Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 08 October 2009

Venue: SEAN HOLLTWOOD ARTS CENTRE, NEWRY

The meeting opened in public session at 10.37 a.m.

1. Apologies

Apologies are detailed above.

2. Draft Minutes of 01 October 2009

Agreed : The draft minutes of the meeting held on 01 October 2009 were agreed.

3 . Committee Review of DCAL’s management of NI Events Company and its other Arms Length Bodies

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to DCAL on a number of issues regarding its response to the Review and to request an update on the Companies Inspectorate investigation.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request a briefing with DCAL officials to discuss the outstanding issues in relation to the recommendations made in the Review.

4. Discussion on indigenous language strategies in other legislatures

The Committee noted responses from officials from Wales, Dublin and Scotland following the Committee’s meeting of 24 September 2009.

The Committee considered correspondence from the Minister regarding the Committee’s request to preview the Draft Language Strategy high level principles paper.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request a briefing from the Minister or officials in advance of the high level principles paper being presented to the Executive.

5. Consideration of townland names issue

The Committee noted the following:

A Townlands Bill abstract from Mr. Bradley.

Correspondence from the Environment Minister.

Correspondence from the Minister for Culture, Arts and Leisure.

Correspondence from NILGA.

A memo from the Assistant Clerk regarding legislation issues.

Agreed: T he Committee agreed to consider the issue of whether the Committee may wish to bring forward a Townlands Bill at a future meeting. The Clerk agreed to consult with the Bill Office regarding the process, workload and timescales involved in bringing forward a Committee Bill and to report back to the Committee.

6. Consideration of responses on proposals for a NI Theatre Initiative

The Committee noted the responses from stakeholders regarding progress on this matter.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to keep a watching brief on this issue.

7. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the Minister’s response to the concerns of Ms Geddis regarding funding for motor sports.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward a copy of the Minister’s response to Ms Geddis for her information.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding issues raised in September Monitoring.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request a short paper setting out the various bodies under the Department’s control that provide funding to Ulster Scots and the criteria under which such funding is awarded.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to Minister Éamon Ó Cuív to ask him to outline his intentions regarding funding for Foras na Gaeilge.

The Committee noted a response from the MAC regarding a project progress update and gallery space plans.

The Committee noted a response from the Arts Council regarding the MAC’s gallery space provision.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Arts Council to ask for an update on the feasibility study of a gallery of national/regional importance.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Arts Council and the Ulster Museum to request a location list of publically owned art.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Clerk should look into the possibility of moving the Committee meeting of 22 October 2009 to the afternoon, in order that the Committee may attend the re-opening of the Ulster Museum.

8. Chairperson’s Business

The Chairperson advised the Committee that he will be attending Youth Action’s Rainbow Factory School’s anniversary show on 15 October 2009.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that he will be attending the POBAL dinner on Saturday 10 October in the Hilton Hotel at which the Welsh Heritage Minister will be in attendance.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that he received correspondence from a parent regarding the success of Ulster’s Under 16 and Under 18, boys and girls hockey teams, at the inter-provincial championships in Dublin.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write a letter of congratulations to Ulster Hockey.

The Chairperson advised the Committee of a forthcoming invitation which will issue to all members from Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann .

9. Correspondence

The Committee noted a memo from the OFMDFM Committee Office and a summary of the Barroso end of year report as it relates to DCAL.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Arts Council in order to find out more about the status of the ‘Culture’ programmes referred to in the report.

The Committee notedaletter from Mr. McCarthy regarding the Cahoots Theatre Company.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to invite this organisation to the round robin meeting that is planned for December.

The Committee notedmemos regarding the draft Sustainable Development Strategy.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to forward the draft strategy to the Department for its views on how it will affect DCAL.

11.43 a.m. Mr. Robinson left the meeting.

The Committee noted a letter from the Ulster Orchestra regarding education and outreach work.

The Committee noted an invitation to visit the Bunscoil in Newry. The Chairperson suggested that members may wish to visit the school in their capacity as individual MLAs.

11.44 a.m. The Chairperson declared the meeting closed to the public.

10. Inquiry into the funding of the arts in Northern Ireland

The Committee noted revised draft recommendations for Terms of Reference 4 - 7, an issues paper and a summary of oral evidence.

Agreed : The Committee agreed a number of amendments to the draft recommendations for Terms of Reference 4 – 7, to be presented at next week’s meeting.

11. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed : The Committee that next week’s presentation from NIO and Scottish government officials on how the proceeds of crime are spent should be covered by Hansard.

The Committee noted correspondence from the NIO regarding the Sports Law and Spectator Controls Consultation, confirming the evidence session scheduled for 22 October 2009.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request a briefing session with DCAL officials regarding progress made on meeting the Programme for Government targets and the associated Public Service Agreements (PSAs) on Thursday 26 November.

12. Any other business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to move its weekly meeting to Room 21.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Committee Office would investigate the fact that RTE programmes that are streamed live on the Internet are unavailable in Northern Ireland.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the New Point Players to congratulate them on the success of the recent production of “The Field” in Newry Town Hall.

13. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be on Thursday 15 October 2009 at 10.30 a.m. in Room 21, Parliament Buildings, Stormont.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.06 p.m.

Mr. Barry McElduff MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up