Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 19 November 2009

Venue: ULSTER MUSEUM, BELFAST

The meeting opened in public session at 10.36 a.m.

1. Apologies

Apologies are detailed above.

2. Draft Minutes of 12 November 2009

Agreed: The draft minutes of the meeting held on 12 November 2009 were agreed.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted a response from the Scottish Government on its Cashback for Communities Scheme.

10.37a.m. Mr. McCartney joined the meeting.

The Committee noted a response from Ofcom regarding Setanta Sports customers and digital participation.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the reponse to Mr. Morgan for information.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to make further inquiries on the Setanta Sports issue.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding the Place Names Project.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that, through the DFP Committee, it would write to the Minister of Finance and Personnel in order to express its support for the continued funding of the project.

The Committee noted a response from the Ulster Scots Agency regarding language strategy.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Agency in order to request copies of all its strategies.

The Chairperson advised that the Hansard of 17 November 2009 regarding the discussions on indigenous languages at the recent British-Irish Council summit meeting will be considered at next week’s meeting.

The Committee noteda response from the Arts Council NI regarding the EU Culture Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write back to the Arts Council to make further inquiries in relation to the recent event to promote the EU Culture Programme.

4. Change to museum opening hours

The Committee noted a NI Assembly Research Services paper.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister regarding changes to museum opening hours.

The Assembly Research Officer briefed the Committee and this was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to National Museums NI regarding staffing for the Ulster Museum, the research methodology used as the basis for the change to opening hours, and any plans it has for reviewing visitor figures for the various days of the week.

5. Presentations on maritime museum provision

The Committee noted a written submission from Seán Neeson MLA.

The Committee noted a written submission from the Shared History Interpretative Project (SHIP).

The following witnesses joined the meeting:

Liam McBrinn, Chairperson – SHIP
Brian McCann, Secretary – SHIP

Lord Browne declared an interest as a member of Belfast City Council.

The witnesses briefed the Committee and this was followed by a question and answer session.

The Committee noted a written submission from the HMS Caroline Committee.

The following witnesses joined the meeting:

Frank Robinson, Chairman - HMS Caroline Committee
Gordon Millington, Secretary - HMS Caroline Committee
Primrose Wilson, HMS Caroline Committee member

The witnesses briefed the Committee and this was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request a briefing with the Permanent Secretary in order to explore the Department’s role in taking forward the preservation of maritime history.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department in order to encourage it to meet with SHIP.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to visit various sites that are of importance to maritime heritage as part of its Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to make inquiries regarding the ownership of the Sir Samuel Kelly.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to make inquiries regarding access restrictions to the aircraft being kept at the Maze site.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to find out which public body in Liverpool was responsible for developing the docks area and the maritime museum.

6. Correspondence

The Committee noted a WCRP report – Women Living in Disadvantaged Communities: Barriers to Participation.

The Committee noted a memo from the Committee for Regional Development regarding its Sustainable Transport Inquiry.

7. Chairperson’s business

No items were raised.

8. Forward work programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that next week’s session with DCAL on progress against PfG and PSAs should be covered by Hansard.

The Committee moved into closed session at 12.20 p.m.

9. Inquiry into the funding of the arts in Northern Ireland

The Committee noted suggested lines for members for debate and a draft press release.

Agreed: The Committee agreed lines for members for debate.

Agreed: The Committee agreed the contents of the draft press release.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to provide light refreshments for those attending the musical event on 24 November 2009, given that it is to take place over lunch time.

10. Any other business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek information on the background to the closure of the Northern Ireland Music Commission for consideration at next week’s meeting.

11. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be on Thursday 26 November 2009 at 10.30 a.m. in room 21, Parliament Buildings, Stormont.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.23 p.m.

Mr. Barry McElduff MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
26 November 2009

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up