Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Tuesday, 31 May 2011

Venue: Room 106

1. Introduction and Apologies

1.1 No apologies were noted.

2. Minutes of the meeting held on 23 May 2011

2.1 The minutes of both meetings held on 23 May were agreed and signed by the Speaker.

3. Matters arising

3.1 There were no matters arising.

4. Finalisation of Order Papers for Week Commencing 6 June 2011

Executive Business

4.1 Members noted that, apart from Question Time to the Office of the First Minister and deputy First Minister, and the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, no further Executive Business was expected on Monday 6 June.

4.2 Members noted that, apart from Question Time to the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure, and the Minister of Education, no further Executive Business was expected on Tuesday 7 June.

4.3 Committee Business

Members agreed to schedule an Alliance motion to replace a member on a Statutory Committee on Monday 6 June.

Private Members’ Business

4.4 Members agreed to schedule the presentation of a public petition by Mr Kieran McCarthy, on the reduction of funding for the Down Community Transport Service on Monday 6 June.

4.5 Members noted that, having deferred the choice of a Private Members’ motion at the last meeting, the DUP had informed the Clerk that it wished to select the motion on ‘Domestic Violence’ for Monday 6 June.

4.6 Members confirmed the following Private Members’ motions for Monday 6 June with the usual times:

  • Domestic Violence; and
  • Reform of Government Structures.

4.7 Members confirmed the following Private Members’ motions for Tuesday 7 June with the usual times:

  • A5 Dual Carriageway Project
  • Nursery Provision

Members also confirmed the Adjournment topic:

  • Minor Injuries Unit at Mid Ulster Hospital, Magherafelt

4.8 The junior Ministers confirmed that all relevant Ministers were available to respond to the Private Members’ motions and the Adjournment Debate.

5. Provisional arrangements for Plenary meetings in week commencing 13 June 2011

Executive Business

5.1 In addition to Question Time to the Minister for Employment and Learning and the Minister of Enterprise, Trade and Investment, members noted that the Supply Resolution for the Northern Ireland Main Estimates 2011/2012 and Supply Resolution for the 2009/10 Excess Votes were scheduled for Monday 13 June 2011; and that the First Stage of the Budget Bill was also scheduled for that day, subject to clearance from the Speaker.

5.2 Members noted that both motions would be debated together. Members agreed to allow 4 hours and 30 minutes for the debate, with one hour for the Minister to divide as required between moving and winding; and up to 10 minutes for all other speakers.

5.3 In addition to Question Time to the Minister of Finance and Personnel and the Minister of the Environment, members noted that the Second Stage of the Budget Bill was also scheduled for Tuesday 14 June.

Committee Business

5.4 There was no Committee business requested. However members noted that the Committee on Procedures motion to amend Standing Orders to provide for a Principal Deputy Speaker must be tabled by Monday 6 June, as agreed by the Assembly on 16 May 2011.

Private Members’ Business

5.5 Members agreed that, given the Budget debates, no Private Members’ motions would be selected for the week commencing 13 June.

5.6 However, Members agreed to schedule an Adjournment Debate on Tuesday 14 June. Under the system for allocating Adjournment Debates, the selection lay with the DUP.

The DUP selected the following topic:

  • Upgrade of A26 Glarryford to Ballycastle Junction (Mr M Storey).

Members agreed to schedule the topic as the Adjournment Debate on Tuesday 14 June.

5.7 The junior Ministers confirmed that the relevant Minister was available to respond to the Adjournment Debate.

6. Any Other Business

6.1 Members agreed to a request from the First Minister and deputy First Minister that their Question Time slot on 20 June be exchanged with the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development’s slot on 27 June.

6.2 The Speaker advised members that, as he would be away on official business for next week’s meeting, Mr Weir will be in the Chair.

7. Date and Time of next meeting

7.1 Members agreed to meet at approximately 12.30pm on Tuesday 7 June 2011 in Room 106.

The Speaker brought the meeting to a close at 12.39pm.

Mr Peter Weir 
Acting Chair

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up