Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: Thursday, 07 February 2013

Venue: Room 21

The meeting opened in closed session at 10.36am.

1. Committee Inquiry into Maximising the Potential of the Creative Industries

Agreed: The Committee agreed draft recommendations 6 through to 18.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to meet on Tuesday 12 February 2013 to consider the draft Executive Summary and draft Main Body.

The Committee moved into open session at 10.50am.

2. Apologies

There were no apologies.

3. Draft Minutes of the Meeting held on 31 January 2013 and 5 February 2013

The Committee agreed the draft minutes of 31 January 2013 and 5 February 2013.

4. Matters Arising

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule an informal meeting with the Chief Executive of World Police and Fire Games Ltd next week, to brief the Committee on issues relating to the venue for the opening ceremony.  

The Committee noted the correspondence tracker outlining all of the outstanding correspondence since September 2012.

5. Briefing from NSPCC on Committee’s Investigation into Gaps in Child Protection and Safeguarding Across the Culture, Arts and Leisure Remit

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.54am:

Policy and Public Affairs Manager, Mr Colin Reid;

Child Protection in Sport Officer, Mr Paul Stephenson; and

Senior Training & Development Consultant, Ms Irene McCready.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 11.17am.

Mr William Humphrey made a declaration that he is a member of the Scouts Association.

Mr William Irwin joined the meeting at 11.35am.

Mr William Humphrey left the meeting at 11.41am.

Mr William Humphrey rejoined the meeting at 11.48am.

Ms Rosaleen McCorley left the meeting at 11.52am.

Ms Rosaleen McCorley rejoined the meeting at 11.57am.

The officials left the meeting at 11.57am.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 11.57am.

Deputy Chairperson, Mr William Irwin, took the Chair at 11.57am.

Chairperson, Miss Michelle McIlveen, left the meeting at 11.57am.

6. Briefing from Arts Council for Northern Ireland on Committee’s Investigation into Gaps in Child Protection and Safeguarding Across the Culture, Arts and Leisure Remit

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.58am:

Director of Strategic Development, Mr Nick Livingston; and

Youth Arts Officer, Mr Gavin O’Connor.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr Oliver McMullan rejoined the meeting at 11.59am.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 12noon.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín made a declaration that he is a GAA Official.

Mr William Humphrey left the meeting at 12.20pm.

The officials left the meeting at 12.22pm.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 12.22pm.

7. Research and Information Services Briefings on an Update on European Issues and EU Priorities both relating to Culture, Arts and Leisure

The following official joined the meeting at 12.23pm:

Assembly Researcher, Dr Dan Hull.

The official briefed the Committee.

Mr David Hilditch rejoined the meeting at 12.24pm.

Mr Cathal Ó hÓisín rejoined the meeting at 12.25pm.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 12.25pm.

Mr Dominic Bradley left the meeting at 12.30pm.

Mr Oliver McMullan rejoined the meeting at 12.31pm.

Ms Karen McKevitt joined the meeting at 12.40pm.

A question and answer session followed.

The official left the meeting at 12.46pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Clerk should draft a response outlining its European priorities to the Committee for OFMDFM, for inclusion in its Report on the Assembly’s declared European Priorities.

8. Correspondence

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward onto the Ministerial Advisory Group for Built Architecture and Built Environment correspondence from the Environment Committee seeking its comments on the Planning Bill. 

The Committee noted the invitation from the Education Committee to the Sports in Schools event.

9. Chairperson’s Business

Mr Dominic Bradley rejoined the meeting at 12.50pm.

Agreed: The Committee noted the date for the debate on the Committee’s Motion on Grassroot and Elite Sports Facilities; and agreed the content of the information pack that will be made available on the website for all Members.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that its meeting on 28 February 2013 should start at 10am.

10. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed changes to the Forward Work Programme.

11. Any other business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule an oral briefing from Foras na Gaeilge on the closure of Gaelscéal.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to invite Libraries NI to clarify the position of members being required to re-register during its oral briefing to the Committee on 21 February 2013.

12. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Tuesday 12th  February 2013, Parliament Buildings.

The Committee adjourned at 12.57pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
14 February 2013

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up