Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 12 January 2012

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.40am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to have the briefing from the Ulster Angling Federation covered by Hansard.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of meeting held on 15 December 2011

The Committee agreed the minutes of 15 December 2011.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 10.42am.

3.  Matters Arising

Mr Oliver McMullan returned to the meeting at 10.43am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to forward the Department’s response outlining costs to Northern Ireland associated with the Olympics to Assembly Research and Information Services; and to write to the Department about possible photo opportunities during the Torch Relay stage in Lisburn.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to forward the Department’s response regarding the Post Project Evaluation for the Tollymore National Outdoor Centre to Mr John McCallister MLA; and to write to the Department seeking the current status of the Report and Action Plan.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to forward the Department’s response regarding the Celtic Chrono cycling event to the event’s organisers; and to seek an update from the organiser on any progress in securing funding.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to forward the Department’s response regarding the Lagan Canal to the Lagan Canal Restoration Trust; and to seek clarification from the Trust on any deadlines for funding applications.

Mrs Karen McKevitt joined the meeting at 10.46am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed, in the light of a BBC report, to write to the Department to seek an update on the current position on the Irish Government’s commitment to fund the restoration of part of the Ulster Canal.

Mr Robin Swann joined the meeting at 10.47am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to request the following information: details on the seven projects that benefited from a reallocation of funds within the January Monitoring Round; the implications for completion of the 50m pool project following damage to construction materials; and whether any compensation can be sought.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department: to request information on the grant programme to be launched by the Ulster Scots Ministerial Advisory Group; to seek clarification on whether this programme duplicates any of the work of the Ulster Scots Agency; and to request details on possible venues where any archives could be displayed.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the Department’s response regarding the Reservoirs Bill to the Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development and request that it keep the Committee informed of any future developments.

The Committee noted the Department’s response regarding its Memorandum of Understanding with the Northern Ireland Environment Agency and its Service Level Agreement with the Rivers Agency.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to send the Minister a copy of its letter to the Board of Libraries NI outlining the Committee’s position on the review of library opening hours.

4. Briefing from Arts Council of Northern Ireland regarding the Department’s Evaluation of the Annual Support for Organisations Programme.

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.53am:

Chief Executive, Ms Roisín McDonough;

Director of Operations, Ms Lorraine McDowell; and

Director of Strategic Development, Mr Nick Livingston.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 11.01am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín joined the meeting at 11.04am.

The officials left the meeting at 11.17am.

Agreed: It was agreed that Committee staff would send to Members the analysis of the location of recipients of the Arts Council’s Annual Support for Organisations Programme.

5.  Committee Inquiry into Maximising the Potential of the Creative Industries

The Committee noted the number of written submissions received to the consultation on the Inquiry and the timeline for key milestones over the next few weeks.

6. Correspondence

The Committee noted the Department’s Investing Activity Report for December 2011.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to return to DETI’s Draft Economic Strategy Action Plan on 19 January 2012.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 11.25am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to send the Minister a copy of NIPSA’s correspondence on the review of libraries opening hours; and to write to NIPSA outlining the Committee’s action on this consultation to date.

Agreed: The Committee noted the Department’s correspondence regarding salmon conservation in its jurisdiction.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from the Wild Sea Salmon Fisheries Association onto the Forward Work Programme.

The Committee noted the following documents: DCAL’s Disposal of Records Schedule; DCAL’s Resource Accounts 2010-2011; Waterways Ireland’s Annual Report 2010; and Armagh Observatory and Planetarium’s Annual Report and Accounts 2010-2011.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to write to the Department for clarification on terms used in its Disposal of Records Schedule and for clarification of the status of the investigation into the Northern Ireland Events Company.

7. Chairperson’s Business

The Committee agreed to meet the Oireachtas’ Joint Committee on Environment, Transport, Culture Committee and the Gaeltacht on 26 January. The following members indicated their intention to attend: Miss Michelle McIlveen (Chair); Mr Dominic Bradley; Mrs Brenda Hale; Mr William Irwin; Mrs Karen McKevitt; and Mr Cathal Ó hOisín.

The Committee noted all invitations received by the Committee and events that the Chair will be attending on behalf of the Committee.

8. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to circulate the revised Foras na Gaeilge consultation to members; and to request a briefing from the Department on the Foras na Gaeilge consultation as early as possible.

9. Any other business

There was no other business.

10. Date and Time of Next Meeting           

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 19 January 2012 in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

11. Briefing from Ulster Angling Federation

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.33am:

Chairman, Mr Jim Haughey MBE; and

Development Officer, Mr Robbie Marshall.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Cathál Ó hOisín made a declaration that he is a lifelong angler and is a member of various angling associations and clubs.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 12.19pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to write to the Department outlining the issues raised during the Ulster Angling Federation’s briefing and to recommend to the Minister that she meets with the Federation.

The Committee meeting moved into closed session at 12.19pm.

Mrs Brenda Hale left the meeting at 12.20pm.

Mr Oliver McMullan returned to the meeting at 12.20pm.

Mrs Brenda Hale returned to the meeting at 12.23pm.

Mr Dominic Bradley left the meeting at 12.27pm.

The officials left the meeting at 12.35pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to write to the Permanent Secretary of the Department outlining issues raised during the Ulster Angling Federation’s briefing to the Committee; to request a briefing from the Department on angling issues; and to commission research on the 1966 Fisheries Act and related European Legislation and on planning issues affecting fisheries. 

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.39pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
19 January 2012

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up