Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: Thursday, 14 March 2013

Venue: The MAC, St Anne's Square

The meeting opened at 10.46am.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of the Meeting held on 28 February 2013

The Committee agreed the draft minutes of 28 February 2013.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the correspondence tracker.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to advise her of outstanding correspondence from IABA and the Ulster Provincial Boxing Council.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, the Minister of Education and the Southern and Western Education and Library Boards regarding IFA access to sports facilities.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to NSPCC to request an update on any discussions with the Minister of Justice regarding abuse of trust issues and for its comments regarding the Minister of Justice's letter about this matter.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward all correspondence it has received regarding IFA's access to sport facilities to the IFA; and to forward correspondence from SELB and WELB to the education committee.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Disability Sport NI regarding its Development Plan 2013-2019; and to the Minister of Health regarding the comments by Disability Sport NI regarding disability sport programmes in the Northern area.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 10.57am.

The Committee noted the correspondence from Equity regarding local drama.

Agreed: The Committee agreed the draft response to OFCOM's consultation on Channel 3 and Channel 5 licencing.

4. Briefing from DCAL on Library Strategy

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.58am:

Director of Museums, Libraries and Recreation Division, Mr Mick Cory; and
DCAL Official, Mr David Polley.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr David Hilditch rejoined the meeting at 11.12am.

Mrs Karen McKevitt joined the meeting at 11.15am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 11.38am.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide to the Committee the number of Councils that allow constituents to pay their bills at libraries.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to provide a submission to DCAL on its proposed recommendations regarding the review of 'Delivering Tomorrow's Libraries' framework.

The officials left the meeting at 11.56am.

5. Briefing from Child Exploitation and Online Protection Unit on the Committee's Investigation into Gaps in Child Protection and

Safeguarding across the Culture, Arts and Leisure Remit

The following official joined the meeting at 11.57am:

Chief Executive, Mr Peter Davies.

The official briefed the Committee.

Mr Michael McGimpsey rejoined the meeting at 12.06pm.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr William Humphrey left the meeting at 12.28pm.

Mr William Humphrey rejoined the meeting at 12.32pm.

The official left the meeting at 12.43pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Chief Executive with outstanding questions in relation to legislation in other jurisdictions regarding child protection and safety.

7. Correspondence

The Committee noted correspondence from OFMDFM regarding DCAL's Investment Strategy for February 2013.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward correspondence from Mooreland and Owenvarragh Residents Association on the redevelopment of Casement Park on to the Minister and GAA for comment.

The Committee noted correspondence from Invest NI, advising that they have launched an App promoting Northern Ireland as an investment location.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward Ulster Hockey Union's correspondence regarding the impact of reduced funding onto the Minister for comment.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 12.46pm.

Ms Rosaleen McCorley left the meeting at 12.47pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister and Belfast City Council regarding Track Cycling Facilities.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to ask her to revisit the Elite Facilities programme.

The Committee noted the National Museums Northern Ireland Annual Report and Accounts 2011-12.

The Committee noted the Sports Council of Northern Ireland Annual Report and Accounts for the year ended 31 March 2012.

The Committee noted the tabled correspondence from Sustrans updating the Committee on staffing structures in Northern Ireland.

8. Chairperson's Business

The Committee noted the invitation tracker.

9. Forward Work Programme

The Committee agreed the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to start the meeting of 21 March 2013 at 10am.

10. Any Other Business

Mr Oliver McMullan rejoined the meeting at 12.52pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister for a formal response to the Committee inquiry report on the creative industries.

Agreed: The Committee agreed the draft press release on the Committee's visit to Drumclay Crannog.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to mark World Poem Day with a podcast of Members favourite poems.

11. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Tuesday 19th March 2013, at Room 144, Parliament Buildings.

The Committee adjourned at 12.53pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
21 March 2013

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up