Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 22 October 2009

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 1.05 p.m.

1. Apologies

Apologies are detailed above.

2. Draft Minutes of 15 October 2009

Agreed : The draft minutes of the meeting held on 15 October 2009 were agreed.

3 . Matters Arising

The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister regarding the television licence fee income.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister regarding the length of closure proposed for the Public Record Office Northern Ireland.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the correspondence from the Minister to the Society of Genealogists and to John McAllister MLA.

1.10 p.m. Mr McNarry joined the meeting.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister regarding the Departmental budget.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to seek clarification on what bids and reduced requirements are currently being considered by the Executive in relation to the DCAL budget for 2009/2010 and 2010/2011.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to seek clarity on a media report which stated that £110 million has been set aside by the Executive for stadia development. It was also agreed to obtain a transcript from Ulster Television of the interview held on Wednesday 21 October 2009 with the Minister for Culture, Arts and Leisure on this subject.

The Committee noted the letter received from the Ulster Scots Agency regarding the status of its language, publication and community relations strategies.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Ulster Scots Agency to obtain further details on the strategies.

The Chairperson reminded the Committee that at the meeting on 15 October 2009 a member raised a query relating to the rating of listed buildings. The Committee noted the response from the Assembly Research and Library Services.

1.25 p.m. Mr McCartney joined the meeting.

4. Briefing from the Northern Ireland Office (NIO), DCAL and Sport NI on sports law and spectator safety consultation

The following witnesses joined the meeting:

Gareth Johnston – Deputy Director and Head of Criminal Justice
Policy Division, NIO
Tom Haire – Head of Criminal Law Branch, NIO
Ciaran Mee – Senior Sports Development Officer, DCAL
Paul Scott – Sport NI

The Committee took evidence from officials which was followed by a question and answer session. The session was recorded by Hansard.

Lord Brownedeclared an interest as a member of Linfield Football Club.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request a summary of the responses to the consultation from the NIO and for a copy of the draft legislation when it is available.

2.15 p.m. Mr McNarry left the meeting. 
2.25 p.m. Mr McNarry returned to the meeting.

5. Discussion with Departmental officials regarding indigenous language strategy

The Committee noted a written submission from DCAL and further information from Republic of Ireland government officials following the meeting of 24 September 2009.

The following witnesses joined the meeting:

Arthur Scott – Director of Culture, DCAL
Donal Moran – Head of Languages Branch, DCAL
Kevin Hamill – DCAL Official

The Committee took evidence from departmental officials which was followed by a question and answer session. The session was recorded by Hansard.

3.00 p.m. Mr McNarry left the meeting.

6. Discussion on possibility of Committee Townland Names Bill

The Committee considered a briefing paper from the Clerk on the process, workload and timescales involved with a Committee Bill.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Committee for the Environment and the Committee for Finance and Personnel to ascertain their views on the possibility of the Culture, Arts and Leisure Committee bringing forward such a Bill.

7. Correspondence

The Committee noted correspondence received from Ofcom regarding the extension of their Broadcasting Code review and the research report on Local and Regional media.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Ofcom for further information on the Programme for Promotion of Digital Participation.

The Committee noted correspondence from the DFP Committee relating to reporting systems for PSA targets.

The Committee noted the Executive’s response to the European Action Plan.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to add consideration of DCAL’s engagement on European issues to its forward work programme.

The Committee noted correspondence from NILGA seeking information on the committee’s work programme and agreed that the Clerk should reply on its behalf.

The Committee noted correspondence from B9 Energy Offshore.

The Committee noted two newspaper articles forwarded by the Arts Council.

The Committee noted that the Community Relations Council’s journal ‘Shared Space’ is available in the committee office.

8. Chairperson’s business

The Chair advised that he had attended an informal meeting with the Chair and Chief Executive of the Odyssey on Wednesday 21 October 2009.

The Chair advised that he would be attending a seminar on issues affecting ethnic minority communities, in the Strule Arts Centre Omagh on Friday 23 October 2009.

The committee moved into closed session at 3.13 p.m.

9. Inquiry into the funding of the arts in Northern Ireland

The Committee considered its draft report and made a number of amendments to Chapter 1.

The Chairperson advised that the revised draft report will be presented at the meeting of 5 November 2009.

3.17 p.m. Mr PJ Bradley left the meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to host a musical event in the Long Gallery to mark the launch of the report.

10. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister on the Digital Economy Bill and the Video Recordings Bill.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request a presentation from DCAL officials on this issue on 12 November 2009.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to invite S.H.I.P. and HMS Caroline to make presentations on 19 November 2009.

11. Any other business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Ofcom to seek advice regarding direct debit payments being taken by Sentanta Sports.

12. Date and time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be on Thursday 5 November 2009 at 10.30am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings, Stormont.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 3.31 p.m.

Mr. Barry McElduff MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
05 November 2009

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up