Minutes of Proceedings
Date: Tuesday, 13 March 2012
Venue: Room 106, Parliament Buildings
1. Introduction and Apologies
1.1 There were no apologies.
2. Minutes of the meeting held on 6 March 2012
2.1 The minutes of the meeting held on 6 March were agreed and signed by the Speaker.
3. Matters arising
3.1 There were no matters arising.
4. Finalisation of Order Paper for Plenary meeting on Tuesday 20 March 2012
4.1 Members agreed that, in addition to business scheduled previously, the presentation of a public petition by Mr Pat Ramsey on the Proposed Closure of Woodlands Speech and Language Centre would be scheduled.
Members noted that two Social Development motions to affirm Regulations, agreed last week, had been postponed until Monday 26 March.
Members also noted the possibility of Ministerial Statements being notified.
4.2 Members agreed to schedule a motion to extend the Committee Stage of the Marine Bill until 6 July.
Private Members’ Business
4.3 Members noted that there were no requests for changes.
4.4 Junior Minister Anderson confirmed that all relevant Ministers were available.
4.5 The Order Paper was agreed.
5 Provisional arrangements for Plenary meetings in week commencing 26 March 2012
5.1 Members noted that the following Executive Business was scheduled for Monday 26 March:
- Second Stage – Superannuation Bill;
- Motion – Draft Rates (Deferment) (Revocation and Savings) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012;
- Motion – Mesothelioma Lump Sum Payments (Conditions and Amounts) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012;
- Motion – Pneumoconiosis, etc., (Workers’ Compensation) (Payment of Claims) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012; and
- Question Time to the Minister of the Environment, and the Minister of Health, Social Services and Public Safety.
5.2 Members noted that the following Executive Business was scheduled for Tuesday 27 March:
- Consideration Stage – Pensions Bill.
- Question Time to the Minister of Justice, the Minister for Regional Development and the Assembly Commission.
- Members also noted the possibility of Ministerial Statements on either day.
5.3 Members noted that no Committee Business had been requested.
Private Members’ Business
5.4 Members agreed to schedule one Private Members’ Motion on Monday 26 March and one on Tuesday 27 March 2012.
Given that parties had agreed to postpone their selected motions at the last Business Committee meeting, the choice lay again with the UUP and Sinn Féin.
The following motion was proposed and scheduled for Monday 26 March:
- ‘Multi-Agency Support Teams’ (Mr R Beggs, Mr J McCallister).
The following motion was proposed and scheduled for Tuesday 27 March:
- ‘Review of the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005’ (Ms J McCann, Mr R McCartney, Mr S Lynch).
5.5 Members agreed that up to 1 hour 30 minutes should be allocated for each of the debates, with the usual speaking times.
5.6 Members agreed to schedule an Adjournment Debate on Tuesday 27 March 2012. The selection lay with the SDLP and the following topic was selected:
- ‘Investment in sporting, cultural and tourism related projects and initiatives in West Tyrone’ (Mr J Byrne)
5.7 Junior Minister Anderson confirmed that all relevant Ministers were available to respond.
5.8 The provisional Order Papers were agreed.
6. Recess dates 2012/13
6.1 Members agreed the 2012/13 recess dates.
7. Any other business
7.1 The Speaker referred members to a letter from the First Minister and deputy First Minister requesting an exchange of their Question Time slot on 16 April with the Minister of the Environment on 24 April. Members noted that, in addition, the Minister of Enterprise, Trade and Investment was content to move to the second slot on 24 April, and approved the exchange.
8. Date and Time of next meeting
8.1 Members agreed to meet at approximately 12.30pm on Tuesday 20 March 2012 in Room 106.
The Speaker brought the meeting to a close at 12.41pm.
Mr William Hay