Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 15 April 2010

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.33 a.m.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Mr Dominic Bradley and Mr David McNarry thanking them for their work on the Committee.

Mr Robinson joined the meeting at 10.35 a.m.

The Committee noted the registered interests of Mr Billy Leonard, Mr David McClarty and Mr Declan O’Loan.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to reschedule the briefing session with the Department in relation to its draft Museum Policy for the meeting of 29 April 2010.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft minutes of 18 March 2010

Agreed: The draft minutes of the meeting held on 18 March 2010 were agreed.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the response from the Minister in relation to the publication of information regarding the Boards of DCAL’s arms lengths bodies.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to NI Screen in relation to the information available on its website.

The Committee noted the response from Sport NI in relation to the delay in developing a new website.

The Committee noted further correspondence regarding issues raised by Mr Paul Welsh regarding Sport NI and DCAL.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to return to the issues raised by Mr Welsh at the Committee meeting of 29 April 2010.

The Committee noted the responses from DCAL and Sport NI in relation to Sport NI’s budget.

The Committee noted the sample letter which Sport NI sent to sporting organisations in relation to proposed financial cuts.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek urgent clarification from Sport NI in relation to how the proposed cuts would affect its capital budget.

The Committee noted the response from DCAL in relation to the launch of Sport Matters.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department requesting a list of the members who sit on the Sport Matters Monitoring Group.

4. Consideration of DCMS consultation on listed events

The Committee noted the letter from the Irish Football Association (IFA) in relation to the Department of Culture, Media and Sport’s consultation on ‘listed events’.

The Committee noted the Assembly Research Services paper on ‘listed events’.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to ask Research Services for further information on how the devolved governments in Scotland and Wales are responding to this issue.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the IFA and request that it provides the Committee with information on how the income generated from the Sky contract is spent.

5. Inquiry into participation in sport and physical activity in Northern Ireland

The Committee noted the timetable for the completion of the inquiry.

The Committee noted further information provided by the BMA, The Big Lottery Fund, the IFA, the Women’s Centre for Regional Partnership and Skills Active.

Mr McCartney joined the meeting at 10.57 a.m.

The Minister and the following officials joined the meeting:

Mr Nelson McCausland MLA, Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure

Mr Colin Watson, Head of Sports Branch

Ciaran Mee, Sports Branch

Philip Spotswood, Deputy Principal Statistician

The Minister and officials briefed the Committee.

This was followed by a question and answer session.

Mr Aidan Stennett of Assembly Research Services made a presentation to the Committee on the findings from the Stakeholder Event held in the Long Gallery on 25 March 2010 and from Research Services’ discussions with school groups.

6. Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted that the Assembly Commission had approved the inclusion of the townland of Ballymiscaw in the Assembly’s official address.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to issue a press release on this issue.

Members were advised that the Chairperson had attended the following events:

Friday 19 March 2010 – visit to Fintona Library.

Monday 22 March 2010 - conference organised by POBAL on the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages.

Wednesday 24 March – the Northern Ireland Theatre Association annual conference in the Grand Opera House.

Friday 2 April 2010 - ‘Over the Bridge’ production in the Waterfront Hall.

Friday 9 April 2010 - ‘Rock Doves’ in The Craic Theatre, Coalisland.

Members were advised that the Chairperson will attend the 2010 GAA Congress Celebration of the Down All Ireland Teams 1960-1961 at the Slieve Donard Hotel, Newcastle on Friday 16 April 2010.

Members were advised that the Northern Ireland Assembly will have a marquee at the Balmoral Show and that the Committee will have a slot on Wednesday 12 May from 6.00pm – 8.00pm.

7. Correspondence

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Newry Agricultural Society regarding the art competition which is part of its annual show due to be held on Saturday 26 June 2010.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write back to the Society suggesting that it contacts the arts officer in Newry and Mourne District Council and the Arts Council for guidance on possible sources of funding.

The Committee noted the memo from the Committee for the Environment in relation to Road Safety Initiatives by sports organizations.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the letter to the Department as requested and to ask that it be copied into the reply.

The Committee noted the correspondence from Action for Children Northern Ireland to the Finance Minister in relation spending cuts.

The Committee noted the invitation from the Music Foundation Northern Ireland to attend its conference at the Celtic Media Festival in Newry on Thursday 22 April 2010 at 2.30pm. Members were advised that the Chairperson will be attending.

The Committee was advised that a number of publications have been received in the Committee office and are available should Members wish to consult them:

A report entitled ‘Programme for Prosperity - Northern Ireland Independent Retail Trade Association’s Economic Programme for Government’.

The Mary Peters Trust Annual Report for 2008/2009.

A report entitled, ‘Investing in success’ from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

8. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed the forward work programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed for Hansard to cover the briefing sessions with the Department and the Arts Council at next week’s meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek an Assembly Research Services paper regarding eel fishing for next week’s meeting.

9. Any other business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to request his support for the Northern Ireland 2010 Milk Cup Tournament and suggest that the Minister meets with the Milk Cup Committee to discuss funding solutions.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek an Assembly Research Services paper regarding the status of greyhound racing as a sport.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.10 p.m.

Mr Barry McElduff MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
22 April 2010

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up