Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 23 April 2009

Venue: Room 152, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.35 a.m.

1. Apologies

The apologies are detailed above.

2. Draft Minutes of 2 April 2009

Agreed: The draft minutes of the meeting of 2 April 2009 were agreed.

3. Matters arising

The Committee noted the response from the Minister regarding the proposed departmental spending plans for 2009/10.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek an update on the spending plans when the Department attends the committee meeting on 2 June 2009 to discuss the June monitoring round.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister on elite facilities and the multi-sports stadium budget.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister for further information on alternative proposals for elite gymnastic facilities and on the tendering process for a velodrome.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister on the budget for safety at sports grounds.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to ask if the budget of £8.4 million under the CSR is sufficient for safety at sports grounds.

The Committee noted the response from Sport NI regarding the Kells to Kells Motorcycle Run.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward Sport NI’s response to the Kells Motorcycle Club.

The Committee noted the response from the PSNI regarding policing powers at football matches.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister on the proposed investment in Swim Ulster.

10.45 a.m. Mr McCausland joined the meeting.

4. Inquiry into the funding of the arts in Northern Ireland

The Committee received a presentation by Ms Meadhbh McCann, Research and Library Services, on European Funding of the Arts and Culture. This was followed by a question and answer session.

The Committee noted the additional information on per capita spend provided by Research and Library Services following the Committee’s meeting on 12 March 2009.

The following representatives from Voluntary Arts Ireland joined the meeting:

Mr Robin Simpson (Chief Executive Voluntary Arts Network)
Ms Brenda Kent (Chief Officer Voluntary Arts Ireland)
Mr Stephen Brown (Chairperson Voluntary Arts Ireland)

11.03 a.m. Mr McCartney left the meeting. 
11.36 a.m. Mr Shannon left the meeting.

The Committee took evidence from the Voluntary Arts Ireland representatives. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to commission a paper from Research and Library Services on the costs associated with the monitoring and auditing processes involved in grant awards to arts organisations.

The following representatives from the Lyric Theatre joined the meeting:

Mr Ciaran McAuley (Executive Director)
Mr Richard Croxford (Artistic Director)
Mr Dan Gordon (Board Member)

The Committee took evidence from the Lyric Theatre representatives. This was followed by a question and answer session.

5. Chairperson’s business

The Chairperson advised that he was participating in a debate entitled “Conflict Transformation through Sport” at the University of Ulster at Jordanstown on 23 April 2009.

The Chairperson advised that the Deputy Chairperson and he were meeting with the Convenor and Deputy Convenor of the Scottish Health and Sport Committee on 27 April 2009.

The Chairperson advised that he would introduce the “Free to Air Sports Coverage” consultation on 6 May 2009, hosted by Northern Ireland Screen in the Long Gallery.

The Chairperson advised that the Deputy Chairperson and he were unable to attend the “Digital Britain” event organized by the Department for Business Enterprise and Regulatory Reform on 23 April 2009.

The Chairperson advised that he had accepted an invitation from the Minister to a reception on 7 May 2009 to mark the 80 th anniversary of the North West 200.

6. Correspondence

The Committee noted the correspondence from Ofcom advising of their efficiency savings.

The Committee noted the copied correspondence from the Right Honourable Lord Pendry to the First Minister regarding the former Chief Executive of the Irish Football Association.

The Committee noted the correspondence from Craft NI enclosing copies of various publications on crafts.

The Committee noted the copied correspondence from the Minster to the Human Rights Commissioner relating to the Report on the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Audit Committee regarding the transition of departments to International Financial Reporting Standards.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek clarification from the Department on how it will implement the standards when it appears before the committee on 2 June 2009.

The Committee noted the correspondence from National Museums NI advising of the consultation on its Draft Corporate Strategy 2009-2012.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Committee for the Environment on a recent briefing from the British Telecom Chief Sustainability Officer.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the correspondence to the Department.

7. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister regarding issues which he will be considering in the coming months.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek further clarification from the Minister on the list of issues.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request Hansard coverage for the evidence session on the arts inquiry on 30 April 2009.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to commence the meeting on 30 April 2009 at 10.00 a.m.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to provide lunch for the children and teachers from Waringstown Primary School following their musical performance in the Great Hall on 30 April 2009.

8. Any other business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to sponsor two information events in the Long Gallery for Foras na Gaeilge.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Abbie Spallen and Seán Ó Morónaigh to congratulate them on their recent drama awards.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to write to National Museums NI for information regarding the recent discovery of ancient artefacts.

12.45 p.m. Mr Ramsey left the meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to National Museums NI to ask for further clarification regarding the proposals for the industrial heritage display in the newly refurbished Ulster Museum and when the Museum will re-open.

9. Date and time of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be on Thursday 30 April 2009 at 10.00 a.m. in Room 152, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.47 p.m.

Mr Barry McElduff MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
30 April 2009

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up