Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 17 January 2008

Venue: Room 152, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened at 10.34am in public session.

Mr McCausland joined the meeting at 10.36am

1. Draft Minutes of the meeting held on 10 January 2008

Agreed – the draft minutes were agreed.

2. Matters Arising

The Chair advised members that the Chair of the Project Steering Group has not yet replied to the Committee’s request for further details of why it was not possible to continue with Phase 2 of the VALCAL study.

The Chair advised members that representatives from the Oh Yeah project will give a presentation to the Committee at the meeting of 21 February.

The Chair advised members that legal advice is being sought as to who has ownership of documents when a commissioning exercise such as the one between PriceWaterhouse Coopers and the Department is formalised.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to the Gaelic Athletic Association and the Community Relations Council to ascertain if they would have any objections to PriceWaterhouseCoopers releasing the notes of interviews regarding the proposed Multi Sports Stadium carried out with representatives of their respective organisations to the Committee.

Agreed – the Committee also agreed to ask the Gaelic Athletic Association and the Community Relations Council if the organisations possessed copies of the interview notes, and if so, would they be willing to forward them directly to the Committee.

Mr Robinson joined the meeting at 10.43am.

The following witness attended:

Mr Iain Greenaway (Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure)

The Chair referred members to correspondence from the Office of the First Minister and Deputy First Minister relating to the Statutory Rule to transfer the Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland (OSNI) from the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure to the Department of Finance and Personnel to enable it to become part of the Land and Property services Agency of the latter Department.

The Chair referred members to a letter from NIPSA to the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure regarding membership’s concerns over the transfer of function.

The Chair referred members to the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure response to NIPSA.

Mr Greenway answered questions raised in relation to the SL1 Transfer of Functions Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure to request details of how the transfer of function and related finances will impact upon the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure budget.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to defer further discussion until the Department of Culture, Art and Leisure’s response is received.

The Chair advised members that the Multi-sport Stadium Business Plan is still under consideration by the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure. The Business Case can be issued to the Committee after it has been received by the Minister of the Department of Finance and Personnel.

The chair referred members to the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure’s response regarding the HOK Sport briefing that was to have taken place on 13 December.

The Chair advised members of the make-up of the Capital Programme Management Board and the frequency of the Board’s meetings.

The Chair referred members to the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure’s response to Conor Murphy MP MLA.

3. Chairperson’s business

The Chair referred members to a copy of the Belfast Circus School’s submission to the Draft budget.

The Chair referred members to a copy of the Royal College of Psychiatrists response to the Draft Programme for Government.

The Chair referred members to a copy of correspondence from Portstewart Vision to Ms Arlene Foster, Minister of the Environment setting out its concerns over the loss of community and community balance in towns along the North Coast.

The chair referred members to correspondence from the Committee for Social Development seeking written submission on the Charities Bill.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to forward the letter from the Committee for Social Development to the Minister of Culture, Art and Leisure.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to request that the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure copy his response to the Committee.

The Chair advised members that he and the Deputy chair have agreed to meet with Mr Michael Donnelly on 14 February 2008 to have a general discussion on Maze/Long Kesh. Mr Donnelly represents Estates Gazette, a magazine that provides inside-track commercial property developments.

The Chair advised members that he is meeting informally this afternoon with Mr J J Murphy and Mr D McFarlane to discuss the NI Theatre Initiative.

4. Libraries Bill (NIA 5/07)

The following witnesses attended:
Ms Julie Mapstone (Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure)
Ms Irene Armstrong (Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure)
Mr Noel Kelly (Departmental Solicitors Office)

Mr Martin Wilson, Principle Clerk, briefed members on the work completed to date on the Libraries Bill. He indicated that all clauses with the exception of clause 2 had been agreed by the Committee but that the four schedules had yet to be agreed.

The Committee noted that the NIPSA reply to its letter dated 10 January 2008 had been received after the deadline set by the Committee.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to continue with the clause by clause reading of the Bill.

The Chair referred members to correspondence of 14 January 2008 from the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure setting out proposed amendments to the Bill.

Agreed – the Committee agreed that the words “comprehensive and efficient” should be reinstated into Clause 2 (1) by an amendment as proposed by the Department in its letter of 14 January 2008.

Agreed – that Clause 2, paragraph 2 (2) (b) should include a new sub-paragraph (vi) requiring the Authority to create a collection of material culturally specific to Northern Ireland by an amendment as proposed by Departmental officials during the meeting.

Agreed - that Clause 2 as amended should stand part of the Bill.

Schedule 1: the Northern Ireland Library Authority

Agreed – that paragraph 2(1) should be amended as proposed by the Department in its letter of 14 January 2008.
Agreed – that paragraph 2(2) should be amended as proposed by the Department in its letter of 14 January 2008.
Agreed – that paragraph 6 should be omitted as agreed by the Department in its letter of 14 January 2008.
Agreed - that Schedule 1 as amended should stand part of the Bill.

Schedule 2: Transfer Schemes

Agreed - that Schedule 2 as drafted should stand part of the Bill.

Schedule 3: Amendments

Agreed - that Schedule 3 as amended should stand part of the Bill.

Schedule 4: Repeals

Agreed - that Schedule 4 as drafted should stand part of the Bill.

Mr McNarry joined the meeting at 11.20am 
Mr McCausland left the meeting at 11.21am 
Mr McCausland rejoined the meeting at 11.23am

5. Presentation on the Organisational Structures of the Northern Ireland Library Authority

The following officials were in attendance.

Ms Irene Knox (Chief Executive designate of the Northern Ireland Library Authority)

Ms Julie Mapstone (Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure)

The Chair referred members to a copy of the presentation paper on the proposed organisational structures of the Northern Ireland Authority.

Ms Knox briefed the Committee on the proposed organisational structures of the Northern Ireland Authority.

This was followed by a question and answer session.

Mr McNarry left the meeting at 11.40am 
Mr McNarry rejoined the meeting at 11.44am

6. Presentation from the Office of the Official Report (Hansard)

The following Officials from the Office of the Official Report joined the meeting:
Mr Simon Burrows, Editor of Debates
Ms Aoibhinn Treanor, Deputy Editor

Mr Burrows briefed the Committee on the work of Hansard.

This was followed by a question and answer session.

Mr Bradley left the meeting at 12.01pm 
Mr McCausland left the meeting at 12.20pm 
Mr McNarry left the meeting at 12.31pm 
Mr Robinson left the meeting at 12.31pm 
Mr Robinson rejoined the meeting at 12.32pm 
Mr McCausland rejoined the meeting at 12.36pm 
Mr Bradley rejoined the meeting at 12.36pm

7. Departmental Briefing on the Transfer of the functions of the Northern Ireland Museums Council (NIMC) to Local and Central Government

The following representatives from Sport, Museum and Recreation Division and the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure Museums Branch joined the meeting.

Ms Alison McQueen (Acting director of Sport, Museum and Recreation Division)

Mr Colin Watson (Head of the Department’s Museums Branch)

The Chair referred members to a briefing paper from the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure on the transfer of functions of the Northern Ireland Museums Council.

Mr Watson briefed the Committee on the transfer of functions of the Northern Ireland Museums Council to local and central government.

This was followed by a question and answer session.

8. Briefing from the Northern Ireland Museums Council

The following representatives from the Northern Ireland Museums Council joined the meeting:
Mr Chris Bailey (Chief Executive)
Mr Lexie Scott (Chairperson)

The Chair referred members to correspondence received from the Northern Ireland Museums Council in May 2007 setting out the Council’s concerns over the transfer of functions from central to local government.

Mr Bailey briefed the Committee on the role of the Northern Ireland Museums Council and on the concerns that the Council have in relation to the proposed transfer of functions to local and central government.

This was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure expressing their support for the Northern Ireland Museums Council.

Mr McCausland left the meeting at 12.55pm

9. Research Services Paper on the Disbandment of the Fisheries Conservatory Board

The Chair referred members to a research paper on the Fisheries Conservancy Board.

10. Forward Work Programme

The Chair referred members to the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed – the Committee to receive a presentation from Mr Drew McFarlane from Equity.

11. Correspondence

The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure on photographic fishing licences.

The Chair referred members to the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure response concerning funding for Sport and Physical Recreation.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure to request details of the basis on which the financial estimates for the draft Northern Ireland Strategy for Sport and Physical Recreation 2007 -2017 were calculated.

The Chair referred members to the Irish Rugby Football Union’s response in relation to the health benefits of modernisation programmes.

The Chair referred members to the Gaelic Athletic Association’s response in relation to the health benefits of modernisation programmes.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to the Irish Football Association requesting a response to their letter concerning the health benefits of modernisation.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to defer consideration of the Irish Rugby Football Union and Gaelic Athletic Association responses until the Irish Football Association response is received.

The Chair referred members to correspondence from the Office of the First Minister and Deputy First Minister in relation to an Arts for Older People report ‘The View from the Hill.’

Agreed – the Committee agreed to forward the Draft Action Plan 2008-2011 for the Regional Innovation Strategy (Department of Enterprise, Trade and Investment) to the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to request that the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure copy his response to the Committee of Enterprise, trade and Industry to this Committee.

12. Any Other Business

Agreed – the Committee agreed to invite representatives from the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure to the meeting on 24 January to brief them on the Final Draft Budget.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to ask the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure to brief it regarding the Department’s final input on the Draft Budget.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to copy correspondence from the Belfast Education and Library Board and the Western Education and Library Board highlighting the Boards’ concerns over the Draft Budget on local libraries to the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure.

Mr Shannon left the meeting at 1.15pm

Agreed – the Committee agreed to hold a special meeting on Tuesday 22 January 2008 with representatives from the Education and Library Boards to discuss funding for local libraries in the incoming financial year.

13. Date and time of next meeting

Agreed: The Committee agreed to hold its next meeting on Thursday 24 January 2008 at 10.30am in Room 152, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 1.16pm.

Mr Barry McElduff MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
17 January 2008

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up