Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 10 February 2011

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in closed session at 10.35 a.m.

1. Cyclists (Protective Headgear) Bill

The Deputy Chairperson proposed that the Committee takes the Cyclists (Protective Headgear) Bill to the Committee stage but only takes oral evidence from the Member who sponsors the Bill and written evidence from stakeholders.

The Committee divided: Ayes 4; Noes 5.

Ayes: The Chairperson, the Deputy Chairperson, Mr McCarthy, Mr Sheehan

Noes: Lord Browne, Mr Hilditch, Mr Humphrey, Mr McClarty, Mr Robinson.

The meeting moved into opened session at 10.50 a.m.

2. Apologies

Mr Billy Leonard

3. Draft minutes 03 February 2011

The Committee agreed the minutes of 03 February 2011.

4. Matters arising

The Committee noted the letter from the Department regarding their briefing on the final museums policy.

The Committee noted the letter from the Department in relation to arts spend per capita.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department in relation to arts spend per capita.

The Committee noted the response from the Department regarding their Planning Bill presentation to the Environment Committee.

The Committee noted the Committee Office report on the informal meeting with representatives from the Belfast Jewish Community.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department in relation to the Jewish Community’s plans to open a museum on the site of the synagogue in Annesely Street, Belfast.

The Committee noted the Committee Office report on the Ofcom conference.

The Committee noted the response from the Department for Enterprise, Trade and Investment regarding the potential of redeveloping Lough Erne and Lower Bann.

The Deputy Chairperson raised the issue of North South Language Body.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department regarding the North South Language Body.

5. Inquiry into Participation in Sport and Physical Activity in Northern Ireland - consideration of Minister’s response

The Committee considered the Department’s response to the Inquiry into Participation in Sport and Physical Activity in Northern Ireland.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister and other relevant Ministers in relation to the Inquiry into Participation in Sport and Physical Activity in Northern Ireland.

6. Assembly Research paper – Assessing the Impact and Value of Museums

The Committee considered the Assembly Research paper.

Dr Dan Hull briefed the Committee on the Impact and Value of Museums.

Mr Burns joined the meeting at 11.24 a.m. 
Mr Burns left the meeting at 11.35 a.m.

A question and answer session followed.

7. Committee Review into the value and impact of museums – Oral evidence session – Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure

The Committee considered the briefing paper from the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure.

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.37 a.m.

Alastair Hughes, Head of Museums and Libraries Branch – DCAL
David Polley, DCAL Official
Patrick Neeson, Principal Economist – DCAL

The officials provided evidence to the Committee Review into the value and impact of museums.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Burns rejoined the meeting at 11.52 a.m.

The officials left the meeting at 12.05 p.m.

Lord Browne left the meeting at 12.05.pm

Committee Review into the value and impact of museums – Oral evidence session – Heritage Lottery Fund

The Committee considered the briefing paper from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

The following representatives joined the meeting at 12.05 p.m

Paul Mullan, Head of Heritage Lottery Fund Northern Ireland
Gareth Meer, Research Manager – Heritage Lottery Fund

The representatives provided evidence to the Committee Review into the value and impact of museums.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Humphrey left the meeting at 12.23 p.m. 
Mr Burns left the meeting at 12.26 p.m. 
Mr McClarty left the meeting at 12.26 p.m. 
Mr Humphrey rejoined the meeting at 12.27 p.m. 
Mr Sheehan left the meeting at 12.34 p.m. 
The Deputy Chairperson left the meeting at 12.36 p.m. 
Mr Sheehan rejoined the meeting at 12.37 p.m.

The representatives left the meeting at 12.39 p.m.

Committee Review into the value and impact of museums – Oral evidence session – National Museums Northern Ireland

The Committee considered the briefing paper from the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure.

The following representatives joined the meeting at 12.39 p.m.

The Deputy Chairperson rejoined the meeting at 12.39 p.m.

Paddy Gilmore, Director of Learning & Partnership – NMNI
Dr Jim McGreevy, Director of Collections and Interpretations – NMNI
Gillian McLean, Director of Marketing Communications & Trading - NMNI

The representatives provided evidence to the Committee Review into the value and impact of museums.

Mr Hilditch left the meeting at 12.48 p.m.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Humphrey declared an interest as he is a councilor on Belfast City Council.

Mr Humphrey left the meeting at 12.59 p.m.

The representatives left the meeting at 1.02 p.m.

The Committee noted the tabled written evidence from stakeholders in relation to the Review into the Impact and Value of Museums.

8. Chairperson’s Business

The Chairperson advised the Committee that he and the Deputy Chairperson attended the ‘Stars in their Eyes’ event run by St Mary’s GAC, Rasharkin, on Saturday 5 February at Tullyglass Hotel, Ballymena.

9. Correspondence

The Committee noted the OFMDFM memo regarding the draft sustainable development implementation plan.

The Committee noted the Belfast Healthy Cities 2009 – 2010 Annual Report.

The Committee noted the correspondence from NI Community Relations Council regarding Beyond Belfast.

The Committee noted the NI Community Relations Council invite to Remembering the Future conference.

The Committee noted the Advice NI Annual Report and Membership Profile Report.

The Committee noted the Waterways Ireland Annual Report and Accounts 2009.

The Committee noted the Invite from the MAC for artwork.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request more information from the MAC in relation to the invitation.

The Committee considered the tabled email from Community Arts Forum in relation to World Community Arts Day 17 February 2010.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to formally mark the World Community Arts Day

10. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

11. Any Other Business

There was no other business.

12. Date and time of next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 17 February 2011 at 10.30am. in the Senate, Parliament Buildings, Ballymiscaw.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 1.07 p.m.

Mr Barry McElduff, MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
17 February 2011

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up