Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 19 February 2009

Venue: Room 152, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in closed session at 10.07 a.m .

1. Apologies

The apologies are detailed above.

10.10 a.m. Mr McCartney joined the meeting. 
10.15 a.m. Mr Shannon joined the meeting.

2. Proposed Statutory Rule – Public Use of the Records (Management & Fees) Rules (NI) 2009

The following officials from the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure joined the meeting:

Mr Alastair Hughes (Head of PRONI Divisional Support Services)

Ms Cecelia McCormick (PRONI)

The officials briefed the Committee on the Department’s proposed Statutory Rule. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure proceeds with the following Statutory Rule:

Public Use of the Records (Management & Fees) Rules (NI) 2009.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to hold a future meeting with PRONI to discuss opportunities for its development and wider engagement with other organizations.

3. Draft Minutes of 12 February 2009

Agreed: The draft minutes of the meeting held on 12 February 2009 were agreed.

4. Matters arising

The Committee noted the response from the Minister regarding support for young people involved in shooting sports.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Sport NI to seek information on how it engages with and encourages youth participation in shooting sports.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister providing further detail on capital projects which will be funded by the Department.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister for information on the professional fees element of the capital projects.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister on the work of the Inter Departmental Charter Implementation Group and on the progress being made towards the publication of the Ulster-Scots Spelling and Pronunciation Guide and Glossary.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to ask for information on the Department of Education’s input to the Inter Departmental Charter Implementation Group.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister regarding the potential for flood risk at the site of the new PRONI Headquarters.

The Committee noted the transcript of the briefing session held on 5 February 2009 on the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

The Chairperson advised that a holding response had been received from Castlereagh Borough Council on the issue of townland names. The Chairperson further advised that the issue of townland names would be dealt with as a substantive item at the meeting on 12 March 2009.

5. Briefing on Safety at Sports Grounds from DCAL/Sport NI

The Committee noted the response from the Minister detailing what safety work is still outstanding at a number of sports grounds.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Irish Football Association to ask if it intends to apply for funding for Windsor Park under the Stadia Safety Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Irish Football Association, Linfield Football Club, and Glentoran Football Club to seek their views on the recent ban on the Boxing Day football match. The Committee also agreed to write to the PSNI regarding its powers in relation to policing matches.

The Committee noted a transcript of the Minister’s interview on Radio Ulster regarding quality and safety of sports grounds in Northern Ireland.

The Committee noted responses from Ulster Rugby and the Irish Football Association regarding safety at sports grounds.

The following officials from the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure and representatives from Sport NI joined the meeting:

Ms Hazel Campbell (Acting Head of Sport, Museums and Recreation)

Mr Ciaran Mee (Sport and Recreation Branch)

Mr Nick Harkness (Sport NI Director of Participation and Facilities)

Mr Paul Scott (Sport NI)

The officials and representatives briefed the Committee on safety at sports grounds. This was followed by a question and answer session.

11.35 a.m. Mr McCarthy joined the meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister and the Department of Finance and Personnel on a range of issues regarding safety at sports grounds.

6. Chairperson’s Business

The Chairperson advised that the Minister will brief the Committee on the multi-sports stadium at the meeting on 26 February 2009.

The Chairperson referred Members to the Clerk’s report of the meeting held with Ofcom on 11 February 2009.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to seek clarification on the issue of local councils being able to hold broadcasting licences.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Ulster Television to ask for an update on proposed staff redundancies.

The Chairperson referred Members to the Clerk’s report of the meeting held with Creative Youth Partnerships on 12 February 2009.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to seek his continued support and funding for Creative Youth Partnerships.

The Chairperson advised that invitations have issued to all Committee Members to the “Score Concert” on 27 February 2009 at the Waterfront Hall.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that he will be hosting a working lunch on 30 March 2009 with the Convenor of the Scottish Committee for Education, Lifelong Learning and Culture.

7. Correspondence

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Arts Council to Mrs Tomaszko regarding the Andersonstown Traditional and Contempory Music School.

The Committee noted the Irish Sports Council’s Review of Ireland’s preparations for and performance in the Beijing 2008 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Sport NI to ascertain what its input is in reviewing the performance of participants from Team GB in the Beijing 2008 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister advising that the Fisheries Conservancy Board will be abolished on 1 June 2009.

8. Inquiry into the Funding of the Arts in Northern Ireland

The Chairperson advised the Committee that the Arts Council will give oral evidence to the inquiry at the meeting on 26 February 2009.

12.45 p.m. Mr McNarry left the meeting.

9. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request Hansard coverage for the briefing with the Minister on the multi-sports stadium and the oral evidence session with the Arts Council.

12.50 p.m. Mr McNarry rejoined the meeting.

10. Any other business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to invite Mr Tim Loane to discuss the issue of local film production at a future meeting.

The issue of the Committee’s remit with regards to general public safety matters was raised. The Clerk agreed to advise further at the next meeting of the Committee.

11. Date and time of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be on Thursday 26 February 2009 at 10.00 a.m. in Room 144, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.53 p.m.

Mr Barry McElduff MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
26 February 2009

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up