Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 07 June 2012

Venue: Room 21

The meeting opened in public session at 10.37am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the following briefings would be covered by Hansard: Departmental briefing on Review of Arm’s Length Bodies; and Departmental briefing on Media Communications Protocol.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of Meetings held on 31 May 2012

The Committee agreed the minutes of 31 May 2012.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department regarding the geographical spread of the Community Festivals Fund.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister confirming that officials will brief the Committee on boxing issues.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department advising that the British Association of Shooting and Conservation’s request to be included as a consultee regarding the ownership of Lough Neagh has been forwarded to the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request: from the Ulster Scots Academy it’s revised Savings Delivery Plans and details on those projects that cannot now be funded as a result of a reduction in its budget; and from the Department clarification on its decision to reduce the Ulster Scots Academy’s budget.

Mr David Hilditch made a declaration that he is a Project Manager of an Ulster Scot’s project. 

The Committee agreed to write to RTÉ to request details of those locations that will not have access to RTÉ following digital switchover.

Mr Robin Swann joined the meeting at 10.42am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request a briefing from BBC NI on the BBC’s strategy and proposals for Northern Ireland.

4. Briefing from Arts and Business NI regarding the Committee Inquiry into Maximizing the Potential of the Creative Industries in Northern Ireland

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.44am:

Chief Executive, Ms Mary Trainor-Nagelle;

Chair, Ms Joanne Stuart;

Arts Manager, Ms Brona Whittaker.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mrs Karen McKevitt joined the meeting at 10.52am.

Mr William Irwin joined the meeting at 10.55am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Dominic Bradley left the meeting at 11.28am.

Mr Dominic Bradley rejoined the meeting at 11.34am.

The officials left the meeting at 11.35am.

5. Assembly Research and Information Services Briefing on DCAL’s Creative Industries Framework and the Scottish Creative Industries Strategy

The following official joined the meeting at 11.36am:

Dr Dan Hull, Assembly researcher

The official briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mrs Brenda Hale left the meeting at 11.44am.

The official left the meeting at 11.54am.

6. Briefing from DCAL on the Review of Arm’s Length Bodies

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.55am:

Deputy Secretary, Ms Cynthia Smith;

Director of Finance and Corporate Services, Ms Deborah Brown; and  

Head of ALB Review Team, Mr Paul McAllister.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mrs Brenda Hale rejoined the meeting at 12.11pm.

Agreed: Officials agreed: to provide to the Committee a copy of Sport NI’s Terms of Reference for its Governance Review; and to return to the Committee to present the findings from the review of National Museums Northern Ireland.

The officials left the meeting at 12.29pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to: outline its concerns raised during the briefing; request a revised Project Initiation Document and timescale for the review; and seek clarification on the impact the review will have to those awaiting sponsorship from Sport NI.

7. Briefing from DCAL regarding Media Communications Protocol

The following officials joined the meeting at 12.34pm:

Ms Deborah Brown, Director of Finance and Corporate Services;

Mr Arthur Scott, Director of Culture; and

Ms Carol Magill, Head of Communications.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Dominic Bradley left the meeting at 12.54pm.

The officials left the meeting at 12.56pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request that it is kept informed and updated on the development and finalisation of the draft Media Communications Protocol.

8. Budget Scrutiny Discussion Paper

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 12.59pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to consider a draft response to the Committee for Finance and Personnel’s Budget Scrutiny Discussion Paper at its meeting on 21 June 2012.

9. Correspondence

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department regarding its analysis of Sickness Absence in 2010/2011.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for Enterprise, Trade and Investment regarding National Museums NI.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the tabled correspondence from the Department on the Protect Life strategy to the Committee for Health, Social Services and Public Safety.

The Committee noted that the following publication has been received by the Committee office: Audiences Northern Ireland - Guide to Services 2012/13.

10. Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted the invitations received.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward to Research and Information Services the briefing papers from both Northern Ireland Archaeological Forum and Northern Ireland Museums Council’s on archaeological archives.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to bring gifts to those dignitaries that have agreed to meet with the Committee during its Inquiry visit to Scotland. 

The Committee agreed to invite the Members of the Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development to the informal meeting with FASTA in early July.

11. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

12. Any other business

The Committee was advised that the following members will be attending the Inquiry visit to Scotland: Ms Michelle McIlveen (Chair); Mr Dominic Bradley; Ms Brenda Hale; Mr David Hilditch; Mrs Karen McKevitt; and Mr Robin Swann.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to GAA regarding medals for the Under 12’s given by a Tyrone County Club and also the Joe McKelvey Shield.

13. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 21 June 2012 at 10.30am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 1.05pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
21 June 2012

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up