Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 07 January 2010

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.36 a.m.

1. Apologies

There were no apologies.

2. Draft Minutes of 10 December 2009

Agreed : The draft minutes of the meeting held on 10 December 2009 were agreed.

Agreed : An emailed version of the agenda and minutes will be issued for future meetings to Committee Members.

10.38 a.m. Mr Robinson joined the meeting .

3. Matters arising

The Committee noted a report of the round robin meeting held on 1 December 2009 and correspondence from the Big Lottery Fund.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that it will arrange a future performance by Cahoots in the Long Gallery.

Agreed : The Committee agreed that it would write to DCAL to seek an update on Good Vibrations’ application for a grant from the event growth fund.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that it would write to DCAL to ask for the Department’s position on the NI Sports Forum’s request that a 100% discretionary rates relief be applied to sports clubs here.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that it would invite Carntogher Community Association and Pobal an Chaistil to a future meeting of the full Committee.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to The Big Lottery to suggest it gives a presentation to all MLAs in the Long Gallery.

The Committee noted a response from DCAL regarding December monitoring issues raised at the meeting on 3 December 2009.

The Committee noted the Minister’s response on stadium development.

The Committee noted a response from the Department regarding stadiums for the World Police and Fire Games 2013.

The Committee noted a response from the Minister regarding the Department’s sports reception.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request a copy of the guest list to enable Members to suggest further sportspeople to be honoured at the reception.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write a letter to the NI Netball Team to congratulate it on its recent success in winning the Six Nations Cup Gold Medal in Singapore.

The Committee noted a response from the Department regarding recognition of Ulster’s young hockey players.

The Committee noted a response from the Department regarding the concerns of Kilkeel anglers about reports of poaching.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to request an update from the Department in 3 months time regarding the work of Fisheries Protection Officers in relation to the progress on tackling the issue of poaching.

The Committee noted a response from the Department regarding a planned meeting with Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann.

The Committee noted a response from the Department regarding the NIO Community Fund.

The Committee noted a response from the Department regarding outstanding Post Project Evaluations.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Department to request an explanation as to why it is unable to locate relevant documentation to allow a post project evaluation to be completed on the PGA Golf Project.

The Committee noted a response from the Department to the Regional Development Committee’s enquiry regarding services to disabled people.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the response from the Department to the Regional Development Committee.

The Committee noted a response from the Department regarding the closure of the Northern Ireland Music Industry Commission.

The Committee noted a response from Ofcom regarding Setanta Hibernia and Setanta Ireland.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to pass on the information provided by Ofcom to constituents as required.

The Committee noted a response from the Western Education and Library Board regarding courses for arts subjects.

The Committee noted a response from the Arts Council NI regarding EU Culture Programme funding.

The Committee noted a response from the Ulster Aviation Society regarding public access to the Ulster Aviation Collection.

The Committee noted a response from the Finance Minister regarding funding of the NI Place-Name Project.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to The Big Lottery to ask if it would be able to assist with additional funding for the NI Place Name Project.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Ulster-Scots Agency enclosing copies of its strategy documents.

10.57 a.m. Mr McNarry joined the meeting .

The Committee noted a response from the Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Investment regarding the NIEC Company Inspection.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the DCAL Minister to ask if he is content with the expenditure involved to date for the Company Inspection of the NI Events Company.

11.01 a.m. Mr Clarke joined the meeting.

The Committee noted a holding letter from the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources regarding the availability of online RTÉ video streaming.

The Committee noted a letter received from the Northern Ireland Office regarding the issue of compensation for criminal damage.

The Committee noted a response from National Museums NI regarding the recent changes to museum opening hours.

4. Chairperson’s Business

The Chairperson referred members to the response he had received from the Minister regarding his statement to the House on 8 December 2009 on the North South Ministerial Council meeting on the Language Body.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs to seek clarification on the implications that its Strategy for the Irish Language 2010-2030 will have on Irish language groups in Northern Ireland.

The Chairperson advised members that the legislative consent motions on the Digital Economy Bill and the Video Recordings Bill would be debated in the House on 11 January 2010 and that he would speak on behalf of the Committee.

The Chairperson reminded members that the Committee had previously discussed the collection of artifacts owned by Professor McCutcheon.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to ask if it is aware of the existence of the collection and what steps it may take to protect it due to potential public interest.

5. Inquiry into participation in sport and physical activity

The Committee noted the Research and Library Services paper on participation in sport and physical activity.

The Committee considered the draft terms of reference.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Clerk would amend the draft terms of reference for further consideration at the next meeting.

6. Public access to art works held in storage

The Committee noted responses from the Arts Council, National Museums NI and local councils regarding art works in their ownership.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to consider a draft press release on this issue at a future meeting, to highlight the Committee’s concerns at the number of public art works held in storage.

The Committee noted the response from the Speaker regarding the Committee’s suggestion that art works loaned from the Arts Council be displayed in Parliament Buildings.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Speaker to make enquiries about the Assembly’s art collection.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Arts Council to seek a list of paintings suitable for display in Parliament Buildings.

11.20 a.m. Ms McIlveen left the meeting .

7. Townland names

The Committee noted a paper from the Clerk setting out possible actions regarding the promotion of townland names.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to all departments, the Assembly Commission and MLAs to ask that they include the townland in their official addresses.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to Dr Brian Turner to advise him of the action the Committee has taken in relation to townland names.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to consider a draft press release in relation to townland names at its next meeting.

8. Correspondence

The Committee noted a letter from the Minister regarding the transfer of funding for local arts to councils under the RPA.

The Committee noted a letter from the Lough Neagh Advisory Committee and Lower Bann Advisory Committee.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that it would write to the Minister to seek his views on the matter.

The Committee noted a letter from Cycling Ulster regarding a proposed change to road racing laws.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that it would forward the letter to Sport NI to ask what assistance Sport NI may be prepared to offer Cycling Ulster in terms of taking this matter forward.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that it would also forward the letter to the Minister for Regional Development for comment.

The Committee noted an email regarding local authors’ ability to be recorded on best-seller lists .

Agreed: The Committee agreed that it would write to the Arts Council in order to ask for the facts of this issue and to advise Mr. McAllister accordingly.

The Committee noted a letter from Ian McCrea MLA regarding correspondence he has received from a constituent in relation to the Plantation of Ulster 1609 stamp.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the letter to Department for comment and to ask what systems it has in place to commemorate notable events.

The Committee noted a letter from the IFA seeking to make a presentation on Football for All.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to invite the IFA its next informal meeting with a range of groups.

9. Forward work programme

The Committee noted a letter from the Minister listing the issues he is taking forward during the period January – March 2010.

Agreed: The Committee agreed its forward work programme.

10. Any other business

Members were advised that a book entitled “The Facts about Irish” is now available for loan in the NI Assembly Library.

11. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be on Thursday 14 January 2010 at 10.30 a.m. in room 21, Parliament Buildings, Stormont.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 11.40 a.m.

Mr. Barry McElduff MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
14 January 2010

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up