Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 19 June 2008

Venue: Room 152, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.05 am.

1. Apologies

There were no apologies.

2. Draft Minutes of the meeting held on 12 June 2008

The draft minutes of the meeting held on 12 June 2008 were agreed.

3. Matters arising

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 18 June 2008 from the Press Office on media monitoring services.

The Chairperson reported that following a request by the Committee to the Minister to discuss the Northern Ireland Events Company, the Minister has agreed to discuss this issue with the Chairperson and Deputy Chairperson when he meets with them on 19 June 2008.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to request the attendance of the Minister at a Committee meeting after summer recess to discuss the Northern Ireland Events Company.

4. Accounting Officer’s Report on the Proposed Multi-Sports Stadium

Mr Paul Sweeney, Permanent Secretary Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure joined the meeting. Mr Sweeney briefed the Committee on the economic case for the proposed multi-sports stadium. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Mr Shannon joined the meeting at 10.20 am.
Mr McCausland left them meeting at 10.30 am.
Lord Browne joined the meeting at 10.47 am.
Mr Robinson joined the meeting at 11.24 am.
Mr McNarry left the meeting at 11.42 am.

5. Briefing from Climate Change Coalition Northern Ireland

The following representatives from Climate Change Coalition Northern Ireland joined the meeting:

Ms Sue Christie (Northern Ireland Environment Link)

Mr Lawrence McBride (Trocaire)

Mr Gary McFarlane (Chartered Institute of Public Health)

The representatives briefed the Committee on Climate Change Coalition Northern Ireland. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Mr Shannon left the meeting at 12.20 pm.
Mr Shannon rejoined the meeting at 12.24 pm.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to the Minister to ask what the Department are doing in relation to energy efficiency within its own area and also within the capital projects which it funds.

6. Briefing from Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB)

The following representatives from RNIB joined the meeting:

Mr Barry MacAulay (Senior Manager RNIB)

Mr David Bowen (Sports Development Manager RNIB)

The representatives briefed the committee on RNIB. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Mr McCarthy left the meeting at 12.28 pm.
Mr Bradley left the meeting at 12.30 pm.
Mr McNarry rejoined the meeting at 12.44 pm.

7. Date and time of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be Thursday 26 June 2008 at 10.30 am in Cultra Manor, the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 1.00 pm.

MR BARRY MCELDUFF MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
26 June 2008

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up