Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 24 April 2008

Venue: Room 152, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened at 10.34 a.m. in public session

1. Apologies

Lord Browne MLA

Mr Robinson joined the meeting at 10.35 a.m. 
Mr McCausland joined the meeting at 10.35 a.m.

2. Draft Minutes of the meeting held on 17 April 2008

The draft minutes of the meeting held on 10 April 2008 were agreed.

3. Matters arising

There were no matters arising.

4. Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted a request from the Minister to sponsor a number of forthcoming events in Parliament Buildings.

Agreed – the Committee agreed that the Chairperson and the Deputy Chairperson should sponsor the Ministerial dinner for the UK Sports Ministers in May 2008, the Irish Women’s Bowling Association event in June 2008 and a dinner for Lurgan Ladies Hockey Club/Soweto Rugby Team in August 2008.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that he would be meeting with the Chair of the Joint Committee on Arts, Sport, Tourism, Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs on 21 May 2008 in Leister House, Dublin. He advised that the purpose of the meeting was to discuss issues of mutual interest to the Committees.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that he would be attending a meeting with the Convenors of the Committees for Health and Sport and Lifelong Learning, Education and Culture in the Scottish Parliament in June 2008.

Mr Shannon joined the meeting at 10.40 a.m.

5. Briefing from the Public Records Office Northern Ireland (PRONI)

The following representatives from the Public Records Office Northern Ireland joined the meeting:

Ms Marie Garvey (Acting Head of Administration)
Ms Aileen McClintock (Acting Head of Profession)

The representatives briefed the Committee on the Public Records Office Northern Ireland. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Mr McNarry left the meeting at 11.00 a.m. 
Mr Shannon left the meeting at 11.02 a.m. 
Mr McNarry rejoined the meeting at 11.05 a.m. 
Mr Shannon rejoined the meeting at 11.21 a.m.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to accept the invitation from PRONI to visit its premises.

Mr Ramsey left the meeting at 11.25 a.m.

6. Presentation from the Blackwater Regional Partnership on the Ulster Canal.

The following representatives from the Blackwater Regional Partnership joined the meeting:

Mr Ian Frazer (Director of Development for Dungannon and South Tyrone Council)
Councillor Sean Conlon (Chair of Blackwater Regional Partnership)
Ms Julie McClean (PricewaterhouseCoopers)
Mr Neil McCullough (PricewaterhouseCoopers)

The representatives briefed the Committee on the Blackwater Regional Partnership. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Mr McCausland left the meeting at 11.45 a.m. 
Mr McCausland rejoined the meeting at 11.48 a.m. 
Mr Shannon left the meeting at 12.12 p.m. 
Mr Bradley left the meeting at 12.20 p.m. 
Mr McNarry left the meeting at 12.24 p.m. 
Mr McNarry rejoined the meeting at 12.30 p.m. 
Mr Brolly left the meeting at 12.34 p.m.

7. Forward Work Programme
The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed – the Committee agreed that there should be Hansard coverage for the meeting with the Minister, Sport NI and the Arts Council of Northern Ireland on 29 April 2008.
Agreed – the Committee agreed that there was no requirement for Hansard coverage for the meeting on 1 May 2008.
Agreed – the Committee agreed to add Gymnastics NI to the Forward Work Programme on 15 May 2008.
Agreed – the Committee agreed to add OFCOM to the Forward Work Programme on 29 May 2008.
Agreed – the Committee agreed to provide lunch for NI Karate-Do Wado Kai following their demonstration on 15 May 2008.
Agreed – the Committee agreed to add Brandywell Properties Trust Ltd to the Forward Work Programme on 22 May 2008.
Agreed – the Committee agreed to add a meeting at the Ulster Folk Museum on 26 June 2008 to the Forward Work Programme.

8. Correspondence

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 16 April 2008 from OFMDFM on the Maze/Long Kesh outline business case.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to the Minister to ask how the redevelopment plans which were recently unveiled for Ravenhill Stadium, fits within the context of the proposed multi-sports stadium.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to wait until the Department responds directly to the Committee on the Maze/Long Kesh business case.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 17 April 2008 from the Minister on the development of a museums policy.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to pursue the development of a museums policy with the Minister when he attends the Committee meeting on 29 April 2008.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 18 April 2008 from the Arts Council of Northern Ireland on the response to the Playhouse Theatre on the Annual Support for Organisations Programme.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that a copy of the Strategic Plan 2008-11 for the Centre for Ageing Research and Development in Ireland has been received in the Committee Office.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 10 April 2008 from CCEA on the decision to remove musical traditions in Ireland from the curriculum.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 21 April 2008 from the Arts Council of Northern Ireland on funding issues.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to ask the Arts Council of Northern Ireland to include the funding position of the Ulster-Scots Folk Orchestra and its Youth Orchestra on the list of issues to be discussed at the meeting on 29 April 2008.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 7 April 2008 from the Ulster Wildlife Trust on the launch of the Northern Ireland Marine Protected Areas Project Report.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 22 April 2008 from Equality 2000 on the launch of a DVD in response to its involvement in the Bill of Rights for Northern Ireland.

9. Any other business

The Chairperson advised the Committee that the Consideration Stage of the Libraries Bill is scheduled for 6 May 2008.

10. Date and time of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be on Tuesday 29 April 2008 at 1.30 p.m. in Room 135. This regular Committee meeting will be on Thursday 1 May 2008 at 10.30 a.m. in Room 152.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.54 p.m.

MR BARRY MCELDUFF MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
1 May 2008

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up