Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 06 November 2008

Venue: Room 152, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in closed session at 10.06 a.m.

1. Apologies

The apologies are detailed above.

2. Inquiry into the Development of a Museums Policy for Northern Ireland

The Committee noted the additional information supplied by the Minister on the Ulster Museum following his briefing to the Committee on Thursday 23 October 2008.

The Committee considered the framework for its report and discussed its draft recommendations.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule in its forward work programme, a briefing from the Arts Council regarding its proposal for a major art gallery.

The meeting was suspended at 10.44 a.m. for the Assembly’s Annual Service of Remembrance.

The meeting resumed in closed session at 11.17 a.m.

The meeting opened in public session at 11.19 a.m.

3. Further consideration of the Departmental Budget Stocktake Return

Mr McCausland declared an interest as Chair of the Ulster-Scots Community Network (formerly the Ulster - Scots Heritage Council).

The following Departmental officials joined the meeting:

Mr Edgar Jardine (Deputy Secretary)
Ms Linda Wilson (Director of Culture)
Ms Hazel Campbell (Acting Director of Sport, Museums and Recreation)

The officials briefed the Committee on the Department’s return on the Budget Stocktake and its proposals for taking forward an action plan for the Ulster Scots Academy. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Departmental officials agreed to provide further information regarding safety at sports grounds, the budget for elite facilities, and the plans for Ulster-Scots outreach centres.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule in its forward work programme, a briefing on the World Police and Fire Games.

The officials briefed the Committee on the Department’s monthly forecast outturn data for October 2008 – March 2009.

Hansard recorded the evidence session for publication.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that it was not necessary to issue a response to the Committee for Finance and Personnel on the Department’s Budget Stocktake return.

11.27 a.m. Mr Shannon rejoined the meeting. 
11.35 a.m Mr Bradley rejoined the meeting. 
12.01 p.m. Mr McCarthy joined the meeting. 
12.14 p.m. Mr Bradley left the meeting

4. Research briefing on the recruitment and retention of players in Ulster Rugby

Mr Aidan Stennett from the Assembly Research and Library Services briefed the Committee on the recruitment and retention of players in Ulster Rugby. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed : The Committee agreed that the Clerk would liaise with Research Services in respect of further information, including image rights for players.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Minister regarding his views on the recruitment and retention of players in Ulster Rugby.

5. Committee section of the Assembly Commission Annual Report.

Agreed : The Committee agreed the input for the Assembly Commission

Annual Report subject to the correction of a spelling mistake.

6. Draft Minutes of the meeting held on 23 October 2008

The draft minutes of the meeting held on the 23 October 2008 were agreed.

7. Matters Arising
Northern Ireland Events Company

The Chairperson advised Members that the terms of reference for the Committee to scrutinise the role of the Department in its management of the Northern Ireland Events Company and its other arms-length bodies, would be considered at its meeting of 4 December 2008.

Report on Curriculum Development Unit for Ulster Scots

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from the Department on the evaluation of the Curriculum Development Unit for Ulster Scots at Stranmillis, into its forward work programme.

Broadcasting

Agreed : The Committee agreed that Mr Michael Wilson of UTV should present evidence on issues relating to the Ofcom consultation on public service broadcasting and its effect on staffing, at its meeting on 20 November 2008.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Ofcom, noting their disappointment at the decision not to extend the consultation period of its review into public service broadcasting.

12.40 p.m. Mr Ramsey left the meeting.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to request a full response from the Minister on his meeting with UTV and his views on a local broadcasting commission before its meeting on 20 November 2008.

The Committee noted the response from Channel 4 regarding their work on a broadcasting commission.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a presentation from local producers, writers and performance into its forward work programme.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to invite Screen NI to present evidence on the Ofcom consultation on public service broadcasting, at its meeting on 20 November 2008.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to invite the Broadcasting Entertainment Cinematograph and Theatre Union (BECTU) to make a joint presentation with the National Union of Journalists on the Ofcom consultation, at its meeting on 20 November 2008.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the meeting of 20 November 2008 be held in the Senate Chamber.

8. Chairperson’s business

The Committee noted the Clerk’s report on the meeting with the Centre Stage Theatre Company held on Thursday 23 October 2008.

The Chairperson advised that Members had received an invitation to an event relating to Northern Ireland’s participation in the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games on Tuesday 11 November.

The Chairperson drew Members’ attention to an invitation to the Committee to attend the official opening of the World Class Sports Facilities at the University of Ulster on Tuesday 11 November 2008, and advised that he will attend the event.

The Chairperson advised that he had accepted an invitation to speak at the Ofcom public service broadcasting conference on Thursday 13 November 2008.

The Chairperson advised that he would attend the Ulster GAA Club and Community Development Conference on Saturday 15 November 2008.

The Chairperson drew Members’ attention to an invitation to the Committee to attend an exhibition on the development of the Old Museum Arts Centre on Friday 7 November 2008.

The Chairperson drew Members’ attention to an invitation to the Cinemagic 2008 Festival Opening Night Preview on Thursday 13 November 2008.

The Chairperson reminded Members to contact the Committee Office in relation to confirming their attendance figures at meetings.

9. Correspondence

The Committee noted the response from Queens University Belfast in relation to student membership fees at Queens Physical Education Centre.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to invite ‘Sticky Fingers Arts for Young People’ to an informal Committee meeting with various groups to be arranged for December.

10. Forward Work Plan

The Committee noted its forward work plan.

11. Date and time of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be on Thursday 13 November 2008 at 10.30 am in Room 152.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.50 p.m.

Mr Barry McElduff MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
13 November 2008

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up