Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: Thursday, 15 November 2012

Venue: Room 21

The meeting opened in public session at 10.27am.

1. Apologies

There were no apologies.

2. Draft Minutes of Meetings held on 08 November 2012

The Committee agreed the draft minutes of 08 November 2012.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted correspondence from the DARD Minister providing a copy of the Terms of Reference of the working group considering the ownership of Lough Neagh.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to send the letters from IFA, IRFU and Ulster GAA, outlining their programmes aimed at disabled sports, onto Disability Sport NI.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín declared an interest as a Member of GAA and County Board official.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 10.29am.

The Committee noted the outcome of the Assembly Motion debate on 13 November 2012 on the Legacy of the Paralympic Games.

The Committee noted correspondence from Carrickfergus Borough Council regarding 2013 World Police and Fire Games. 

The Committee agreed to defer correspondence from IABA and Sandy Row Boxing Club until the Department’s briefing on Amateur Boxing.

Mrs Karen McKevitt joined the meeting at 10.33am.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 10.33am.

4. Libraries NI briefing on Mobile Libraries Service Strategy

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.33am:

Chairperson, Mr Nigel Macartney;

Chief Executive, Ms Irene Knox; and

Director of Library Services, Ms Helen Osborn.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr Oliver McMullan returned the meeting at 10.36am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr William Irwin left the meeting at 11.09am.

Mrs Karen McKevitt left the meeting at 11.17am.

Mr Dominic Bradley left the meeting at 11.18am.

Mr William Irwin returned to the meeting at 11.19am.

Mr David Hilditch joined the meeting at 11.20am.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 11.26am.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 11.27am.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín returned to the meeting at 11.31am.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 11.32am.

Ms Rosaleen McCorley left the meeting at 11.33am.

The officials left the meeting at 11.35am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Libraries NI: to encourage them to promote mobile libraries at rural and agricultural events; to engage with Irish and Ulster Scots language groups regarding access to material on mobile libraries;  and to provide statistics demonstrating the increase in usage of libraries in the Greater Belfast area.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Foras na Gaeilge seeking progress on the digitisation project.

5. S.R. 2012/397 Fisheries (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012

Question put and agreed:

That the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure has considered the Fisheries (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012 and has no objection to the rule.

6. DCAL briefing on Regional Stadiums

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.37am:

Director of Sport and Stadiums, Mr Colin Watson; and

Director of Regional Stadium Programme, Mr Noel Molloy.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Ms Rosaleen McCorley returned to the meeting at 11.37am.

Mr Michael McGimpsey returned to the meeting at 11.41am.

Mr Dominic Bradley returned to the meeting at 11.43am.

Mr Oliver McMullan returned to the meeting at 11.43am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr William Humphrey declared an interest as a member of Belfast City Council.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 12.11pm.

The officials left the meeting at 12.13pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to request the Gateway Review recommendations and to get confirmation of capacity figures at Ravenhill Rugby Ground.

7. DCAL and Sport NI briefing on Amateur Boxing

The following officials joined the meeting at 12.15pm:

DCAL Director of Sport and Stadiums, Mr Colin Watson;

DCAL Head of Sport, Mr Ciaran Mee;

Sport NI Director of Performance, Mr Shaun Ogle; and

Sport NI Boxing Investment Programme Manager, Mr Willie Devlin.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr Oliver McMullan returned to the meeting at 12.15pm.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Dominic Bradley left the meeting at 12.47pm.

Mr William Irwin left the meeting at 12.50pm.

Ms Rosaleen McCorley left the meeting at 12.50pm.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 1.01pm.

Mr Oliver McMullan returned to the meeting at 1.03pm.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 1.04pm.

Mr Robin Swann joined the meeting at 1.07pm.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 1.07pm.

Mr David Hilditch returned to the meeting at 1.07pm.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 1.13pm.

Mr William Humphrey declared an interest as a member of Belfast City Council.

Mrs Karen McKevitt returned to the meeting at 1.26pm.

The officials left the meeting at 1.30pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure to get an update of her meeting with the Irish Amateur Boxing Association and establish the criteria for funding for non-affiliated boxing clubs. The Committee also agreed to forward a copy of IABA and Sandy Row’s letter onto the Minister.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Sport NI to encourage it to offer the services of a neutral facilitator to mediate between Sandy Row Boxing Club and the Irish Amateur Boxing Association.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from Irish Amateur Boxing Association.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Belfast City Council to clarify how it’s funding for boxing will be used and what the eligibility criteria is. 

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the IFA to seek clarification regarding Derry City Football Club’s affiliation.

8. Correspondence

The Committee noted correspondence from Libraries NI regarding its quarterly screening report for July 2012 – September 2012.

The Committee noted the following documents: Property Asset Management in Central Government; and Community Relations Council - Shared Space.

9. Chairperson’s Business

Members noted that the Chairperson will welcome guests of the Arts Council to the Practice Intercultural Exchange reception this evening.

10. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed to have an additional meeting on Tuesday 20 November 2012 at 10.00am.

11. Any other business

There was no other business.

12. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Tuesday 20th November in Room 30, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 1.40pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
22 November 2012

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up