Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 03 December 2009

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.37 a.m.

1. Apologies

Apologies are detailed above.

2. Draft Minutes of 26 November 2009

Agreed : The draft minutes of the meeting held on 26 November 2009 were agreed.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted a response from DCAL on the Companies Inspectorate investigation of the Northern Ireland Events Company.

The Committee noted correspondence from DFP regarding the Place Name project at Queen’s.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Finance Minister again regarding this issue, emphasizing the availability of matched funding.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister regarding DCAL’s forecast outturn November 2009 – March 2010.

The Committee noted further information from Research Services on RTÉ online streaming.

The Committee noted a response from National Museums NI regarding the ownership of the Sir Samuel Kelly lifeboat.

10.45 a.m. Mr. Clarke joined the meeting.

4. DCAL briefing on December monitoring

The Committee noted a briefing paper and correspondence from the Department.

The following DCAL officials joined the meeting:

Deborah Brown, Director of Finance and Corporate Services

Arthur Scott, Director of Culture

Colin Watson, Head of Sport and Lottery Branch

10.51 a.m. Mr. McNarry joined the meeting.

The officials briefed the Committee and this was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to follow up on a number of issues.

11.25 a.m. Mr. D. Bradley left the meeting.

5. Sport NI briefing on capital grants for grass roots clubs

The Committee noted a briefing paper from Sport NI.

The following officials joined the meeting:

Nick Harkness, Director of Participation and Facilities

Tracey Smyth, Capital Finance Manager

Ciaran McGurk, Places for Sport Programme Manager

11.32 a.m. Mr. McNarry left the meeting.

The officials briefed the Committee and this was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that Sport NI’s “Bridging the Gap” document would be circulated to all Members.

6. Update from DCAL on the Video Recordings Bill

12.04 p.m. The meeting moved into closed session.

The Clerk briefed the Committee on the update provided by the Department and the Committee agreed that it was content to note the information.

12.08 p.m. The meeting moved into open session.

7. Correspondence

The Committee noted correspondencefromDCAL regarding the business case for a possible navigation authority for Lough Neagh and the Rivers Blackwater and Upper Bann.

12.08 p.m. Mr. McCartney left the meeting.

The Committee noted a letter from JJ Murphy regarding the NI Theatre Initiative.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to Mr. Murphy in order to confirm its position regarding the initiative.

The Committee noted a letter from Paul Sweeney regarding his appointment to the Department of Education.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for Regional Development regarding services to disabled people.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the correspondence to the Department.

The Committee noted correspondence regarding the success of under16 and under 18 Ulster hockey teams.

12.11 p.m. Mr. McCartney rejoined the meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that it would seek information on what the Department is doing to recognise these successes.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Commissioner for Public Appointments regarding the publication of the 14 th Annual Report.

The Committee noted the annual report from Waterways Ireland for 2008.

The Committee noted the reports of the Deputy Keeper of Records at PRONI for 2006/2007, 2007/2008 and 2008/2009.

The Committee noted an invitation to a tree planting ceremony at Stormont on Saturday 5 December 2009.

8. Chairperson’s business

The Chairperson advised the Committee that he will be attending the media launch of “The Evolution of the GAA”, a book by Dónal McAnallen, David Hassan and Roddy Hegarty at the Linen Hall Library, Belfast on Monday 7 December 2009.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Chairperson should issue Christmas cards as Chair of the Committee. Thirty five cards will be sent.

The Chairperson advised members that a round robin meeting was held on Tuesday 1 December 2009 and was attended by the Chairperson, Raymond McCartney, Dominic Bradley and Francie Brolly. A report of the meeting will be discussed at next week’s meeting.

The Chairperson advised Members that the Clerk is currently analysing the list of art works held by the Arts Council and local councils and that a paper will be presented to the Committee on this issue in the new year.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write back to National Museums NI to request a full list of its art works.

9. Forward work programme

The Committee noted the updated Forward Work Programme.

The Committee noted correspondence from DCAL regarding next week’s planned Indigenous Language Strategy briefing which stated that the Minister will not be in a position to brief the Committee next week because a paper has not yet been submitted to the Executive.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that it would request the Minister’s attendance in order that he might update the Committee on the matter.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that it would invite the Ulster Sports Museum for a briefing session next week.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that research papers on possible topics for a sport inquiry and possible approaches to a townland names bill will be discussed at next week’s meeting.

The Chairperson advised members that at next week’s meeting there will be a discussion of possible briefings and visits for the forward work programme for 2010.

10. Any other business

Mr. Robinson raised the issue of the location and plans for the industrial machinery that was previously displayed at the Ulster Museum.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to National Museums Northern Ireland on this matter.

Mr. Robinson raised the issue of recent media reports on depleted salmon stocks in Kilkeel and the effect on anglers.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to investigate where DCAL’s responsibility lies in relation to this matter.

11. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be on Thursday 10 December 2009 at 10.30 a.m. in room 21, Parliament Buildings, Stormont.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.26 p.m.

Mr. Barry McElduff MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
10 December 2009

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up