Minutes of Proceedings
Date: Tuesday, 17 April 2012
Venue: Room 106, Parliament Buildings
1. Introduction and Apologies
1.1 Apologies were noted from Mr J McCallister.
2. Minutes of the meeting held on 27 March 2012
2.1 The minutes of the meeting held on 27 March were agreed and signed by the Speaker.
3. Matters arising
3.1 There were no matters arising.
4. Finalisation of Order Paper for Plenary meetings week commencing 23 April 2012
4.1 Members noted that in addition to business scheduled previously, a statement from the Minister for Employment and Learning on a Higher Education Strategy for Northern Ireland had been scheduled for Tuesday 24 April.
4.2 Members agreed to schedule motions to change Committee Membership on Monday 23 April.
Private Members’ Business
4.3 Members agreed to schedule two Private Members’ motions on Monday 23 April and one on Tuesday 24 April.
Under the system of allocation for Private Members’ motions the selections lay with Alliance, UUP and Sinn Fein.
The following motions were scheduled for Monday 23 April:
- ‘Pre-School Nursery Provision’ (Mrs J Cochrane, Ms A Lo, Mr C Lyttle, Mr T Lunn); and,
- ‘Multi-Agency Support Teams’ (Mr R Beggs, Mr J McCallister)
The following motion was scheduled for Tuesday 24 April:
- ‘Devolution of Fuel Duty Powers’ (Mr D McKay, Mr P Maskey, Mr C Murphy).
4.4 Members agreed that up to 1 hour 30 minutes should be allocated for each of the debates, with the usual speaking times.
4.5 Members agreed to schedule an Adjournment Debate on Tuesday 24 April 2012. The selection lay with Sinn Féin and the following topic was scheduled:
- ‘Progress of the East and West link road projects in Armagh City’ (Mr C Boylan)
Members agreed to schedule the topic as the Adjournment Debate on Tuesday 24 April.
4.4 Junior Minister Bell confirmed that all relevant Ministers were available to respond.
4.5 The Order Papers were agreed.
5. Provisional arrangements for Plenary meetings in week commencing 30 April 2012
5.1 Members noted that, other than DARD, DFP, DHSSPS and DOJ Question Times, no Executive Business had yet been scheduled for Monday 30 April and Tuesday 1 May.
5.2 Members agreed to schedule six motions from the Committee on Procedures to amend Standing Orders on Monday 30 April 2012. Members noted that the motions would be debated as a single group, and that while motions on Standing Orders were not normally limited, it was unlikely that the debate would take more than 20 minutes.
Private Members’ Business
5.3 Members agreed to schedule two Private Members’ motions on Monday 30 April and two on Tuesday 1 May.
Under the system of allocation for Private Members’ motions the selections lay with DUP, SDLP, DUP and Sinn Féin.
The following motion was scheduled for Monday 30 April:
- ‘Limit to Tax Relief on Charitable Donations’ (Mr P Weir, Mr A Ross, Mr S Hamilton, Mr A Easton).
The SDLP deferred its selection and undertook to inform the Clerk as soon as possible.
The following motions were scheduled for Tuesday 1 May:
- ‘Strategy to Promote Patient Safety’ (Mr J Wells, Ms P Bradley, Ms P Brown, Mr G Dunne); and
- ‘Pseudomonas Incidents in Neonatal Units’ (Ms S Ramsey, Ms M Gildernew, Mr M Brady).
5.4 Members agreed that up to 1 hour 30 minutes should be allocated for each of the debates, with the usual speaking times.
5.5 Members agreed to schedule an Adjournment Debate on Tuesday 1 May 2012. The selection lay with UUP and the following topic was scheduled:
- ‘The refurbishment and renovation of the Annadale Flats, South Belfast’ (Mr M McGimpsey).
Members agreed to schedule the topic as the Adjournment Debate on Tuesday 1 May.
5.6 Junior Minister Bell confirmed that all relevant Ministers were available to respond.
5.7 The provisional Order Papers were agreed.
6. Any other business
6.1 There was no other business
7. Date and Time of next meeting
7.1 Members agreed to meet at approximately 12.30pm on Tuesday 24 April 2012 in Room 106.
The Speaker brought the meeting to a close at 12.43pm.
Mr William Hay