Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 12 November 2009

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.35 a.m.

1. Apologies

Apologies are detailed above.

2. Draft Minutes of 05 November 2009

Agreed : The draft minutes of the meeting held on 05 November 2009 were agreed.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted a NI Assembly Research Services paper on RTÉ online video streaming.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the paper to the ETI Committee to ask for its comments and advice on taking this issue forward.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to ask Assembly Research Services to investigate further issues regarding the paper.

10.45 a.m. Mr McCartney joined the meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to return to this item later in the meeting.

The Committee noted a response from the Committee for Social Development on proceeds of crime.

11.00 a.m. Lord Browne joined the meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to ask DCAL for details of how it intends to allocate its £87,500 share of the NIO Community Fund.

The Committee noted information from DCAL regarding the funding available to Ulster Scots groups.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek clarification from the Department on a number of issues regarding the paper.

The Committee noted a letter from the Minister regarding the development of the museums policy.

The Committee noted a letter from the Minister regarding funding for stadia development and an email from DCAL regarding the Minister’s attendance at the Committee meeting on 26 November 2009.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to reschedule the session with the Minister on stadia development to a later date.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister for further details in relation to the economic appraisal for stadia development.

The Committee noted the Arts Council’s response to its request to provide background information to the European Culture Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Arts Council to request further details on how it is promoting the Programme.

The Committee returned to the issue of RTÉ online video streaming.

The Chairperson asked Mr D Bradley and Mr Clarke to state their proposals and it was agreed that Mr Clarke’s question be put to the Committee first.

Mr Clarke proposed the following:

That as it has already been agreed to hand the issue to DETI the Committee lets DETI deal with it, and that the member (Dominic Bradley) could write to the Minister for Communications (ROI) in his own capacity as an MLA.

Question put.

The Committee divided: Ayes 4: Noes 6.

AYES

Lord Browne, Mr Clarke, Mr McNarry, Mr Robinson.

NOES

Mr McElduff, Mr D Bradley, Mr PJ Bradley, Mr Brolly, Mr McCarthy, Mr McCartney.

Question accordingly negatived.

Mr D Bradley proposed the following:

That the Committee writes to the Minister for Communications (ROI) to ask that he addresses the issue of the unavailability of RTÉ online video streaming to some viewers in Northern Ireland.

Question put.

The Committee divided. Ayes 6; Noes 4.

AYES

Mr McElduff, Mr D Bradley, Mr PJ Bradley, Mr Brolly, Mr McCarthy, Mr McCartney.

NOES

Lord Browne, Mr Clarke, McNarry, Mr Robinson.

Question put and agreed to.

The Committee noted a response from Sport NI regarding Edendork GAC and the Mary Peters Track.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek clarification from the NIO on the circumstances under which compensation would be available for vandalised property.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward a copy of the Sport NI correspondence to Edendork GAC for information.

The Committee noted a response from the Committee for Employment and Learning on funding for arts courses.

11.25 a.m. Mr. McNarry left the meeting.

The Committee noted an update from DCAL on Creative Youth Partnerships and Community Festivals Fund.

4. Presentation from Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann

The Committee noted a written submissionfrom the organisation.

The following witnesses joined the meeting:

Seamus McCormack, President – Comhaltas

Tomas O’Maoldomhnaigh, National Secretary – Comhaltas

Brendan McAleer, Reactaire Comhaltas Uladh Region

11.29 a.m. Mr McNarry re-joined the meeting.

The Committee took evidence from the witnesses and this was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request further information from the organisation.

12.13 p.m. Mr Brolly left the meeting.

12.18 p.m. Mr D Bradley and Mr PJ Bradley left the meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to ask that it advises the Committee of the outcome of its future meeting with Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann and any funding options which were discussed.

5. Presentation from DCAL officials on the Digital Economy Bill and Video Recordings Bill

The Committee noted a letter from the Minister regarding the Digital Economy Bill and Video Recordings Bill.

The Committee noted a DCAL briefing paper.

12.29 p.m. Mr PJ Bradley re-joined the meeting.

The following witnesses joined the meeting:

Joanna McConway, Head of Arts and Creativity - DCAL

Marian Kelly, DCAL official

The Committee took evidence from the departmental officials and this was followed by a question and answer session.

12.38 p.m. Mr PJ Bradley left the meeting.

12.38 p.m. Mr D Bradley re-joined the meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that it is content with the course of action being proposed by the Department.

6. Discussion on the possibility of a Committee bill on townland names

Agreed: The Committee agreed to commission a research paper on the issues involved before making a decision on how to proceed.

7. Change to museum opening hours

This item was rescheduled for 19 November 2009.

The Committee moved into closed session at 12.42 p.m.

8. Inquiry into the funding of the arts in Northern Ireland

Agreed : The Committee agreed the following sections of the report:

Executive Summary - read and agreed.

List of Recommendations -  read and agreed.

Introduction – read and agreed

Chapter 1– read and agreed, subject to a minor amendment.

Chapter 2– read and agreed, subject to an additional paragraph to be approved by the Chairperson.

Chapter 3– read and agreed.

Chapter 4– read and agreed.

Chapter 5 – read and agreed.

Chapter 6– read and agreed.

Agreed : The Committee agreed that the following papers should be appended to the Committee’s report:

1. Minutes of Proceedings 
2. Minutes of Evidence 
3. List of Written Submissions to the Committee 
4. Written Submissions to the Committee 
5. List of Witnesses Who Gave Evidence to the Committee 
6. List of Research Papers 
7. Research Papers  
8. List of additional information 
9. Additional Information 
10. List of Abbreviations

Agreed: The Committee ordered the report to be printed.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to send embargoed copies of the report to the Minister and to the Arts Council three working days in advance of the plenary debate.

The Chairperson advised membersthat there will be a draft press release for the Committee to consider next week which would be issued the day of the plenary debate.

The Committee moved into open session at 12.55 p.m.

9. Correspondence

The Committee noted amemo from the OFMDFM Committee Clerk on European issues and a response from DCAL.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward a copy of DCAL’s response to the OFMDFM Committee and to ask to be advised if other departments have dedicated officials to deal with European issues.

The Committee noted aletter from Dawn Purvis MLA regarding the NI Theatre Initiative.

12.56 p.m. Mr Clarke left the meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Ms Purvis to advise her of the outcome of its discussions on the initiative that took place at the meeting of 08 October 2009.

The Committee noted aDCAL memo on the Permanent Secretary’s transfer to the Department of Education.

 

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Permanent Secretary to express its best wishes for the future.

The Committee noted amemo from the Committee on Procedures regarding departmental performance on answering written questions.

The Committee noted aletter from Strategic Planning regarding an objection to Invest NI’s funding of a proposed incinerator.

10. Chairperson’s business

The Chairperson advised the Committee that he will be attending the Ulster GAA Club and Volunteer Conference in Armagh City Hall on 14 November 2009.

11. Forward work programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the briefings from SHIP and HMS Caroline on 19 November 2009 should be covered by Hansard.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that the briefing with BBCNI and Radio Foyle staff on proposed efficiency cuts would be rescheduled for January 2010.

12. Any other business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write a letter of congratulations to Paul McCluskey.

13. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be on Thursday 19 November 2009 at 10.30am at the Ulster Museum, Belfast.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 1.03 p.m.

Mr. Barry McElduff MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
19 November 2009

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up