Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 29 April 2010

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.35 a.m.

Members were informed that the briefing from the Department in relation to the draft museums policy has been rescheduled to the meeting of 27 May 2010.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft minutes of 22 April 2010

Agreed: The draft minutes of the meeting held on 22 April 2010 were agreed.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the response from the Department in relation to performance against the 10 day payment of invoices target and the memo from the Clerk of the ETI Committee on this issue.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department requesting figures for January – March 2010.

The Committee noted the submission from the Minister to the Committee for Employment and Learning’s inquiry into young people who are not in education, employment or training.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister on engagement with Europe. The Committee noted papers on Europe forwarded by the OFMdFM Committee.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to consider how best to address European issues when formulating its forward work programme for the 2010-2011 session.

The Committee noted the response from the Arts Council in relation to the William Kennedy Piping Festival and the Armagh Pipers Club.

The Committee noted the response from DCAL in relation to the membership of the Sport Matters Monitoring Group.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek the names of the individual members from the Department.

4. Inquiry into participation in sport and physical activity

The Committee noted the Sport NI survey of timetabled PE in primary schools in Northern Ireland.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Committee for Education on the matter.

5. Joint Committee of core-funded groups briefing on Foras na Gaeilge funding

The following representatives from the joint-committee of core-funded groups joined the meeting:

Aodán Mac Póilin 
Janet Muller 
Ciarán Ó Pronntaigh 
Mícheál Ó Máirtín

The representatives briefed the Committee. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Mr McCarthy declared an interest as his children are being schooled in the medium of Irish.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to invite Foras na Gaeilge and DCAL to brief it on the issues concerned.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to ask the Department for details of the information it has provided to groups on the consultation process for the draft Language Strategy.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister seeking an update on the status of the draft Language Strategy.

6. Sport NI Budget 2010/2011

The Committee noted the responses from DCAL and Sport NI in relation to the Sport NI budget for 2010/2011.

The following departmental official joined the meeting:

Colin Watson – Head of Sports Branch

The official briefed the Committee. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Sport NI to seek a definitive clarification into its budget allocation.

7. Review of DCAL Resource Accounts for year ended 31 March 2009

The Committee noted the paper provided by the Clerk in relation to DCAL’s resource accounts for the year ended 31 March 2009.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to the suggested actions.

8. Chairperson’s Business

Members were informed that the Chairperson will be attending the Lyric Theatre production of “The Miser” at the Elmwood Hall on 11 May 2010.

Members were informed that the Chairperson will be attending the closing concert of the Ulster Orchestra’s 2009/10 Season on 21 May 2010 at the Waterfront Hall.

9. Correspondence

The Committee considered the correspondence from the Finance Committee in relation to the Performance and Efficiency Delivery Unit.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to enquire whether it has it considered employing the services of the Unit.

The Committee noted correspondence from Dr Ian Adamson in relation to Ullans and Ulster-Scots cultural issues within the Ulster Scots Agency.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Environment Committee which stated that the GAA briefed it in relation to its ‘Live to Play’ road safety campaign.

The Committee noted the email from the Lyric Theatre requesting to brief the Committee on progress to date with the new build.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Lyric Theatre requesting a written update in the first instance, with a view to a meeting with the Chairperson and Deputy Chairperson.

Members noted that the Committee office had received a publication from the Northern Ireland Ombudsman entitled ‘40 Years-Reflections in Time’.

10. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the forward work programme.

Members were reminded that the Committee is hosting a townland names event at the Balmoral Show on Wednesday 12 May 2010 at 6pm-8pm.

11. Any other Business

None.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.16p.m.

Mr Barry McElduff MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
13 May 2010

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up