Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 17 September 2009

Venue: Room 152, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.30 a.m.

The Deputy Chairperson advised the Committee that Mr Clarke and Ms McIlveen’s interests had been tabled today.

1. Apologies

Apologies are detailed above.

2. Draft Minutes of 10 and 15 September 2009

Agreed : The draft minutes of the meetings held on 10 and 15 September 2009 were agreed.

3 . Matters Arising

The Committee noted correspondence from the Creative Youth Partnership regarding funding.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Carvill Group expressing its support for the Creative Youth Partnership. 
Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek an update on the status of the Creative Youth Partnership’s funding in a month’s time.

The Committee noted a response from the Ulster-Scots Agency on the status of its language strategy.
Agreed: The Committee agreed to request a copy of the language strategy document and to make enquiries regarding progress with the publication strategy and the community relations strategy.

The Committee noted a response from Sport NI on Physical Literacy Coordinators.

The Committee agreed to note the possibility that the changing gender balance within teaching staff may be having an impact on schools’ PE provision.

The Committee reviewed various items of correspondence relating to the Place Names Project at Queen’s University Belfast. Mr Bradley updated the Committee on actions he has taken regarding townland names.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister of Education regarding clarification of children’s cultural rights.

The Committee noted correspondence from Sticky Fingers requesting a meeting with the Committee.
Agreed: The Committee agreed to include this organization in the round-robin event that is to be held in December.

The Deputy Chairperson advised the Committee on the current status of the German Department at Queen’s University Belfast.

The Deputy Chairperson advised the Committee that the Department of Culture Arts and Leisure will not be responding to the NI Multiple Deprivation Consultation.

4. Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted a summary of the key points made by the Minister at the meeting on 15 September 2009 regarding the Digital Britain Report.

The Committee noted reports of the meetings held with UTV and an independent TV producer on 16 September 2009.

Agreed: Members agreed to remove the scheduled session for 8 October 2009 on the Department’s response to Digital Britain from the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to discuss the Digital Britain issue with the BBC.

5. End of Session Report

The Committee considered a draft of its End of Session Report.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward any proposed amendments to the Committee Office by noon on Friday 18 September 2009.

6. Discussion with BBC NI and local playwrights regarding local portrayal and production in broadcasting

The Committee noted written submissions from BBC NI, Gary Mitchell and Eddie Kerr.

The following witnesses joined the meeting:

Peter Johnston (Director of BBC NI)
Eddie Kerr (Playwright)
Gary Mitchell (Playwright)

The witnesses made their opening remarks to the Committee and this was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to review the Hansard before further consideration of the issues.

12.00 p.m. The Deputy Chairperson adjourned the meeting. 
12.13 p.m. The Deputy Chairperson re-opened the meeting.

7. Discussion with BBC NI on future of Lets Talk

Peter Johnston, Director of BBC NI, briefed the Committee on BBC NI’s decision to remove Let’s Talk from viewing schedules.

This was followed by a question and answer session.

8. Correspondence

The Committee noted correspondence from National Museums NI and from NIPSA regarding revised opening hours at museums. 
Agreed : The Committee agreed to invite National Museums NI and NIPSA to brief the Committee on this matter on 01 October 2009.

The Committee noted a letter from Rosie Geddis regarding funding for Motor Sports.
Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward a copy of Ms Geddis’ correspondence to the Minister and to ask the Minister to provide comments on two specific areas.

12.31 p.m. The Deputy Chairperson declared the meeting closed to the public.

9. Inquiry into the funding of the arts in Northern Ireland

The Committee considered the draft recommendations for Terms of Reference 1 -3, an issues paper and a summary of oral evidence.

Agreed : The Committee agreed the draft recommendations for Terms of Reference 1 – 3.

10. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted copies of emails sent to contacts in other legislatures regarding the briefing on language strategy which is to take place on 24 September 2009.

The Committee noted anextract from the Minutes of Proceedings of 07 May 2009 agreeing the language strategy briefing session.

11. Any other business

No items were raised.

12. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be on Thursday 24 September 2009 at 10.30 a.m. in Room 152, Parliament Buildings.

The Deputy Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.38 p.m.

Mr David McNarry MLA 
Deputy Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
24 September 2009

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up