Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 02 April 2009

Venue: Room 152, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.35 p.m.

1. Apologies

The apologies are detailed above.

2. Discussion of correspondence relating to the arts inquiry

The Committee noted the correspondence from Mr Will Chamberlain, Belfast Community Circus School, providing additional information following his briefing to the Committee on 26 March 2009.

10.40 a.m. Mr McCausland joined the meeting.
10.41 a.m. Mr Shannon joined the meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Arts Council to seek clarification on production of statistics for funding to deprived Super Output Areas.

10.45 a.m. Mr McCartney joined the meeting.

3. Presentation from Research & Library Services on “Sports Related Employment”

The Committee received a presentation by Miss Meadhbh McCann, Research and Library Services on “Sports Related Employment”. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed: Miss McCann agreed to come back to the Committee on a number of issues.

4. Inquiry into the funding of the arts in Northern Ireland

The Committee noted the Research and Library Services paper on Business in the Arts.

The Committee noted the paper on suggestions for potential visits.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to visit Liverpool as part of the inquiry into the funding of the arts.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request oral evidence from the Arts Council of Ireland, Mid Armagh Community Network, Ulster-Scots Community Network and Féile an Phobail.

The Committee noted the response from the Arts Council on the selection of art works for hospitals and health care facilities.

Mr McElduff declared an interest as a member of Omagh District Council.
Lord Browne declared an interest as a member of Belfast City Council. 
Mr McCarthy declared an interest as a member of Ards Borough Council. 
Mr McCausland declared an interest as member of Belfast City Council, Belfast Education and Library Board, and the Ulster-Scots Community Network. 
Mr Ramsey declared an interest as a member of Derry City Council and Director of the Millennium Forum. 
Mr Shannon declared an interest as a member of Ards Borough Council.

The following representatives from Arts and Business Northern Ireland joined the meeting:

Ms Mary Trainor (Director)
Ms Lesley Wake (Director of Operations)
Ms Joanne South (Research Manager)

The representatives briefed the Committee. This was followed by a question and answer session.

11.32 a.m. Mr Bradley joined the meeting.
12.05 p.m. Mr Ramsey left the meeting.

The representatives from Arts and Business Northern Ireland agreed to forward further details of its membership.

The following representatives from the Forum for Local Government and the Arts joined the meeting:

Ms Noelle McAlinden (Chairperson)
Mr Mac Pollock (Vice Chairperson)
Mr Malcolm Murchinson (Arts Manager, Flowerfield Arts Centre, Portstewart)

12.26 p.m. Mr McCausland left the meeting.

The representatives briefed the Committee. This was followed by a question and answer session.

5. Follow up on Committee Report into the development of a museums policy

The Committee considered the response from the Minister on the development of a museums policy.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek an update from the Minister in mid-June 2009 on the development of a museums policy.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to ask for clarification on the role the Northern Ireland Museums Council in the production of the policy.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to seek details on the timescale for the production of the policy.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to ask for details of who would draft the policy and at what cost to the Department.

6. Draft Minutes of 26 March 2009

Agreed: The draft minutes of the meeting held on 26 March 2009 were agreed.

7. Draft Minutes of 31 March 2009

Agreed: The draft minutes of the meeting held on 31 March 2009 were agreed.

8. Matters arising

The Committee noted the response from the Minister confirming that Foras na Gaeilge and the Ulster-Scots Agency have separate disability action plans in place.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister on the plans to develop a swimming strategy.

The Committee noted the response from Sport NI advising that pending confirmation from the Department, it will be making an award to Swim Ulster in respect of its development plan.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to ask when the Department will be confirming funding with Sport NI in relation to funding for Swim Ulster, and for details of the level of funding being proposed.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister for Finance and Personnel on the transfer of monies within the Investment Strategy NI.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that a letter had issued to the Minister requesting details of the Department’s proposed spending plans for 2009/2010.

The Committee noted the correspondence from Mr Steven on the provision of a sports museum.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Mr Steven to advise him of the Minister’s response regarding the Committee’s recommendation that a sports museums should be considered in the development of a museums policy for Northern Ireland.

The Committee noted the response from the Irish Football Association on the recent disciplinary action imposed on Linfield and Glentoran Football Clubs.

9. Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted the summary report of issues being considered by committees in other legislatures.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that he, the Deputy Chairperson and Mr McCausland met with the Convenor of the Scottish Committee for Education, Lifelong Learning and Culture on Monday 30 March 2009 to discuss committee issues of mutual interest.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to ask him to consider an East/West language project.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that he has accepted an invitation from the Lyric Drama Studio to attend a performance of ‘X6’ at the Brian Friel Theatre on 10 April 2009.

The Chairperson advised that the Examiner of Statutory Rules has no concerns with the Public Use of Records (Management and Fees) Rules ( Northern Ireland) 2009.

The Chairperson advised that copies of presentations made at the Belfast City Council conference “Participate – Harnessing Cultural Value in Tough Economic Times” had been issued to Members.

The Chairperson advised that the committee office has provided information in response to a Freedom of Information request on safety at sports grounds.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that he would be attending 2 plays at the Mid Ulster Drama Festival.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that he would be attending ‘Music and the Mill’, part of the North West Festival, in the Alley Theatre Strabane on 3 April 2009.

10. Correspondence

The Committee noted the response from Ballymoney Borough Council regarding the promotion of townland names.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister advising that the Commencement Order to abolish the Fisheries Conservancy Board will come into operation on 1 June 2009.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the letter to interested parties to advise them that the Fisheries Conservancy Board will be abolished on 1 June 2009.

The Committee noted the correspondence from Ballymena Borough Council commending the Committee on its work on the inquiry into the development of a museums policy.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister regarding the outcome of discussions between the Department and the Department of Education on the issue of clause 43 of the Education Bill.

11. Forward Work Programme

The Committee considered the draft Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to host a seminar on townland names in the Long Gallery, Parliament Buildings.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to hold a meeting at the University of Ulster, Jordanstown and receive a briefing from Sport NI on participation in sport.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to have meetings with the Minister to seek updates on proposals for stadia development and for a language strategy.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to receive an update on safety at sports grounds, a briefing on June monitoring, a briefing on the proposed byelaws for Waterways Ireland and to host a performance by Waringstown Primary School.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to take all oral evidence relating to the arts inquiry before summer recess.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request Hansard coverage for the oral evidence sessions with Voluntary Arts Ireland and the Lyric Theatre on 23 April 2009.

12. Any other business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Northern Ireland Football Team to congratulate them on their success to date in the world cup qualifying rounds.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Irish Football Association to commend them on the premiere of the new film “The Green and White Army: The Fans’ Story.”

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Amalgamation of Official Northern Ireland Supporters Club to commend them on the production of the new film “The Green and White Army: The Fans’ Story.” The Committee agreed to seek a copy of the DVD.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Foras na Gaeilge to ask whether this year’s Irish language summer camps will take place.

13. Date and time of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be on Thursday 23 April 2009 at 10.30 a.m. in Room 152, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.58 p.m.

Mr Barry McElduff MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
23 April 2009

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up