Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 17 June 2010

Venue: CULTURLAN, FALLS ROAD, BELFAST

The meeting opened in closed session at 10.30 a.m.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Inquiry into participation in sport and physical activity

The Committee noted the responses from DE and DRD in relation to the bike to work scheme.

The Committee considered the draft report.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Ulster Scots Folk Orchestra.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the correspondence to the Public Accounts Committee for onward transmission to the Northern Ireland Audit Office.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to advise the Ulster Scots Folk Orchestra that it had taken this action.

The meeting moved in to open session at 10.43 a.m.

3. Draft Minutes of 10 June 2010

Agreed: The Committee agreed the minutes of the Committee meeting of 10 June 2010.

4. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the response from the Department on the Strategy for the Disbursement of Cultural Diversity Funding.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department requesting further details on the Strategy for the Disbursement of Cultural Diversity Funding.

The Committee noted the email from the Department in relation to the Sexual Offences (NI) Order 2008.

Mr McCartney joined the meeting at 10.53 a.m.

The Committee noted the response from the Department in relation to funding to support the music sector.

The Committee noted the memo from the Department detailing the breakdown of the £8 million budget for 2010/2011 to implement Sport Matters.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Department requesting a more detailed breakdown of the spend.

The Committee noted the memo from the Department in relation to external advisors.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the paper to the Committee for Finance and Personnel.

The Committee noted the response from the Arts Council and the Committee for the Environment in relation to accessibility of local government owned art.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the information provided by the Arts Council be forwarded to all government departments, all local councils and the ‘ Forum for Local Government and the Arts’.

The Committee noted the responses from Foras na Gaeilge, POBAL and An Fóram Comhphleanála in relation to salaries, running costs, events and projects of the 19 organisations core-funded by Foras na Gaeilge.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to have the correspondence from An Fóram Comhphleanála translated to English.

The Committee noted two tabled emails from Dr Kay Muhr of the Place Name Project.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the details to the Department to ask if it would be willing to sponsor the re-application to Ulster Garden Villages.

5. Briefing from Northern Ireland Screen

The Committee noted the booklet provided by the representatives.

The following representatives joined the meeting:

Mr Richard Williams, Chief Executive – NI Screen

Mr Rick Hill, Chairman – NI Screen

The representatives briefed the Committee. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Mr Mc Clarty left the meeting at 11.34 a.m.

6. Briefing from Cultúrlann McAdams Ó Flaich

Mr Clarke left the meeting at 11.45 a.m.

The following representative joined the meeting:

Eimear Ní Mhathúna- Director of Cultúrlann

The representative briefed the Committee. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Mr Leonard declared an interest as his wife supplies merchandise to the Cultúrlann shop.

Mr Clarke re-joined the meeting at 11.54 a.m.

7. Chairperson’s Business

Members were advised that the Chairperson spoke in the Chamber on behalf of the Committee on Tuesday 15 June regarding NSMC statements in relation to Inland Waterways and the Language Body.

Members were advised that the Chairperson would attend theTopping Out ceremony at the Lyric Theatre on the afternoon of 17 June 2010.

Members were advised that the Chairperson will be attending thePOBAL event “Developing a comprehensive policy and strategy framework for Irish in NI” on Wednesday 23 June 2010 at the Stormont Hotel.

Members were reminded that Ballyholme Primary School will be performing in the Great Hall at 1 pm on Thursday 24 June.

Members were advised that the Chairperson will meet with representatives of the Music Foundation for Northern Ireland in relation to music licensing on Thursday 24 June at 2.30 pm in room 135.

8. Correspondence

The Committee notedthe Clerk’s briefing in relation to the Department’s Business Plan for 2010-2011.

The Committee noted the letter from the Department in relation its Draft Disability Action Plan 2010-2013.

The Committee noted the memo from the Committee for Finance and Personnel on the Review of Data Security in the NI Public Sector.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to forward the report to the Department for comment.

The Committee noted the request from Brassneck Theatre Company to host a production in Parliament Buildings.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Brassneck Theatre Company to decline the invitation for the Committee to host a performance at Parliament Buildings.

The Committee noted the letter from Partisan Productions in relation to its performances at agricultural shows.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to invite Partisan Productions to the next round robin meeting of the Committee to discuss its plans.

The Committee noted that the tabledcorrespondence from the Countryside Alliance in relation to the Wildlife and Natural Environment Bill had been forwarded to the Committee for the Environment.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to hold an informal meeting with the Countryside Alliance to discuss its concerns regarding the Wildlife and Natural Environment Bill.

9. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to hold meetings at Antrim Library and Belmont Tower in the 2010-2011 session.

10. Any Other Business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Northern Ireland Ladies Netball Team in advance of its participation in the World Cup qualifiers in Glasgow.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to send letters of congratulations to the boxers Paddy Barns and Tyrone McCullough on their successes in the European Amateur Boxing Championship in Moscow.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.13 p.m.

Mr. Barry McElduff 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
24 June 2010

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up