Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Thursday, 03 April 2008

Venue: Room 152, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened at 10.34 a.m. in public session.

1. Apologies

Apologies as detailed above.

2. Draft minutes of the meeting held on 13 March 2008

The draft minutes of the meeting held on 13 March 2008 were agreed.

Mr McCausland joined the meeting at 10.38 a.m.
Mr Shannon joined the meeting at 10.38 a.m.

3. Matters arising

The Committee noted the response dated 6 March 2008 from the Northern Ireland Human Rights Commission on the Committee’s request for a copy of the Secretary of State’s letter on proposals for the Irish Language Act.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 20 March 2008 from the Armagh Observatory following the visit by the Committee on 13 March 2008.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to request the attendance of Departmental officials to the meeting on 10 April 2008 to seek an update on the funding issues raised by the Armagh Observatory.

Mr Shannon updated the Committee on his attendance as a representative of the Committee at the Ulster Wildlife Trust Stakeholders Workshop on 27 March 2008.

4. Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 13 March 2008 from the Playhouse Theatre to the Arts Council on their concerns about funding.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to the Arts Council to ask for a copy of its response to the Playhouse Theatre.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to the Arts Council to request details on where within the arts funding cutbacks will impact.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to request Assembly Research Service to compile information on where arts funding cutbacks have been made and what effect this is having on arts organisations.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to request Assembly Research Service to compile recent newspaper articles in the Irish Times on “The Arts and Health”.

The Committee noted an invitation to the Chairperson from the Greater Shantallow Community Arts, inviting him to visit the project.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to request that the invitation from the Greater Shantallow Community Arts is extended to all members of the Committee.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to add a visit to the Millennium Forum and other art projects in the area to the Forward Work Programme.

The Committee noted correspondence dated 13 March 2008 from Fermanagh District Council to the Minister relating to the Northern Ireland Museums Council.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to the Department to seek clarification on which functions of the Northern Ireland Museums Council will transfer to local authorities.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to meet with Roisin McDonough, Chief Executive of the Arts Council on Thursday 17 April 2008 to receive a presentation on the review of drama which was undertaken by Scottish Cultural Enterprise and to discuss drama generally within the region.

The Committee noted correspondence dated 28 March 2008 from Mr Alan R Scott which will form part of the presentation by NI Music Rights Society and Blue Piano Publications on 17 April 2008.

5. Response from Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA), the Irish Football Association (IFA) and Ulster Rugby in relation to the request for their attendance at the Committee meeting on 3 April 2008.

The Committee noted the response dated 26 March 2008 from the GAA, IFA and Ulster Rugby on the reasons for non attendance at the Committee meeting.

Mr McCarthy proposed the following:

That this Committee notes the letter from the GAA, IFA and Ulster Rugby.

Question put.

The Committee divided: Ayes 4; Noes 4

AYES

Barry McElduff, Dominic Bradley, Raymond McCartney, Kieran McCarthy

NOES

Lord Browne, Nelson McCausland, David McNarry, Jim Shannon

The question accordingly negatived.

Mr McCausland proposed the following:

That this Committee write to the GAA, IFA and Ulster Rugby expressing disappointment that the letter issued to the Committee was in the public domain prior to the Committee having sight of it and that an IFA official spoke to the media on the content.

Question put.

The Committee divided: Ayes 4; Noes 4

AYES

Lord Browne, Nelson McCausland, David McNarry, Jim Shannon

NOES

Barry McElduff, Dominic Bradley, Raymond McCartney, Kieran McCarthy

The question accordingly negatived.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to await the outcome of the Department of Finance and Personnel’s decision on the Business Plan.

Mr McCarthy left the meeting at 12.14 p.m. 
Mr McCartney left the meeting at 12.14 p.m.

6. Consideration of “Salmon and Inland Fisheries Stakeholder Forum Consultation”

Mr McCartney returned to the meeting at 12.16 p.m. 
Mr Bradley left the meeting at 12.17 p.m.

The Committee discussed the Salmon and Inland Fisheries Stakeholder Forum Consultation.

Mr McNarry left the meeting at 12.19 p.m.

Agreed – the Committee agreed that the Clerk would compile a response based on the discussion that had taken place and that it would be signed off at the meeting on 10 April 2008.

7. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed – the Committee agreed that there should be Hansard coverage for the presentations by the Ulster Angling Federation and National Museums NI and also the attendance of Departmental officials re the Armagh Observatory funding issue.

8. Correspondence

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 14 March 2008 from the Minister on funding concerns to the BELB.

Mr Bradley returned to the meeting at 12.33 p.m.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 13 March 2008 from the DCAL Permanent Secretary on the Northern Ireland Events Company.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 13 March 2008 from the Minister on the Review of Public Administration.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 18 March 2008 from the Arts Council on funding to the Belfast Community Circus School.

The Committee noted a copy of the Committee for Enterprise, Trade and Investment’s response to the Varney Review on the Competitiveness of the Northern Ireland Economy.

The Committee noted the update and amendment from the Department on the responses to the Ulster Scots Academy consultation.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 27 March 2008 from the Head of Linguistic Operations Branch on the British Irish Council for Indigenous, Minority and Lesser-Used Languages Sectoral Group.

The Committee noted the e-mail dated 19 March 2008 from the Committee for the Office of the First Minister and deputy First Minister on the Draft Public Authorities Bill.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to discuss a response at the meeting of 10 April 2008.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 1 April 2008 from the Minister which contained an invitation for the Chair and Deputy Chair to sponsor an “International Map Trade Association” in February 2009.

Agreed – the Committee agreed that the Chairperson and Deputy Chairperson should sponsor the “International Map Trade Association” in February along with the Minister.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Department which provided additional information on the proposed multi-sports stadium.

Agreed – the Committee agreed that the question the Department were unable to answer on the overall Masterplan costs, should be redirected to OFMDFM.

9. Any other business

There was no other business.

10. Date and time of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be on Thursday 10 April 2008 at 10.30 a.m.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.38 p.m.

MR BARRY MCELDUFF MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
2008

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up