Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Tuesday, 12 June 2012

Venue: Room 106

The meeting began at 12.36pm.

1. Apologies

1.1 Apologies were noted from Mr S Dickson and Ms J McCann.  The Speaker welcomed Mr K McCarthy as the Alliance substitute.

2. Minutes of the meeting held on 29 May 2012

2.1 The minutes of the meeting held on 29 May were agreed and signed by the Speaker.  

3. Matters arising

3.1 There were no matters arising.  

4. Finalisation of Order Papers for plenary meetings in week commencing 18 June 2012

Executive Business

4.1 Members noted that, whilst a motion to suspend Standing Orders had been removed, all other Executive Business on Monday 18 June remained as agreed. 

4.2 Members noted that, in addition to the Executive Business already agreed, a statement from the Minister of Justice on the ‘Update on the Criminal Justice Intergovernmental Agreement’ had been scheduled for Tuesday 19 June.

Committee Business

4.3 Members noted that the joint motion from the Committee on Standards and Privileges and the Assembly Commission on the appointment of a Commissioner for Standards had been brought forward to Monday 18 June. 

4.4 Members agreed to schedule an SDLP motion to change Committee membership on Monday 18 June.

Private Members’ Business

4.5 Members agreed to schedule the presentation of two public petitions on Monday 18 June; the first to be presented by Ms Jennifer McCann relating to ‘Help Us Help Ourselves’ Suicide Awareness and Prevention Project, Poleglass; and the second to be presented by Mr Mike Nesbitt relating to the Wave Trauma Centre Research.

4.6 Junior Minister Bell confirmed the availability of all relevant Ministers.

4.7 The draft Order Papers were agreed.

5. Provisional arrangements for Plenary meetings in week commencing 25 June 2012

Executive Business

5.1 In addition to Question Time to the Minister of Justice and the Minister for Regional Development, members noted that the following Executive business had been scheduled for Monday 25 June:

  • Consideration Stage: Budget (No.2) Bill;
  • Motion to approve the draft Race Relations 1997 (Amendment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012; and
  • Motion to approve the draft Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide (2007 Act) (Commencement) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012.

5.2 In addition to Question Time to the Minister for Social Development and the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, members noted that the following Executive business had been scheduled for Tuesday 26 June:

  • Further Consideration Stage: Budget (No.2) Bill; and
  • Motion to approve the draft Docking of Working Dogs’ Tails (Certification and Identification) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012.

Committee Business

5.3 Members agreed to schedule a joint motion from the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure and the Committee for the Environment on Archaeological Artefacts on Monday 25 June.

5.4 Members agreed to schedule a motion from the Assembly and Executive Review Committee on its Review of the Number of Members of the Northern Ireland Assembly on Monday 25 June.

5.5 Members agreed the usual timings for both motions.

5.6 Members agreed to schedule a ‘Take Note’ motion from the Public Accounts Committee on its recent reports and memoranda of reply on Tuesday 26 June. Members agreed to allow 2 hours for the debate with 15 minutes to move, 15 minutes to wind, and 7 minutes for all others.  

5.7 Members noted the possibility of a Prayer of Annulment being tabled in relation to S.R. 2012/203.

Private Members’ Business

5.8 Members agreed not to schedule any Private Members’ motions on Monday 25 June or Tuesday 26 June, but also agreed to review the position at the next meeting of the Business Committee.

5.9 Members agreed to schedule an Adjournment Debate on Tuesday 26 June and the selection lay with Alliance. The following adjournment topic was scheduled:

  • ‘Primary education provision in East Belfast’ (Mr C Lyttle)

5.10 Junior Minister Bell confirmed that all relevant Ministers were available to respond.

5.11 The provisional Order Papers were agreed.

6. Any other business          

6.1 There was no other business.

7. Date and Time of next meeting

7.1 Members agreed to meet at approximately 12.30pm on Tuesday 19 June 2012 in Room 106.

The Chairperson brought the meeting to a close at 12.41pm.

Mr William Hay
Speaker

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up