Minutes of Proceedings
Date: Tuesday, 25 October 2011
Venue: Room 106
1. Introduction and Apologies
1.1 Apologies were noted from Mr Stewart Dickson, Mr John McCallister, Mr Pat Ramsey, junior Minister Anderson and junior Minister Bell. The Speaker welcomed Mr Kieran McCarthy who attended in place of Mr Dickson.
2. Minutes of the meeting held on 18 October 2011
2.1 The minutes of the meeting held on 18 October were agreed and signed by the Speaker.
3. Matters arising
3.1 There were no matters arising.
4. Finalisation of Order Papers for Week Commencing 7 November 2011
4.1 Members noted that no additional Executive Business had been scheduled.
4.2 Members noted that there was no Committee Business requested.
Private Members’ Business
4.3 Members noted that there were no changes to the Private Members’ Business previously agreed.
4.4 Members confirmed the following Private Members’ motions for Monday 7 November with the usual times:
- ‘Murder of Pat Finucane’; and
- ‘Aggregates Levy Rebate’.
4.5 Members confirmed the following Private Members’ motions for Tuesday 8 November with the usual times:
- ‘Review of Planning Enforcement’; and
- ‘Education and Skills Authority’.
Members also confirmed the Adjournment topic:
- ‘Ambulance cover in Newry and Armagh.’
4.6 Mr Rogers confirmed that all relevant Ministers were available to respond.
5. Provisional arrangements for Plenary meetings in week commencing 14 November 2011
5.1 Members noted that, apart from Question Time to the Office of the First Minister and deputy First Minister and the Minister for Regional Development, no further Executive Business had been scheduled on Monday 14 November.
5.2 Members noted that, apart from Question Time to the Minister for Social Development and the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure, no further Executive business had been scheduled on Tuesday 15 November.
5.3 Members noted that no Committee Business had been requested.
Private Members’ Business
5.4 Members agreed to schedule two Private Members’ Motions on Monday 14 November and two on Tuesday 15 November.
Under the system of allocation for Private Members’ motions the selections lay with the UUP, Sinn Féin, DUP and Sinn Féin.
The following motions were proposed:
- ‘Banning Smoking in Cars Carrying Children’ (Mr J McCallister, Mr S Gardiner);
- ‘Prison Review Team Final Report’ (Mr R McCartney, Ms J McCann, Mr S Lynch);
- ‘Disparity in Community Background in Students Attending University’ (Mr G Campbell, Mr A McQuillan); and
- ‘Roaming Charges’ (Mr P Flanagan, Mr D McKay, Ms S Ramsey).
5.5 Members agreed that up to 1 hour 30 minutes should be allocated for all the debates, with the usual speaking times.
5.6 Members agreed to schedule an Adjournment Debate on Tuesday 15 November. Under the system for allocating Adjournment Debates, the selection lay with the SDLP.
The SDLP selected the following topic:
- ‘Housing at the Girdwood Barracks site in North Belfast’
Members agreed to schedule the topic as the Adjournment Debate on Tuesday 15 November.
5.7 Mr Rogers advised that, while all relevant Ministers were available to respond to the Private Members’ Motions and the Adjournment debate, the Minister of Enterprise, Trade and Investment had indicated that responsibility for some of the issues in the motion on ‘Roaming Charges’ falls to OFCOM and the Westminster Government. The Minister would, however, respond to the motion.
6. Committee on Procedures research paper on family-friendly sittings in other legislatures
6.1 Members noted a letter from the Chair of the Committee on Procedures and a related research paper on family-friendly sittings in other legislatures. Members agreed that a letter of acknowledgement should issue from the Clerk.
7. Update on responses to Written Questions
7.1 Members noted an update on late responses to written questions and agreed to receive the next update at the first meeting following the Christmas recess.
8. Any Other Business
8.1 The Speaker reminded Members that motions cannot be tabled during the Halloween recess and that, consequently, amendments to motions for Monday 7 November must be tabled by 9.30am on Thursday 27 October; and amendments to motions for Tuesday 8 November must be tabled by 9.30am on Friday 28 October.
The Speaker advised Members that an All Party Notice with this information would issue after the meeting.
9. Date and Time of next meeting
9.1 Members agreed to meet at approximately 12.30pm on Tuesday 8 November 2011 in Room 106.
The Speaker brought the meeting to a close at 12.51pm.
Mr William Hay