Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 11 March 2010

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.39 a.m.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft minutes of 4 March 2010

Agreed : The draft minutes of the meeting held on 4 March 2010 were agreed.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the responses from Libraries NI in regards to the proposed closure of Ballynahinch library, local studies at Ballynahinch library, the opening of Antrim library and an update on Libraries NI’s cultural heritage brief.

Mr Bradley joined the meeting at 10.42 a.m.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to invite Libraries NI to brief the Committee on its cultural heritage work.

Mr Robinson joined the meeting at 10.43a.m.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to invite Libraries NI to brief the Committee on the proposed closure of Ballynahinch library.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to issue a press release outlining its concerns regarding the proposed closure of Ballynahinch library.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister in relation to the Committee’s request that the Department meets with S.H.I.P representatives.

The Committee noted the response from the Department in relation to the Department for Regional Development’s Roads Miscellaneous Provisions Bill.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the DRD Committee to suggest that Clause 6 of the Bill is re-drafted in such a way as to cover cultural events, including community festivals.

The Committee noted the response from the Department in relation the Committee for the Environment’s endorsement of GAA Road Safety Campaign.

The Committee noted the response from the Ulster Scots Agency in relation to funding for the Milwaukee Irish Fest.

The Committee noted the response from the Arts Council in regards to the William Kennedy Piping Festival and McPeake School of Music.

Mr McCartney left the meeting at 10.53a.m.

Ms McIlveen left the meeting at 10.54a.m.

The Committee noted the committee office memo in regards to the bidding process for the UK City of Culture 2013.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek copies of the bids already submitted by Derry/Londonderry for stages one and two of the competition.

The Committee noted the response from the Department in relation to the Grand Opera House overspend on its 2006 refurbishment and extension.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing with DCAL on this issue at the meeting on 18 March 2010.

4. Inquiry into participation in sport and physical activity in Northern Ireland

The Committee noted the written submission from The Women’s Centre for Regional Partnership.

The following representatives from The Women’s Centre for Regional Partnership joined the meeting:

Ms Louise Coyle, Policy Officer, NI Women’s Rural Network.
Ms Tiziania O’Hara, Women’s Centre Regional Partnership Co-ordinator
Ms Geraldine Compton, Co-ordinator of Waterside Women’s Centre

The representatives briefed the Committee.

This was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed : The representatives agreed to forward further information on a number of issues.

The Committee noted the written submission from Skills Active NI.

The following representatives from the Skills Active NI joined the meeting:

Ms Siobhan Weir, NI Manager
Mr Gerry Kelly, CEO NI Sport & Leisure Member

The representatives briefed the Committee.

This was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed : The representatives agreed to forward further information on a number of issues.

The Committee noted the written submission from NILGA.

The following representatives from the NILGA joined the meeting:

Mr Jim Rose, Director of Leisure Services, Lisburn City Council
Mr Philip Faithfull, Chief Executive, Strabane District Council

The representatives briefed the Committee.

This was followed by a question and answer session.

Members were advised that a video conference evidence session with representatives from the Republic of Ireland and from Finland has been scheduled for 2 p.m. on Tuesday 23 March 2010.

5 Chairperson’s Business

The Chairperson advised that he had organised on behalf of the Committee a short musical interlude at 3 p.m. in the Long Gallery for a young singer called Chloe Coyle from Castlederg.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to provide a lunch of light refreshments for Chloe and her family following the event.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to issue the press release on the musical event.

Members were advised that the Chairperson had been invited to attend a performance of ‘Rain Falling Up’ on Saturday 20 March in the Waterfront Hall.

Members were advised that The Red Bull Formula 1 car will be launched at Stormont Estate on the morning of Saturday 20 March 2010.

Members were advised on procedures around debating committee reports in the Chamber.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Arts Council to seek further details of its ASOP awards for 2010/2011.

Members were advised that the Chairperson, the Deputy Chairperson and the Clerk met with the Minister on Thursday 4 March 2010.

Members were advised that the Chairperson will be attending the following events:

  • A BBC St Patrick ’s Day Concert in the Waterfront Hall, Belfast on Wednesday 17 March;
  • A conference organised by POBAL on the third Monitoring Report on the implementation of the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages in the Europa Hotel, Belfast on Monday 22 March; and
  • An event organised by Down GAA to celebrate the Down All-Ireland teams of 1960 / 1961 in the Slieve Donard Hotel, Newcastle on Friday 16 April.
6. Sport NI funding

The Committee noteda list of sporting organisations which have sent letters to the Committee regarding cuts in funding.

The Committee noted the response from Sport NI in relation to queries raised at the Committee meeting of 25 February 2010.

The Committee noted the memo from the Clerk in relation to the Sport NI budget for 2010/2011.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Sport NI for clarification on its budget for 2010/2011.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to DCAL to seek details on the launch of the Sports Strategy.

7. Townland names

The Committee noted the response from the Department of Education stating that it will use townland names in its official addresses.

8. Correspondence

The Committee noted an email from Mr Welsh of the Newry Reporter in relation to Sport NI funding of the Ulster Camogie Council.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward this correspondence to DCAL and request details into its procedures for dealing with public enquries, and to seek answers to the questions raised by Mr Welsh.

The Committee noted the response from Sport NI in relation to the availability of minutes of board meetings and the register of members’ interests.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write back to Sport NI on this issue, particularly in relation to the delay in developing its website and its understanding of FOI procedures.

The Committee noted a copy of a letter from the Lough Neagh and Lower Bann Advisory Committees to the Minister in relation to the lack of establishment of a navigation authority for Lough Neagh and the re-watering of the Ulster Canal.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request that it is copied into the Department’s response to the letter.

The Committee noted the letter from National Museums Northern Ireland in relation to visitor numbers to the Ulster Museum.

The Committee noted the memo from the Committee for Enterprise, Trade and Investment in relation to the 10 day payment of invoices target.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request performance information from DCAL on this issue.

The Committee noted the letter from Sport NI detailing the policies it is screening under Section 75 Equality Legislation.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Northern Ireland Marine Task Force in regards to the Northern Ireland Marine Bill. The accompanying document on the Bill is available in the Committee office.

The Committee noted that a copy of a report by ‘Audiences Northern Ireland’ is available in the Committee office.

The Committee noted that a copy of ‘The Visual Artists’ news sheet for March/April is available in the Committee office.

9. Forward Work Programme

Members noted the updated Forward Work Programme.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to Hansard coverage of the inquiry evidence sessions with the GAA, Ulster Rugby and the IFA.

The Committee noted the email from Mr Dominic Bradley in relation to holding a Committee meeting at the Cultúrlann on the Falls Road, Belfast.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to hold a meeting at the Cultúrlann at a future date.

10. Any other business

None.

11. Date and time of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 18 March 2010 at 10.30 a.m. in Room 21 in Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.59 p.m.

Mr Barry McElduff MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
18 March 2010

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up