Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 25 September 2008

Venue: Room 152, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.07 a.m.

1. Apologies

The apologies are detailed above.

2. Draft Minutes of the meeting held on 18 September 2008

The draft minutes of the meeting held on 18 September 2008 were agreed.

3. Matters arising

The Chairperson drew Members’ attention to the transcript of a BBC report on safety at sports grounds, and to the Minister’s correspondence on the issue.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister, and to the Chief Executive of Sport Northern Ireland, seeking clarification on a number of issues.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request information from Research & Library Services on prohibition notices issued to sports grounds.

The Chairperson advised that a response to the Committee’s request regarding the KPMG report was expected from the Department at the start of the week commencing 29 September 2008. The Chairperson advised that procedural guidance did allow for an item to be discussed again by a Committee, so long as notice is given to all members of the Committee of the intention to revisit the previous decision. The Chairperson advised that consideration to request that the full KPMG report be provided to all Committee members would be placed on next week’s agenda.

The Committee noted that the Minister had made two statements in plenary on Tuesday 23 September 2008 regarding the most recent North South Ministerial Council meeting. The statements covered inland waterways and language bodies. The Committee noted that the Minister had also advised of his intentionto come before this Committee with an outline of the progress that has been made on developing a language strategy.

The Committee noted that the Clerk is discussing with the Department the best format to deliver monthly forecast outturn data and a timetable for its delivery.

4. Chairperson’s Business

The Chairperson advised Members that Sports Northern Ireland has undertaken a review of athlete performances at both the Beijing Olympics and Paralympics. The report will be forwarded to the Committee when complete.

The Chairperson advised that the Minister will host an event on Monday 6 October at 7pm in Parliament Buildings, to celebrate the success of local athletes at the Beijing Olympics and Paralympics. An invitation will be issued to all Members.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that t he Chairperson and the Clerk would attend a performance of the play ‘Blackwatch’ in Dublin on Wednesday 1 October 2008. A meeting with representatives from the Scottish National Theatre will be held prior to the play.

The Chairperson drew Members’ attention to the Minister’s announcement regarding the beginning of Northern Ireland’s participation in the four year Cultural Olympiad.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to ask the Department for details on the distribution of its press releases.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to ask the Department for details on which departmental official has responsibility for the co-ordination of the Cultural Olympiad.

5. Inquiry into the Development of a Museums Policy for Northern Ireland

The Committee noted the additional information supplied by the Assembly Research and Library Services, following a briefing to the Committee on Thursday 11 September 2008.

The Clerk briefed Members on the proposed outline plan for the Inquiry.

Agreed: Members agreed to issue additional questions to independent museums due to present oral evidence to the Inquiry.

The Chairperson asked Members to declare any relevant interests in advance of hearing oral evidence.

Mr McElduff declared an interest as a Councillor in Omagh District Council;

Lord Browne declared an interest as a Councillor in Belfast City Council and as a trustee of the Somme Association;

Mr McCarthy declared an interest as a Councillor in Ards Borough Council;

Mr McCausland declared an interest as a Councillor in Belfast City Council;

Mr Ramsey declared an interest as a Councillor in Derry City Council;

Mr Robinson declared an interest as a Councillor in Newtownabbey Borough Council; and

Mr Shannon declared an interest as a Councillor in Ards Borough Council and as a member of the Somme Association.

Oral evidence session with Ards Borough Council

Members took oral evidence from Mr Archie Walls representing Ards Borough Council. A question and answer session followed. The Chairperson thanked the witness for attending.

Hansard recorded the evidence session for publication in the Committee’s report.

Oral evidence session with Mid Antrim Museums Service

Members took oral evidence from Mr William Blair representing the Mid Antrim Museums Service. A question and answer session followed. The Chairperson thanked the witness for attending.

Hansard recorded the evidence session for publication in the Committee’s report.

Oral evidence session with Keep HMS Caroline in Belfast Committee

Members took oral evidence from Mr Frank Robinson, Ms Primrose Wilson and Dr Gordon Millington representing Keep HMS Caroline in Belfast Committee. A question and answer session followed. The Chairperson thanked the witnesses for attending.

Hansard recorded the evidence session for publication in the Committee’s report.

Oral evidence session with Down District Council

Members took oral evidence from Ms Sharon O’Connor and Dr Mike King representing Down District Council. A question and answer session followed. The Chairperson thanked the witnesses for attending.

Hansard recorded the evidence session for publication in the Committee’s report.

6. Committee Response to Budget Inquiry

The Committee considered its submission to the Committee for Finance and Personnel’s Inquiry on the 2007 Budget process.

Agreed: Members agreed that the Clerk would amend the draft response based on the Committee’s discussions, and that a further draft response would be considered at its meeting on Thursday 2 October 2008.

7. Correspondence

The Committee noted the response from the Minister regarding funding for elite facilities and Northern Ireland’s role in providing training facilities for the 2012 Olympics.

The Committee noted the correspondence from Mr James McGlone regarding the rise in the student membership fee at Queens University Physical Education Centre.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the letter to the Vice-Chancellor of Queens University for response. It was agreed to request that the Committeebe copied into the response.

8. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed that Hansard would record the inquiry evidence session.

9. Any Other Business

The Chairperson advised Members that it was Mrs Linda Gregg’s last meeting as Clerk to the Committee. The Committee thanked Mrs Gregg for her professionalism and hard work in assisting the Committee and wished her well in her new role.

12.27 p.m. Mr Ramsey left the meeting 
12.38 p.m. Mr McNarry left the meeting 
12.43 p.m. Lord Browne left the meeting

10. Inquiry into the Development of a Museums Policy for Northern Ireland

12.47 p.m. Mr McCartney left the meeting

Oral evidence session with Newry and Mourne District Council

Members took oral evidence from Ms Noreen Cunningham representing Newry and Mourne District Council. A question and answer session followed. The Chairperson thanked the witness for attending.

Hansard recorded the evidence session for publication in the Committee’s report

11. Date and time of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be on Thursday 2 October 2008 at 10.30 a.m. in the Guildhall, Derry/Londonderry.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.59 p.m.

Mr Barry McElduff MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
2 October 2008

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up