of Inland Fisheries Group, Ms Karen Simpson; and
Chief Fisheries Officer, Mr Marcus McAuley.

The official briefed the Committee.

Mr Pat Sheehan rejoined the meeting at 12.20pm.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr David Hiditch rejoined the meeting at 12.33pm.

Agreed: The officials agreed to provide to the Committee prosecution figures for illegal catch of fish.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 1.02pm.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín rejoined the meeting at 1.04pm.

The officials left the meeting at 1.10pm.

Mr Robin Swann left the meeting at 1.11pm.

Mr William Irwin left the meeting at 1.11pm.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 1.12pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that Committee staff would draft a letter to the Minister outlining the Committee’s views on salmon conservation measures; and that the draft would be circulated around Members for their agreement early next week.

7. Briefing from NI Tourist Board regarding Tourism Strand of the World Police and Fire Games

The following officials joined the meeting at 1.12pm:

Chief Operating Officer, NITB, Ms Kathryn Thomson; and
Director of Business Development, NITB, Ms Siobhan McCauley.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr William Irwin rejoined the meeting at 1.14pm.

A question and answer session followed.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from World Police and Fire Games Ltd onto the Forward Work Programme.

The officials left the meeting at 1.25pm.

8. Correspondence

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to write to the Department to acknowledge the progress being made to clear the outstanding Post Project Evaluations; and to request an update on the status of the three that remain outstanding.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to write to the Committee for Social Development asking that it is kept informed of any developments regarding the Laganside Events Fund; and to forward the correspondence from the Cathedral Quarter Steering Group onto the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure for comment.

9. Chairperson’s Business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the UK City of Culture Company 2013 regarding the British One Act Finals.

10. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed the changes to the Forward Work Programme.

11. Any other business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward a draft of the Committee’s response to OFMDFM’s European Priorities paper onto the Department for comment, before circulating to Committee Members for agreement.

The following Members indicated that they would attend the Stakeholder event on Thursday 23 February 2012 on the Creative Industries Inquiry: Ms Michelle McIlveen MLA; Mrs Brenda Hale MLA; Mr David Hilditch MLA; Ms Karen McKevitt MLA; and Mr Cathal Ó hOisín MLA.

12. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 01 March 2012 at 10.30am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson suspended the meeting at 1.33pm.

The Chairperson resumed the meeting in closed session at 1.45pm.

13. Briefing with W5

The following officials joined the meeting at 1.45pm:

Director, Dr Sally Montgomery; and
Head of Exhibition and Design, Mr Adrian Lutton.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr Pat Sheehan left the meeting at 2.05pm.

Mr William Irwin left the meeting at 2.05pm.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 2.25pm.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 2.25pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
1 March 2012

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up