Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 07 May 2009

Venue: Room 152, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.37 a.m.

1. Apologies

The apologies are detailed above.

2. Draft minutes of 30 April 2009

Agreed : The draft minutes of the meeting held on 30 April 2009 were agreed.

3. Draft minutes of 5 May 2009

Agreed : The draft minutes of the meeting held on 5 May 2009 were agreed.

4. Matters arising

The Committee noted the response from the Minister advising that discussion on funding for the Creative Youth Partnerships for 2009/10 is still ongoing.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to express concern at the undue delay regarding a decision around the funding for Creative Youth Partnerships for 2009/10.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister regarding the development of links with Scotland.

10.47 a.m. Mr Bradley joined the meeting .

Agreed : The Committee agreed to request from the Department details of any projects, links, partnerships, and funding programmes which it and its arms length bodies are involved with in relation to Scotland.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing session with representatives from Scotland, Wales and the Republic of Ireland on issues relating to indigenous languages, at a later date.

Agreed : The Committee agreed in principle to table a committee motion relating to the possibility of recovered criminal assets being used to support cultural and sporting projects in the community.

The Committee noted a copy of the response from the Department to the Lough Neagh Partnership following their request for a meeting to discuss current and future projects.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Department to ask that it be informed when the business case regarding the viability of establishing a navigation authority for Lough Neagh is completed.

The Committee noted the information provided by the Department detailing its capital projects.

The Committee noted the information from the Department regarding sports funding and sports related employment.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Department to ask for clarification on stadia development expenditure.

The Committee noted the response from Foras na Gaeilge regarding the provision of summer camps in 2009.

The Committee noted the response from the Ulster-Scots Agency regarding materials produced by the Curriculum Development Unit and the development of a language promotion strategy.

The Committee noted correspondence from Mr Steven regarding the development of a sports museum.

The Committee noted the response from Ards Borough Council on townland names.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that the Clerk to the Health and Sport Committee in Scotland has advised that there is not a set percentage of the health budget allocated to sport.

5. Inquiry into the funding of the arts in Northern Ireland

The Committee noted the draft itinerary for the visit to Liverpool on 9-11 June 2009.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that a request has been received from the Community Arts Forum to present oral evidence to the inquiry.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to hear oral evidence from the Community Arts Forum.

Mr McElduff declared an interest as a member of Omagh District Council. 
Lord Browne declared an interest as a member of Belfast City Council. 
Mr McCarthy declared an interest as a member of Ards Borough Council. 
Mr Ramsey declared an interest as a member of Derry City Council and Director of the Millennium Forum.

11.12 a.m. Mr McCausland joined the meeting.

The following representatives from Féile an Phobail joined the meeting:

Mr Sean Paul O’Hare (Director)
Ms Jenny Gillespie (Events Coordinator)
Ms Elsie McLaughlin (Marketing Officer)

The Committee took evidence from the Féile an Phobail representatives. This was followed by a question and answer session. The representatives agreed to forward a number of documents to the Committee.

11.45 a.m. Mr Ramsey left the meeting.

The following representatives from ArtsEkta joined the meeting:

Heather Floyd (Board Member)
Mukesh Sharma (Treasurer)
Nisha Tandon (Development Manager)

The Committee took evidence from the ArtsEkta representatives. This was followed by a question and answer session.

12.10 p.m. Mr McElduff vacated the Chair.
12.10 p.m. Mr McNarry assumed the Chair. 
12.17 p.m. Mr McElduff resumed the Chair.

The following representatives from the Arts Council of Ireland joined the meeting:

Ms Mary Cloake (Director)
Mr Martin Drury (Arts Director)

The Committee took evidence from the Arts Council of Ireland representatives. This was followed by a question and answer session.

12.35 p.m. Mr McCausland left the meeting. 
1.00 p.m. Mr McCartney left the meeting.

6. Correspondence

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Chief Executive of Libraries NI advising of future events in libraries.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to Libraries NI to ask for its views on the voluntary redundancy arrangements for staff.

The Chairperson advised that a copy of Environment Link’s ‘Policy Priorities for Northern Ireland’s Environment’ was available in the Committee Office.

7. Chairperson’s business

The Chairperson advised the Committee that he has accepted an invitation to attend “The Elves and the Shoemaker” by the Banyan Theatre Company on 26 May 2009 as part of the Children’s Festival.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that he has accepted an invitation to attend the launch of the Ulster Orchestra 2009/10 season on 13 May 2009.

The Chairperson referred the Committee to a copy of the transcript of a Talkback item on the Lower Shankill Community Association’s interest in the Irish language.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that he has received correspondence from Bunscoil Phobal Feirste asking for advice on potential sources of funding to supplement Arts Council funding for a project. The Chairperson further advised that he has asked the Clerk to contact Belfast City Council, the Arts Council and Foras na Gaeilge for guidance on funding.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that the Department has recently relocated to new headquarters at Causeway Exchange in Bedford Street, Belfast.

8. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

The Chairperson advised that the Minister’s office has advised that he is unable to brief the Committee on options for developing stadia for the three sporting bodies provisionally scheduled for the meeting on 14 May 2009.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to hear evidence from the Community Arts Forum at its meeting on 14 May 2009. 
Agreed : The Committee agreed to request Hansard coverage for the evidence session on the arts inquiry on 14 May 2009.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that arrangements are being made for the seminar on townland names and requested that Members forward information which may be of use to committee office staff.

9. Any other business

There was no other business.

10. Date and time of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be on Thursday 14 May 2009 at 10.30 a.m. in Room 152, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 1.12 p.m.

Mr Barry McElduff MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
14 May 2009

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up